Large Number of founders sold and what it could mean for MWO.

52 replies to this topic

#1 Soulvoid

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:58 PM

With the large number of founder accounts, most of them being Legendary, Piranah is in a good position to really shine when this finally releases (I almost said something like "Chew through their competition", then remembered that they really don't have any). Reasoning:

-Most smaller developers are in a crunch for time/funds, the eternal catch 22. This can further be compounded if their publisher is pressing for a release ASAFP (Freaking) so they can recoup their investment. They need to release the game as soon as possible to get funds, but without funds, game development can falter delaying the release. I realize that this game is a passion for the developers of Piranha games, but funding woes can get anyone down.

-Being a true passion for the developers, they want to make this the most awesome experience that is possible, even to the point of bending the laws of technology/resources/time to make it happen. For us as the perspective gamer/clients this is awesome.

-11K+ testers already in the beta with more being added as soon as they are capable. More testing, better final outcome, etc....

-No rush to put out a buggy half-arsed semblance of a game. Lets be honest, a lot of the gamers today are very unforgiving when it comes to even the most minor annoyances. Graphics have to be awesome, animation awesome, etc... frankly, I am more the "Gameplay has to be awesome" first, the rest can be added as time/reources permit.

What this means to us as the future Pilots of MWO:

-possible longer delay to finally get the game released. - I am a firm believer of "its ready when its ready" and unlike a very large Game Developer that officially has a motto close if not identical to this, I do not believe that the DEVs of MWO would release something that they have this much passion for in a state that will just alienate their biggest supporters. - BIG PLUS in my book

-more complete, polished, fun experience for us when we finally do get our hands on this game. - Another BIG PLUS

So, for the reading challenged: Better Game, maybe longer delay, continue being patient, and don't let your patience remain PENDING or become suspended.

#2 Lord Ikka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:02 PM

+1
Couldn't have said it better myself.

#3 MechaDraco

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 136 posts
  • LocationEqustria

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:06 PM

well regardless of what they do, they have already stated that founders will get in by aug 7th and have yet to say anything about that changing, so out right I don't forsee a delay, the game will be better because with the extra money they can easily put in the work of adding new content and fixing bugs/glitches.

I am in agreement with better to wait till it's done, then to release an unfinished game, but I still like for a company to stick to their anouncments and schedualed dates, so I essentially think that more than likely the game will be great, and I am glad to see so many people supporting the game buy buy the legendary pack.

#4 RudeDogX

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationTampa FL

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

Well said Soul

I agree whole heartedly-- from the looks of the beta videos it seems like they may be close to Battlefield 3 graphics { which are the most awsome graphics i have ever seen } If they can do that we will all be in Mechwarrior Heaven . Looking forward to playing Aug 7th--we can consider it an after Beta Beta so they can iron out any remaining issues----chopping at the bit to try it

#5 Donovan Jenks

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

With the number of founders packages sold right around 16,000 I think that will be the 8/7/12 test will be the kick-off of open beta by essentially doubleing the server population. This will also give them some time to test the matching algorithms and see how the balance fairs before adding more people to the open beta.

From everything I have read 8/7/12 is the lauch of the open beta not the launch of the game. This still gives them a lot of flexibility with staying in open beta longer to work out any bugs before moving to full production.

I agree that Piranha has show great attention to detail and been patient with this process effectively generating an increase in anticipation and awareness to drum up some revenue while still not having to rush a half finished product to market.

#6 Chip Geek

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

View PostDonovan Jenks, on 13 July 2012 - 03:16 PM, said:

From everything I have read 8/7/12 is the lauch of the open beta not the launch of the game. This still gives them a lot of flexibility with staying in open beta longer to work out any bugs before moving to full production.
I may be wrong, but I thought the August 7 beta was still CLOSED beta - but it just lets all of the founders in at that time. I do not think a date for OPEN beta has been announced yet. Just a vague "summer" date for the open beta (which could be anytime up to September 21 - the first day of fall).

#7 CommanderOSIS

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:27 PM

honestly I find graphics to be secondary to gameplay. I hardly ever just wander around a game and go "ooh ah" I just blow stuff up and run through it. its nice but not a deal breaker. I dont expect the best graphics out of ftp either. just bring my MW back please :P

#8 Apachi69

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:31 PM

Wow well said I am not gona lie I wana play this so bad but if playing it early means playing a half arsed buggy game I would rather wait.besides they have worked long and hard on this to pull a Star Trek online or an Age of Conan :P ROFL and yes the gameing comunity is very unforgiving.

