#1 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 March 2016 - 01:50 PM

Hello folks,

I am looking for feedback on the small team competitive maps that are currently available in Private Matches only. It is imperative to get community feedback, especially the competitive teams, as to what is working and what isn't in terms of these map layouts. I have received feedback from a few of the top competitive teams already and am looking forward to more from everyone who is looking forward to what might be termed as the S-word 7. Posted Image

Thanks in advance!

#2 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 March 2016 - 12:33 AM

Great map which needs very little work to be viable in all honesty. I only have 2 minor points which could be addressed;

1. Increase the height of the hills a bit more (either blue and green, or just one of the colours). This way there is a little more cover against snipers on the blocks or a spotter on the central block.

to lower JJ dependency, there should be ramps for each block (ideally one on each side towards the 2 spawn directions). It is easy for teams with Jumpjets to control the map if they have the high grounds uncontested.

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 08 March 2016 - 12:34 AM.

#3 Hadrogh

• PipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:09 AM

My Team trained a lot on this map and participated in the Dudes 4v4 Tournament.
During this process we felt that all setups (longrange, midrange and brawl) have their place. That's why the map felt great and we had a lot of fun.
While I understand, that Rushin feels like the hills could be higher, I like them the way they are. If you increase their height it would be impossible to fire with midrange weapons at closing brawlers which would turn this area in a brawling sight too. And their are already enough places to brawl in.

As minor criticism I would like to see more incentive to leave your drop area. Especially if your playing a long range setup.
Maybe move the blocks between the center block and smaller ones directly in front of the spawning area to provide more cover for the enemy team to close so you have at least to make a decision playing long range where you want to setup your and not just jump up and wait for the enemy. That could lead to a pretty stale gameplay.

But then again: great work!

#4 Rushin Roulette

• 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 March 2016 - 04:26 AM

View PostHadrogh, on 08 March 2016 - 03:09 AM, said:

While I understand, that Rushin feels like the hills could be higher, I like them the way they are. If you increase their height it would be impossible to fire with midrange weapons at closing brawlers which would turn this area in a brawling sight too. And their are already enough places to brawl in.

I was probably a little unclear on that point. By increasing the height a little, I meant only slightly, maybe 5-6 meters (half an Atlas) would be enough, keep the length of the ramp part of the hills the same length though (Meaning the sides get slightly steeper).

This is to make sniping over the entire map harder. Players could either snipe over one side or the other, but would be unable to setup a dominating crosfire from both sides if they stand on the spanwning blocks. By increasing the hill heights, they would either be forced to snipe from left to left (Right side can not be shot due to hills) or right to right (left side can not be shot due to the hills). Sniping is still easily possible, but needs a good scout and fast repositioning. Brawling is possible, as it is possible to cross at least the first half of the map without taking damage as long as the correct side is selected.

Alternatively, a widening of the central block would have the same effect (ie making it a rectangle instead of a square).

#5 Hadrogh

• PipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 04:56 AM

I don't think that a slight height increase would solve the problem.
Here is a link to a game from the tournament:

Btw in Mangeras' Youtube Channel you'll find a lot of good footage for both maps.

As you see, they could hit us from this position even with a slighter higher hill (at about 1:05 min).
On the other hand the hills are already so high that's it's just barely possible to shoot with the high mounts of a timberwolf at a closing timberwolf, if you're standing on top of it at maxrange to the enemy coming from the center block. This should be the standard direction against a team which is at the hill.

But then again, that's really only a minor point and I can live with it either way.

Edited by Hadrogh, 08 March 2016 - 05:01 AM.

#6 Rushin Roulette

• 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 March 2016 - 06:08 AM

Actually, the first shot across the map was at 44 seconds, that means they could already see you 18 seconds after the mechs started moving. As the hills are the same size as the low boxes by the spawn it is possible to set up a crossfire sniping position with each sniper covering about 80% of the map within 5 seconds of action (only solid cover is the central box and if players are close to the opposing sides of the hills/boxes themselves).

Increasing only the blue hills (not green though) should probably fix that and lower the coverage to 50-60% of the map depending on what side the sniper is standing on as well as if the opponents stay off the top of the hills.

#7 Hadrogh

• PipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:08 AM

You're correct but I wouldn't mind them to much, because they're at such a great distance that they barely matter. And you would need a great raise on the hills to block the angle from the top of the enemy's block.

#8 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 24 March 2016 - 11:06 AM

Thanks for the feedback so far folks. Notes taken and you'll see adjustments made to these maps soon.

#9 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 12 May 2016 - 10:52 AM

Just to square up development on these maps, I'm going to draw a line in the sand and ask for further feedback from this point on. Our new Level Designer Liz will be tracking your feedback and will check in with you as updates are released in the patches.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users