• Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:10 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 07 March 2016 - 01:18 PM, said:

Posted Image ...
When did this happen? I'm pretty sure it still says X2 next to basics after you finish all of the elites, or am I misunderstanding something here? If it really is only 10-15% now then as far as I am concerned there is pretty much no reason to ever buy 3 mechs to get the elites, and the complete redo on the mech trees is needed now more than ever.

It still says it in game but they were reduced a couple of months ago

#42 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,072 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:17 PM

i master everything before i sell it. you dont have to, but its just something i do. many mechs are just terrible before they get their elite bonuses, and then turn out to be really good. i also like to put the last nail in the coffin.

#43 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:53 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 07 March 2016 - 06:17 PM, said:

i master everything before i sell it. you dont have to, but its just something i do. many mechs are just terrible before they get their elite bonuses, and then turn out to be really good. i also like to put the last nail in the coffin.

I have always, in the past gotten 3 variants and run them up to elite (I never sell mechs though). I have noticed lately, with a few, that since the skill tree nerf, the difference between basiced and elited mechs didn't seem that big. I guess I was just curious what people's opinion was about prioritizing skilling up mechs vs diversifying on an account with only a few mechs. It is a non-issue on my main account since I can grind cbills in my mastered mechs while I am saving for the extra variants to elite/master a new one.

#44 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:40 PM

View PostSandpit, on 07 March 2016 - 06:10 PM, said:

It still says it in game but they were reduced a couple of months ago

I don't remember any patch notes on that. I know they lowered the stats on the skills themselves, but I don't recall anything about the double bonus going away... Do you have anything where they said this is intended, or if it is just not working correctly?

However, like I said if that is the case screw most of whatever else they are working on because they need those trees to do something, and slightly better than basics is not a worthwhile reason to bother with 3 of each mech. This is something that needs to be made clear to all of the players so they can decide with all the information available if they are going to spend time/c-bills/MC on mechs to elite for something that isn't really worth it now.

#45 Xoco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 281 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:56 PM

As a Light main (to be more specific, Locust main), Accel, Braking, and Anchor turn is a matter of life or death. The extra mobility WILL save your hide, especially if you have the basic'd (2x proficiency).

#46 Fox With A Shotgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:58 PM

View Post3xnihilo, on 07 March 2016 - 09:20 AM, said:

So I know conventional wisdom says buy 3 variants of a chassis, get the one(s) you like to elite and move on to the next chassis. However, after the skill tree nerf, is this still the best strategy? Especially for a newer player or an alternate account where one is limited on options starting out. Case in point: on my clan account right now I own 1 hellbringer and that is it. There are many clan mechs I would like to try out, but my instinct is to buy 2 more hellbringers. Since this is not my main account I am looking at a significant amount of time to actually save the cbills and level those mechs. So the impatient side of me says: "Buy more, different mechs! The skill tree doesn't make much difference anymore!" So, back to my original question, is it still worth taking the time to elite a chassis before moving on to the next?

Some chassis types do not have a second mech module slot, and the only way you can unlock that second one is by getting the mech/weapon slot from mastering it...which requires eliting it...

#47 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:16 PM

Unfortunately, unlocking elite skills in the mech tree still makes a significant difference and you're still rather gimped without elites.

#48 Ryllen Kriel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 754 posts
  • LocationBetween the last bottle and the next.

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:14 PM

I just consider "Mastery" as a personal challenge. Sure, there are still some great statistical advantages from leveling up the skill trees, but taking the time to do it usually lets me try a lot of builds and decide whether or not I would enjoy keeping a mech. I typically level all three most attractive variants of a chassis to the highest level, and occaisionally I level up more. Some mechs I don't even end up enjoying till I figure out a weird/fun build for them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users