Pgi: Please Make The (S) Variant Into A Token That We The Player Can Chose Which Mech To Bestow It Upon?

89 replies to this topic

#41 RAM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 2,019 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:44 AM

View PostDirus Nigh, on 05 March 2016 - 10:12 PM, said:

The S variants are always the original and or most common variant in battletech. In other words the one fully stated out in the TROs while the variants have a small paragraph for a side note.

No Posted Image

RAM
ELH

#42 Aleski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 873 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:55 AM

This is a vey nice idea. I hope Russ will answer on Twitter.

I think it's not very complicated to had this option, it's only about the 30% C-bill boost.

Thumbs up, Bishop ;)

#43 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:27 AM

View PostCathy, on 06 March 2016 - 04:15 AM, said:

Good idea, though, I don't think the Hero should be included in the option, while most are having sensible thoughts about this idea, I'm sure that a few are thinking, great I can make it a 60% c-bill bonus and not 30%.

This actually has a lot of merit also, and I can't really decide which I like best.

However in Armoured Warfare, Premium Tanks modules are already fitted and locked, some like the Chieftain Mk6 come with fully skilled crews as well, and are far more effective than most of P.G.I's hero mechs.

If P.G.I did have a battle harden system it would make the current and future Hero's worthless, unless they adopted a system that would have many in this community screaming P2W, as I doubt that P.G.I would lock down the custom system and put modules into a hero.

Bishops certainly would be the better system, for people that buy the pre orders and support the game, and easier to implement, not sure if it would cause that many extra sales, it might attract a few more meta heads into buying packs.

Saints idea is far more flexible, and would bring in extra cash from every one, but I think would add problems as I mentioned above.

I do use this system in A.W. but only with Artillery as I'm not very good with them, and want to grind the hell out them as fast as possible, it could also be adopted and still keep packs, but it certainly won't bring in enough income, to keep the game alive, if mech production slowed in the future due to budget reduction.

Heroes would not be worthless, this type of change would actually increase their value because they come with the 30% bonus built in with no need to pay extra to add it or anything. Heroes also have unique hardpoints and paint so people would still buy them just for that.

#44 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:54 AM

View PostTed Wayz, on 06 March 2016 - 12:38 AM, said:

If it was not an issue then why do we have to wait for a ridiculous amount of time for skins? Maybe because it is not that easy for PGI? Well to answer my own question it isn't and PGI has said as much about two years ago.

And this idea would preclude the return of repairing mechs. So beyond taking resources it would move MWO even further away from Battletech.

Back to the drawing board? Besides, only on page 2 at this point so not such a popular idea?

Wow. You really do have no clue what you're talking about. And "preclude the return of repairing mechs"? LOLwut?

#45 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:58 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 05 March 2016 - 08:34 PM, said:

Sorry, Bish, but if u look at it, average (S) is the worst variant.
I'm not even attacking pgi, tho: that makes sense: (S) variant gives you something more in c-bills, then it will give u less in the built.

It's really not a cunning plan; the S variant is by default the base variant of the mech.

#46 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:59 AM

View PostCathy, on 06 March 2016 - 04:15 AM, said:

Good idea, though, I don't think the Hero should be included in the option, while most are having sensible thoughts about this idea, I'm sure that a few are thinking, great I can make it a 60% c-bill bonus and not 30%.

This actually has a lot of merit also, and I can't really decide which I like best.

However in Armoured Warfare, Premium Tanks modules are already fitted and locked, some like the Chieftain Mk6 come with fully skilled crews as well, and are far more effective than most of P.G.I's hero mechs.

If P.G.I did have a battle harden system it would make the current and future Hero's worthless, unless they adopted a system that would have many in this community screaming P2W, as I doubt that P.G.I would lock down the custom system and put modules into a hero.

Bishops certainly would be the better system, for people that buy the pre orders and support the game, and easier to implement, not sure if it would cause that many extra sales, it might attract a few more meta heads into buying packs.

Saints idea is far more flexible, and would bring in extra cash from every one, but I think would add problems as I mentioned above.

I do use this system in A.W. but only with Artillery as I'm not very good with them, and want to grind the hell out them as fast as possible, it could also be adopted and still keep packs, but it certainly won't bring in enough income, to keep the game alive, if mech production slowed in the future due to budget reduction.

