• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 04 March 2016 - 10:10 AM

View PostGeoFalke, on 04 March 2016 - 10:00 AM, said:

I'm never really into "endgame" type things in any game I play. I find that "mid-high tier" is usually my sweet spot. Hell, I've played WoT since it left closed beta in 2011 and to this day I still only have one tier X tank. the rest is a huge amount of tier V-VIII, so I guess I'm more a collector than a grinder Posted Image

Awesome, well you won't have to worry about any depth or robust game features getting in the way of the mundane stuff that you can already do. Gratz. Collect away.

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 04 March 2016 - 09:54 AM, said:

Please don't discourage people from just having fun -- newbies don't need to look immediately to any end game, whether you think it's an acceptable one or not. Perhaps being a collector is fun for the OP -- it certainly is for me.

Where was I discouraging? Plenty of people collect mechs and still want CW to be fleshed out properly. The people that hold the game back are those who just mindlessly buy the redundant mechs and don't actually help nudge PGI to make the game have any long term focus.

Buy mechs and they will make more mechs for you to buy. Only way to get the right development is to stop paying for that so PGI is forced to refocus development. I wish they would wise up as the Devs for Warframe did.

Edited by GRiPSViGiL, 04 March 2016 - 10:10 AM.

#22 Remillard

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 11:06 AM

I wouldn't necessarily advise staying wholly out of CW either. I don't know about CW PUGging, but I thought it was awfully fun to pick up a 7 day faction loyalty and go hang out with that faction's Teamspeak. I got into several CW drops and got a chance to see that side of the game a little (96 mechs enter -- yada yada yada).

The key definitely is being with some folks who are at least somewhat organized and get to know them a little bit and have fun slagging mechs together. I think CW PUGging would be an exercise in futility.

#23 BarHaid

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 04 March 2016 - 06:05 PM

View PostGeoFalke, on 04 March 2016 - 05:59 AM, said:

I figured the Hero mechs worked like premium tanks in Warthunder and World of Tanks, and I'm not against that. I'd just prefer to get a solid grasp on the game and on what types of mechs suit me best before spending what little actual money my tuition payments left over.
Fun Fact for MWO: Hero Mechs are not usually the best chassis out there. They give you a C-bill boost, and so they usually have less hardpoints, or oddly placed ones. This is by design to reduce the "pay to win" whining that sweeps the forums regularly.

I like my heros, but they aren't my best performers.

#24 GeoFalke

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:04 AM

Update, got my first Hero Mech, and hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boy.

I enjoyed the Locust so I figured getting the Pirate's Bane would be a pretty good idea as a starter Hero mech. Only have had it for a day now and I'm already a knee-capping fool and the scourge of heavies, assaults, and lights on the other team. I even somehow have a 2.75 K/D with it.

I think I found my niche

Side note, is there anyone with advice on the Urbanmech? it's got fantastic firepower, but the poor thing is slower than the Direwolf trial D:

should I scrap the armor, the back-up laser weapons, or skimp on the main ballistic for a bigger engine?

#25 Trauglodyte

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:56 AM

Nice sentiment taking up your past generation's love. Kind of like a mech getting passed down from lore...

#26 Dahkoht

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 126 posts
  • LocationPelham,AL

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:59 AM

Welcome , and don't pay attention to the whiny try-hards who base their self worth on a video game.

It's a Mechwarrior game where you get to play Battletech mech's online again other people and have fun.

As long as you enjoy it , play it. Once you don't enjoy it , play something else.

#27 Chrome Magnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:05 AM

View PostGeoFalke, on 04 March 2016 - 05:59 AM, said:

I figured the Hero mechs worked like premium tanks in Warthunder and World of Tanks, and I'm not against that. I'd just prefer to get a solid grasp on the game and on what types of mechs suit me best before spending what little actual money my tuition payments left over.

If you haven't already done so be sure to collect the free premium time PGI is currently giving away and keep an eye on the website/log in info for events. When one remembers to factor in all the give aways and event rewards the "grind" becomes a lot easier.

This is a relatively little played alt account which I've spent no money on. It has 2 free mechs and a bunch of other goodies which I've mostly grabbed by playing events. I could actually have a couple other free mechs but didn't have time to get them on both accounts.

Welcome to the game!

Edited by Chrome Magnus, 06 March 2016 - 08:05 AM.

#28 BarHaid

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:27 AM

I don't recommend trying to max out the engine on an Urbie: you need to get used to being slow. Try an AC-10 and med lasers, or a PPC and a brace of machine guns. It's really not a meta or competitive ride. It's for having fun in.

#29 Sorbic

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:27 AM

View PostGeoFalke, on 06 March 2016 - 07:04 AM, said:

Update, got my first Hero Mech, and hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boy.

I enjoyed the Locust so I figured getting the Pirate's Bane would be a pretty good idea as a starter Hero mech. Only have had it for a day now and I'm already a knee-capping fool and the scourge of heavies, assaults, and lights on the other team. I even somehow have a 2.75 K/D with it.

I think I found my niche

Side note, is there anyone with advice on the Urbanmech? it's got fantastic firepower, but the poor thing is slower than the Direwolf trial D:

should I scrap the armor, the back-up laser weapons, or skimp on the main ballistic for a bigger engine?

I only occasionally run the AC20 because of speed/ammo issues. I much prefer the AC10 and the range/ammo it affords. My typical loadout is an XL120, AC10 with 2 tons of ammo, 1 ML and one JJ. This lets me have good/decent armor everywhere and still have a big gun.

