How Many T1's Can Pull Off An Xl Stalker?

33 replies to this topic

#1 Rhent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 08:49 PM

How many T1's can pull off an XL, pics or it didn't happen?

http://imgur.com/dKJxzY9

#2 Sigilum Sanctum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 March 2016 - 08:53 PM

I don't understand why one would inherently cripple themselves.

Withdrawn.

Edited by Sigilum Sanctum, 05 March 2016 - 09:05 PM.

#3 No Guts No Glory

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 235 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 08:55 PM

View PostSigilum Sanctum, on 05 March 2016 - 08:53 PM, said:

Cuz some people like the challenge?

#4 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 08:58 PM

No one will XL cripple themselves, well....if it lets them add 2 more LL, they might. I mean, who doesnt love 8 LL on thier stalker!?

#5 Rhent

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:01 PM

View PostSigilum Sanctum, on 05 March 2016 - 08:53 PM, said:

Its more about understanding how to:
1. Build a mech
2. Play a mech

If you are going to build a LRM mech as an assault, you can go STD carry less weapons, less ammo and move slower OR go XL and only expose yourself when you know where the enemy are and that is to TAG + get Artemis bonus. If you are in a LRM boat and regularly exposing yourself to damage and being 200M from the enemy there is a reason why you are having problems. I normally run LRM's + LPL back ups to deal with single mechs that close.

#6 Sigilum Sanctum

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:03 PM

View PostNo Guts No Glory, on 05 March 2016 - 08:55 PM, said:

Cuz some people like the challenge?

That's certainly an interesting way to challenge ones self.

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 05 March 2016 - 08:58 PM, said:

No one will XL cripple themselves, well....if it lets them add 2 more LL, they might. I mean, who doesnt love 8 LL on thier stalker!?

No one, because no Stalker has more than 6E hardpoints.

View PostRhent, on 05 March 2016 - 09:01 PM, said:

Its more about understanding how to:
1. Build a mech
2. Play a mech

I'll concede to that, actually. Whenever I notice myself falling into some bad habits, I'll drop for a while in my Vindicators, help me break those habits and keep my edge.

I'll withdraw my question.

Edited by Sigilum Sanctum, 05 March 2016 - 09:06 PM.

#7 Rhent

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:11 PM

View PostSigilum Sanctum, on 05 March 2016 - 09:03 PM, said:

That's certainly an interesting way to challenge ones self.

No one, because no Stalker has more than 6E hardpoints.

I'll concede to that, actually. Whenever I notice myself falling into some bad habits, I'll drop for a while in my Vindicators, help me break those habits and keep my edge.

I'll withdraw my question.

Other than LRM mech game play, the other thing that irks me is the Stalker as a brawler. Stalkers can "Brawl", but not effectively compared to other mechs. You are going to have to go with a sword and board build on a Stalker if you plan on brawling. Its possible, but you lose half the chassis. And the Stalker is almost all energy and missile hard points, none of which are heat efficient to withstand a single flamer and it will shut down. My brawler stalker I play is an AC/10 + 3 LPL + 14 DHS, its heat efficient, but again, at 85 Tons, you are better off with a BLR to brawl.

#8 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:17 PM

With max engine rating of 310, there is almost no point in using XL Stalker, even if it was not blimp shaped. Any T1 player worth his salt knows that.

Only XL Stalker I used with success was the STK-3H LRM boat, but ever since LRM5 GH was coupled with larger launchers, it is not worth bringing any more.

Edited by El Bandito, 05 March 2016 - 09:18 PM.

#9 Sigilum Sanctum

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:18 PM

View PostRhent, on 05 March 2016 - 09:11 PM, said:

Other than LRM mech game play, the other thing that irks me is the Stalker as a brawler. Stalkers can "Brawl", but not effectively compared to other mechs. You are going to have to go with a sword and board build on a Stalker if you plan on brawling. Its possible, but you lose half the chassis. And the Stalker is almost all energy and missile hard points, none of which are heat efficient to withstand a single flamer and it will shut down. My brawler stalker I play is an AC/10 + 3 LPL + 14 DHS, its heat efficient, but again, at 85 Tons, you are better off with a BLR to brawl.

I'll argue this with this build:
Jackhammer STK-5M

Stolen from Ninjamoose, used to great effect.