Hmmm, perhaps I should clarify, what I was thinking only applies to the Mech Variants available in the Collector's Pack, not the Hero, not the Reinforcements. I dunno if it would be any issue to add the reinforcements to the "bucket" so to speak. If not, great! If so, still having the base 3-4 that come in the standard/collectors collection (though I guess early adopter variants caused such QQ that they are a thing of the past now?) would I believe, be pretty big.

#47 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:00 AM

This is a good idea.

#48 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:10 AM

View PostTed Wayz, on 06 March 2016 - 12:38 AM, said:

If it was not an issue then why do we have to wait for a ridiculous amount of time for skins? Maybe because it is not that easy for PGI? Well to answer my own question it isn't and PGI has said as much about two years ago.
They don't add new skins because it's extremely time consuming to make them for each mech, AND each new skin they add increases the mech design cost further for new mechs. This is the

And this idea would preclude the return of repairing mechs. So beyond taking resources it would move MWO even further away from Battletech.
Wat? Choosing which mech got the bonus would preclude the repairing of mechs? There are three problems with this comment.

#1) It doesn't - with or without this idea, you still have a mech granting you 30% bonus cbills. Nothing changes in the economy. Nothing changes in how many cbill bonus mechs you have. It's just a matter of WHICH mech grants bonus cbills.
#2) Rearm and Repair is never coming back. I can't believe you're still holding a torch for that - PGI doesn't even say they're looking to bring it back at any point in the future. It was taken out because it made no sense in a game like this, and cannot be balanced so that it's both relevant and doesn't harshly penalize new players while being irrelevant for experienced players. Regardless, it's never coming back.
#3) "It would move MWO further from Battletech": What? We don't have R&R now. If we never have it again, we remain at exactly the same "distance" from Battletech as we are right now. That's assuming having R&R is somehow more "battletech" in the first place. Keep in mind, just playing stand-alone tabletop battles at a given BV point value(or even just with whatever mechs you want at random) is no more distant from "Battletech" then playing a full RPG style campaign. But MWO simply lacks any features of a campaign mode, so R&R in and of itself is a totally random and pointless thing to have without a hell of a lot of other background features for it to make sense in the first place.

Back to the drawing board? Besides, only on page 2 at this point so not such a popular idea?
It seems pretty popular to me.

I mean, your ridiculous post aside, I haven't seen anyone whatsoever opposed to it.

#49 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:21 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 06 March 2016 - 08:58 AM, said:

It's really not a cunning plan; the S variant is by default the base variant of the mech.

or what PGI assumed the "common" version to be, hence why most of the R1s were the 3050 tro version, instead of the more common 3025 tro versions.

#50 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:23 AM

If you can't sell other special variants because that would mean losing it forever, I doubt PGI is capable or willing to let people choose the special variant when buying a mech pack.

So let people sell it, and if they sell it they get the S token back. I dont see the big deal.

And it should be retroactively applied to ALL packs... just remove all the S variants and replace them with normal variants and give everyone a number of tokens that corresponds to however many S variants they had. And let them apply the S tokens however they choose.

Basically S tokens should be turned into a solvent item that can be applied to ANY mech. PGI could also sell S tokens in the store for like 1000MC-1500 MC each to turn any mech into an S variant that gains +30% cbills.

Edited by Khobai, 06 March 2016 - 09:28 AM.

#51 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:29 AM

View PostPjwned, on 05 March 2016 - 04:27 PM, said:

If you can't sell other special variants because that would mean losing it forever, I doubt PGI is capable or willing to let people choose the special variant when buying a mech pack.

I'm not against it or anything, I just doubt it will happen.

Not seeing the issue. Just means that the Special variant you choose is the one locked in your mechlab. *shrugs*

#52 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:32 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 06 March 2016 - 09:29 AM, said:

Not seeing the issue. Just means that the Special variant you choose is the one locked in your mechlab. *shrugs*

....or you do let people sell it, and (preferably) give you the token back or (it'd still be better than the current system) just have the token/bonus/status lost when the mech is sold. Add extra confirmation dialogs.

Not really a big problem at all.

#53 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:36 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 06 March 2016 - 09:32 AM, said:

....or you do let people sell it, and (preferably) give you the token back or (it'd still be better than the current system) just have the token/bonus/status lost when the mech is sold. Add extra confirmation dialogs.