It can be silly fun and there's nothing quiet like making a much larger, more capable mech turn tail and disengage after trading shots with your Urbie. It's hard for me (I have suicidal tendencies) but the Urbies cannon really shines at playing a support role and popping shots when a larger/faster mech has their attention. Sometimes I find it beneficial to forgo firing my ML as it tends to draw a bit more attention than a AC10 lumped in with someone elses fire and 10 pinpoint dmg can be really effective with such a high mount.

Get used to running forward while looking behind you. It's what really sets the mech apart and is something I quiet enjoy. Its a high kill to dmg mech! My good games with this set up is nearing 600 dmg (ammo limited) and my bad ones are... bad. Had a conquest game a couple days ago where almost my entire team had already made it below as I entered the center of HPG running (ha!) for the basement. Well, I was shredded before making it inside. Red F/R core, exposed ST missing AC10 arm... my dmg was pretty poor that round. Posted Image

Edited by Sorbic, 06 March 2016 - 08:30 AM.

#30 Beik Ross Norst

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 61 posts
  • LocationEerie, PA

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:28 AM

prepare to Pay to Win

#31 Sorbic

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:56 AM

View PostBeik Ross Norst, on 06 March 2016 - 08:28 AM, said:

prepare to Pay to Win

Can you tell me what I can do to P2W? I mean I've asked others how I can get this wondrous advantage but no ones been able to cite a single example. Was it the early access to the Urbie overlord mech? Or some of that MC that PGI has given me a bunch of?

#32 GeoFalke

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:39 AM

View PostSorbic, on 06 March 2016 - 08:56 AM, said:

Can you tell me what I can do to P2W? I mean I've asked others how I can get this wondrous advantage but no ones been able to cite a single example. Was it the early access to the Urbie overlord mech? Or some of that MC that PGI has given me a bunch of?

I bought a hero mech, does that mean i get to auto win now? clearly it should, I mean come on, it's called a HERO mech, everyone knows heroes always win the day and get the girl, right????? Posted Image

every single F2P game has a crowd of "P2W" criers, and out of all of em MWO seems to be the least P2W in my book. I'll gladly drop a bit of coin on paint jobs, bobbles for my cockpit, and maybe a c-bill grinder or two, and you can't stop me Beik Ross Norst :P

#33 Ilsen

• Pip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:51 AM

K/D, W/L, PSR... they are mere illusions, there is only the Grind, only the Grind is real... have fun. :)

Edited by DethStryke, 06 March 2016 - 10:53 AM.

#34 Summon3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:01 AM

View PostGeoFalke, on 04 March 2016 - 10:00 AM, said:

I'm never really into "endgame" type things in any game I play. I find that "mid-high tier" is usually my sweet spot. Hell, I've played WoT since it left closed beta in 2011 and to this day I still only have one tier X tank. the rest is a huge amount of tier V-VIII, so I guess I'm more a collector than a grinder Posted Image

i always found any of war gamings games fun tiers were 5-7, high tier complete waste of time.

welcome to MWO, as Grips said please help the community push PGI to give this game some depth :)

#35 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 06 March 2016 - 01:02 PM

urbies are fun - not the best light but when yer starting out and trying sh*t out who cares!

i went dual LPL when i leveled mine but this is my current build

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...20360f54acbcfaf

pulse lasers are the nice for poking out of cover, firing, then hiding before the enemy can get a bead on you

#36 SQW

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:56 PM

View PostElkfire, on 04 March 2016 - 06:27 AM, said:

I'd recommend using http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/ to play with builds, it can be pretty useful for seeing what fits and other information before buying a new mech (though there's a similar functionality in the Store now, just depends on your preference, I like Smurfy due to the organization of information).

You can do it in mech lab before you purchase - just select the mech and click the small mech lab button on the bottom right hand corner. Smurfy feels too clunky to me.

#37 GeoFalke

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:53 PM

View PostSQW, on 06 March 2016 - 04:56 PM, said:

You can do it in mech lab before you purchase - just select the mech and click the small mech lab button on the bottom right hand corner. Smurfy feels too clunky to me.

I tried smurfy and it would be a really nice tool, but if it was a bit more like coriolis.io for Elite: Dangerous I'd use it a lot more.

#38 Jazzbandit1313

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,088 posts
  • Location--- Star's End ---- -- Novo Cressidas --

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:59 PM

Posted Image

#39 Cath

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:14 PM

View PostGeoFalke, on 06 March 2016 - 07:04 AM, said:

I think I found my niche

I like the urbies, and I'm not a light type. I use med pulse and machine guns on all of them. std 180 engine, double heatsinks. Play like a fast weak medium. They top out at 104kph with speed tweak, so most true lights will blow them away. Stick with heavier mechs and plug away. Best damage so far was around 600 in one match. Good times.

#40 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:18 PM

View PostGeoFalke, on 06 March 2016 - 10:39 AM, said:

I bought a hero mech, does that mean i get to auto win now? clearly it should, I mean come on, it's called a HERO mech, everyone knows heroes always win the day and get the girl, right????? Posted Image

every single F2P game has a crowd of "P2W" criers, and out of all of em MWO seems to be the least P2W in my book. I'll gladly drop a bit of coin on paint jobs, bobbles for my cockpit, and maybe a c-bill grinder or two, and you can't stop me Beik Ross Norst :P

Very not pay to win game. Not even a little bit. Problem is that even if a players wants to pay to play they make it tough. Very little premium content yet.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users