#9 Greevis

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

OP said it better than i ever could. And its great to see the reply's so far are supportive of Piranha . Nothing is more disheartening than people complaining that they "want it now". I would rather wait until it is ready , Ive waited a long time for this game and I wouldnt want to see it released with gameplay problems. Doesnt matter how pretty the graphics are if the game isnt performing properly thats a major enjoyment killer.

#10 Soulvoid

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:41 PM

View PostDonovan Jenks, on 13 July 2012 - 03:16 PM, said:

From Bryan Ekman 4Jul2012

For one, standard retail ALPHA/BETA definitions do not apply to online F2P games. The game will always be in development, which means, new features and content will roll out frequently. We have not announced hard dates for Open Beta or Release. Our goal has always been to hit Open Beta before the end of summer.

Founder's:
  • On August 7th, Founder's early access will begin and still considered part of the Closed Beta period.
  • Player's will have access to all of their Founder's perks and rewards.
  • -->These rewards will be reset from time-to-time during until Open Beta. (new)<--
  • When MWO goes Open Beta, all Founder's perks and rewards will be reset to 100% for the final time.
  • Once in Open Beta, your premium account bonuses will begin, and any MC used will be permanently spent.

So no open beta 7AUG2012.

Also since the production equipment is still not fully online, the timetable has slipped at least a bit. From everything posted, early access to closed beta for founders is still (currently) 7Aug2012.

#11 Donovan Jenks

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

View PostChip Geek, on 13 July 2012 - 03:26 PM, said:

I may be wrong, but I thought the August 7 beta was still CLOSED beta - but it just lets all of the founders in at that time. I do not think a date for OPEN beta has been announced yet. Just a vague "summer" date for the open beta (which could be anytime up to September 21 - the first day of fall).

If that is true it gives them even more time to work through any issues and create the best product they can.

I guess I thought 8/7 was open beta becasue the secret will be out as to who is involved in the closed beta as everyone with a Founder's Tag will be in.

Holy NDA Batman!

#12 Adm Awesome

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

I just can't wait till 2 or 3 years later when many founders kinda trickle away and/or the game is just over populated by people without founder programs that we are like MWO icons xD

Kinda like people who still have the Stallion epic mount in wow
Posted Image
(was taken out of the game only a few months after initial launch)

#13 Brethan

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:54 PM

MWO is model as micro trans game. It's a hit or miss, but as long as the devs are persistant with banning hackers the game could be as big as Combat Arms.

Since, i haven't beta I don't know if there's a hack shield for MWO but I sure as hell hope one is in place.

#14 Lunchmeat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

100% agree with the OP.

#15 Latriam

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 146 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

actually the hack shield is one of the reasons its taking so long. the engineer omid said they are acting on "an ouce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" he mentioned this makes it harder now but down the road keeps the cheaters at bay and they all really hate the cheaters ruining the game. he specifically said that the way its set right now if you cheated you still could not get your mech above the sop speed that the mech chasis is supposed to have. I am hoping they did the same thing for weapons.

This also makes me feel better about a late release than an early one. get it set right now like perfection, then add on the easier stuff later, more maps, more mechs etc.

also said that the falling down was an issue they are working on.

Edited by Latriam, 13 July 2012 - 04:02 PM.

#16 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

It means 2 things. Money and Player base. Which can be translated into success.

#17 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

More beer for the office parties?

#18 Grey Weasel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationToledo,OH

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

View PostBrethan, on 13 July 2012 - 03:54 PM, said:

MWO is model as micro trans game. It's a hit or miss, but as long as the devs are persistant with banning hackers the game could be as big as Combat Arms.

Since, i haven't beta I don't know if there's a hack shield for MWO but I sure as hell hope one is in place.

There was a post regarding this in one of the dev chats. Apparently the game is processed server side, so client side hacks will not work. It was a little more detailed than that, but up on software tech I am not.

#19 Gray Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 168 posts
  • LocationHannover, Germany

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:39 PM

+1 from me. Exactly what i was thinking, too.

#20 Endless Ike

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:44 PM

View PostButane9000, on 13 July 2012 - 04:04 PM, said:

It means 2 things. Money and Player base. Which can be translated into success.

POWER AND THE MONEY; MONEY AND THE POWER; MINUTE AFTER MINUTE; HOUR AFTER HOUR

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users