#10 Rhent

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:21 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 05 March 2016 - 09:17 PM, said:

With max engine rating of 310, there is almost no point in using XL Stalker, even if it was not blimp shaped. Any T1 player worth his salt knows that.

Only XL Stalker I used with success was the STK-3H LRM boat, but ever since LRM5 GH was coupled with larger launchers, it is not worth bringing any more.

Tighter Shot groups with LRM 5's / LRM 10's + T1 - T2 players don't carry AMS + Capability to carry 2 LPL's when you know how to shoot + 1980 rounds makes an XL Stalker a lot of damage compared to running a STD Stalker w/ 3 ML + Tag + LRM's. The difference being the XL can actually kill a mech that closes, whereas the ML mech will go down fast.

#11 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:29 PM

View PostRhent, on 05 March 2016 - 09:21 PM, said:

Tighter Shot groups with LRM 5's / LRM 10's + T1 - T2 players don't carry AMS + Capability to carry 2 LPL's when you know how to shoot + 1980 rounds makes an XL Stalker a lot of damage compared to running a STD Stalker w/ 3 ML + Tag + LRM's. The difference being the XL can actually kill a mech that closes, whereas the ML mech will go down fast.

1. If I want to bring LRM boat Assault, then Stalkers are not very high on my list in the first place, due to quirks and hitboxes. An XL Awesome-8R is simply miles better.

2. Std engine Stalker does just fine with LRMs. Observe this match result, in which I used a STK-5M wielding 5xLRM5+LPL+3ML+TAG. Four of the eight kills I had were done close range using the lasers. No need for XL here.

Posted Image

Edited by El Bandito, 05 March 2016 - 09:30 PM.

#12 Rhent

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:37 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 05 March 2016 - 09:29 PM, said:

1. If I want to bring LRM boat Assault, then Stalkers are not very high on my list in the first place, thanks to quirks.

2. Std engine Stalker does just fine with LRMs. Observe this match result, in which I used a STK-5M wielding 5xLRM5+LPL+3ML+TAG. Four of the eight kills I had were done close range using the lasers. No need for XL here.

View PostEl Bandito, on 05 March 2016 - 09:29 PM, said:

1. If I want to bring LRM boat Assault, then Stalkers are not very high on my list in the first place, due to quirks and hitboxes. An XL Awesome-8R is simply miles better.

Posted Image

To each their own. I add in two more 10's for heat efficiency and I run artemis to help with the grouping. I'm able to get the artemis bonus + tag wiothout dying with an XL. Not sure if you have problems doing that.

Edited by Rhent, 05 March 2016 - 09:38 PM.

#13 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,980 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:45 AM

Sure, you can play an XL stalker, if you go sit in a corner and never get shot at.

#14 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:39 AM

T1 and XL stalker..... don't go together.

XL stalker is an easy kill ;)

#15 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:18 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 05 March 2016 - 09:17 PM, said:

It's true. When you can equip what are the most effective loadouts with a 300 std and right up to its top engine size why would you run an xl?

If you want to run a bad mech, there's plenty to choose from without having to go out of your way to make a decent chassis bad.

#16 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:32 AM

Noice.

My perception (correct me if I'm wrong) is that you just have to have a very lucky match to get Ace of Spades, and that you could as easily get it in an ACH as a Stalker.

I've had several 7-kill matches, just never managed to get the lucky 8th. One day, hopefully.

Edited by Appogee, 06 March 2016 - 07:32 AM.

#17 MerryIguana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 627 posts
  • LocationLurksville

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:40 AM

Can? Sure.
Would? No f'ing way.

#18 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:43 AM

View PostAppogee, on 06 March 2016 - 07:32 AM, said:

I've had several 7-kill matches, just never managed to get the lucky 8th. One day, hopefully.

The best way to get the high kill matches from my experience is in faster mechs with 6-8 lasers and - energy duration quirks.

The BJ-1X was a great candidate because of its engine rating boost, the DC still has the -duration though. I've gotten a few 6-7s with it while leveling it up. Past that a lot amounts to genuine luck of being in the right place at the right time.

#19 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:49 AM

XL Gauss Misery

It holds true to it's name in this configuration. Posted Image

#20 Warblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 503 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Qc, Cnd

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:55 AM

XL Stalker eh??

5M
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...63f75276cccfc56

Edited by Warblood, 06 March 2016 - 09:57 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users