Texturing/rendering/shading Differences Per Map?

3 replies to this topic

#1 ReemusX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 299 posts
  • LocationMidwest USA

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:00 PM

Have noticed for a while that some maps seem "complete" with all visual effects...and some seem very "dry".

I run at max everything.... In this vid you can see maps like V.Bog is very crisp and my mech has all the detail, shading, and that "glimmer" while in the map. This applies to all other mechs I see in game. Looks very nice...

But.... on most of the other maps, even with the sun out (light source), my mech seems very dry and bland. It looks like a completed paint job with clear coat in V.Bog.....and primered coat in most other maps..

Why is this? Is this something changing in the next big patch?

#2 mariomanz28

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 188 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationForest VA US

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:05 PM

It's because for the last 3-4 years they really haven't had much in the way of standardization in the way they do things. Case and point is the mech scale and the fact they are having to go back and redo a bunch of them. Same with the textures. Honestly I don't know how they work but it seems like they just play it by ear instead of having say a check list or a simple system to make sure everything is normalized across sounds, visuals, and UI.

#3 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:07 PM

Maybe it has something to do with the day/night cycle that some maps have and that other don't. On other maps it could be that global diffuse illumination is set higher whereas other maps rely more on directional lighting.

All in all though most maps and lighting modes look pretty average, and the sooner MWO switches to a different engine and lighting model the better

#4 DivineEvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 903 posts
  • LocationRussian Federation, Moscow

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:23 PM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 07 March 2016 - 10:07 PM, said:

Maybe it has something to do with the day/night cycle that some maps have and that other don't. On other maps it could be that global diffuse illumination is set higher whereas other maps rely more on directional lighting.

All in all though most maps and lighting modes look pretty average, and the sooner MWO switches to a different engine and lighting model the better

It's quite the opposite. Few maps like Viridian Bog has very strong direct light source, that creates powerful highlights and shadows. Most maps use ambient light level, that creates that #Average level of indirectional illumination. Newer maps with day/night cycle has directional lighting of much lower intensity, than on Bog, and some maps also has atmospheric filters, that dampens the color saturation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users