Not really a big problem at all.

I don't see them letting you have the token separate from the mech, as having "loose" tokens and reassigning after I could see where that adds extra layers of programming, and even a little gaming involved. I mean, you can sell a Hero, so I guess I could see selling it and losing it, but I think long term, the "locked" solution they go with now minimizes butthurt.

#54 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:37 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 06 March 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

I don't see them letting you have the token separate from the mech, as having "loose" tokens and reassigning after I could see where that adds extra layers of programming, and even a little gaming involved. I mean, you can sell a Hero, so I guess I could see selling it and losing it, but I think long term, the "locked" solution they go with now minimizes butthurt.

Yeah, I don't really care either way. Just mostly saying it's totally a non-issue, there are countless "solutions" to the not-a-problem :)

#55 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:29 AM

I don't want to buy mech packs with mechs I already own just to get a token to make the mech I actually want a c-bill earner.

Just sell me the token directly, and for a reasonable price so I can feasibly put it on something not in the heavy or assault class.

#56 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:32 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 05 March 2016 - 03:56 PM, said:

As the title says.

So often there's a lot of frustration as to which model gets the "Special" cbill earning designation.

Mind you this is not something I am recommending as a retroactive thing, but as something going forward.

Why can't the (S) be issued as a Token, something that we get to decide, one time, then it's permanent, just like Faction Content?

I don't want to lobby, for instance, to change the PHX-(S) to a specific model. Because as I learned when I did that for the Zeus, for every person it "helps", you cheese off a bunch more people who want the OTHER version as their C-Bill earner.

Before, the Special came with unique geometry, etc. So it was really not feasible. Now? No such obstacle. The Geometry is the same across the board. As best I can tell, there is no programming issue that should make it a problem to do.

So one does thusly:

1) Purchase Collectors Mech Pack.
2) Goes to a selection screen (just like Faction content) and Chooses which of the Variants in the pack to bestow the (S) Token upon.
3) Confirms (twice) Selection
4) Now gets to use the variant of preference as their Primary/Cbill earning version.

I believe it would significantly boost sales of Collectors Packs, make them more of a "value" to the customer (I would prefer them to be about half the price, but that is an argument/debate for another thread. Or maybe get the "Base" Collectors for 10$ markup, and the "Choice Package" for an additional $5-10? ) and do not see where it would add any significant workload to PGI.

Thoughts?

***Edit***

For the record, I am only talking about the token being applicable to Mech sin the "Base" (Collectors) Package, not the Hero Mech, or even this new trend for "Reinforcements". Not sure if it would be any real issue to add the reinforcements, and if not, great, but if so, still getting to choose between the 3-4 base variants would be huge, IMO.

+1

Seeing as the Collector variants don't have the special geometry I think this would be a positive change. If they ever do a pack with special geometry again I'd be okay with it being a set variant then.

#57 Armorine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 398 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 12:23 PM

this is a fantastic idea. id get behind this 100 percent. whos gonna tweet russ about this?

#58 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 01:50 PM

View Postsycocys, on 06 March 2016 - 10:29 AM, said:

I don't want to buy mech packs with mechs I already own just to get a token to make the mech I actually want a c-bill earner.

Just sell me the token directly, and for a reasonable price so I can feasibly put it on something not in the heavy or assault class.

if you note, the OP specifically states this is not asking for retroactive capability. That will never happen, as I am relatively sure "blank marker tokens" won't either.

#59 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:30 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 05 March 2016 - 04:42 PM, said:

Don't see PGI going there because then one would have little incentive to buy actual mech packs, instead just waiting for cbill mechs then buying just the token.

Seems like it should be pretty trivial for them to limit the tokens to just Mech pack purchases. Worst case, put a (P)... er, no that's Phoenix... how about (S)? No, that's "special".

Um... put a (X) on all pack purchased Mechs to differentiate them from c-bill purchased Mechs!

#60 Fleeb the Mad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 441 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:05 PM

I'd be on board.

I don't get a lot of mileage out of package special variants. They are not universally terrible, though I find the variant I like best is usually not the special one.

More to the point I have some old mechs that've been with me since the great reset and I'd like to upgrade the ones I play lots but aren't one of the esteemed champion variants.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users