22 replies to this topic

#1 Jables McBarty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:40 PM

(see final paragraph for TL;DR)

I just bought my third DWF.

I’ve got enough playtime on the chassis to be able to immediately master my DWF-W and elite my DWF-S as soon as I get all the basics on my new DWF-B. To mix things up, I’ve been trying really hard to come up with builds that aren’t based around ballistics (my go-to are 3xUAC5+2xUAC10 or 2xUAC5+2xUAC20), but all of them fail miserably*. The most branching out I can do is to slap on a few cERSLs as a special surprise for any lights that get too close.

Unfortunately, I find the chassis to be too fragile to do anything but ballistics. Between (1) its protruding torso hitboxes, (2) its abysmal agility, (3) the inability to do any real torso-twisting or damage-distribution due to (1) and (2), and (4) its lack of any armor or structure quirks, I find that it melts as soon as anybody looks at it—and look at it they do, same as an Atlas, KGC, MAL, or any large assault deemed a major threat to the team.

Hence ballistics, which either scares people into hiding or screenshakes them such that their aim is usually off, all while pounding out incomprehensible amounts of damage for low heat.
It’s too immobile for me to be consistently successful as a dedicated Gauss/PPC sniper, and the agility issues make it an inferior laser boat—I just can’t get out of fire to cool down) for the next alpha (also I’m terrible with lasers). It (a) lacks sufficient hardpoints for a dedicated LRM boat and (b] shines so brightly in other roles that it would feel wasted in that role anyway, but even bringing LRMs as a backup feels like a waste of good AC tonnage. And SRMs are out for essentially the same reasons as lasers.

But then there are so many unused hardpoints! It feels like a chassis that has so much potential, but the factors mentioned above pigeonhole it into the role of mobile UAC50(+/-) platform**.

Which brings us to this thread. Has anybody been able to consistently bring their DWFs “beyond the dakka whale”? I’d like to hear not only about your viable builds, but the playstyles that you use to get consistent results out of those builds.

Thanks for sharing Posted Image

*Of course, many of these failures might be attributable to trying to branch out on a brand-new variant with at most three skills unlocked, but I’m guessing it is more generalizable—I’ve encountered many of these issues on my variants with all basic skills unlocked.

**No disparagement intended—I love the dakka, but I also like flexibility.

Edited by Jables McBarty, 08 March 2016 - 02:41 PM.

#2 Chuck Jager

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:04 PM

after skill tree nerf in solo pug - NO

Seems they also got rid of the slight quirks to turn rate/accel/torso twist that helped with certain pods (seems Dwolf had some at one time)

#3 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:07 PM

The GigeSpike build has been potent. Twin Gauss, 6 medium-class and 2 large-class lasers, can deal an Alpha between 90-100 damage

However, that will go away with the pending Power Draw system. It will limit alphas.

The future of the Whale might just be Dakka, since the Power Draw system is meant to increase facetime and that's where Daka Builds excel...

#4 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,769 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:07 PM

2 Gauss/2 ERPPC is still solid, same with the 2 Gauss 3 LPL build, they just aren't nearly as good as they once were.

#5 100 Tonne

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 172 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:10 PM

I Have rebuilt mine over and over again, and will continue too. :)
I have always had 2x lrm 15's until my recent built of 2x lrm 10's, 6x ersl's and 2x ultra 10's, 2x erll's and TC(that I wanted to try out)
But agree with what you say, ac's is the DW niche as well as keeping it at range because it cant poke or torso twist. But I have always looked to builds that have more than just AC's because I like building Battle Mechs to feel like battle mechs not just meta.

But try the lrm's I think they increase the DW's damage out-put while not exposing it as it moves into position.

#6 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:17 PM

When did they put weapons that weren't dakka into the game?

#7 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:19 PM

Again, dual Gauss and Dual ERPPC will likely not be an Alpha in the nearish future...

... So if you want to suggest that build, suggest it as a pair of shots and not as a 50Pt sniper Alpha...

#8 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,769 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:25 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 08 March 2016 - 03:19 PM, said:

Again, dual Gauss and Dual ERPPC will likely not be an Alpha in the nearish future...

... So if you want to suggest that build, suggest it as a pair of shots and not as a 50Pt sniper Alpha...

Considering that is at a minimum, 3 months away (I suspect it will be more), I don't think it is really wrong to suggest this, considering the way you should be using this anyway, you aren't ever firing at the exact same time otherwise your PPCs are probably missing at any decent range.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 08 March 2016 - 03:26 PM.

#9 Anakha

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 172 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:36 PM

Jables let give you a little advice regarding the Dire Wolf.

#1 Don't ever run one solo, they are very slow wpns platforms in a game dominated by movement and mobility with high alphas currently. If you don't have multiples and a team backing you up don't run one.

#2 IF you want to run Dires you should bring at least 2 or preferably 3 otherwise don't bring any. See#1 above.

#3 Builds should be build around lasers and Dakka. With the heat cap on the Clan side currently how it is you can't bring a lot of lasers but you can suppliment your Dakka with some. Alternatively Dual Gauss is excellent on the Dire follow up by lasers to finish. See Alpha King builds.

#4 If you bring them you need to have a team that will push with you and support you. 3 Dire's pushing the front dishing our Dakka suppression to anything that they see is fearsome and the way to go. That's why Dakka is king on them, the enemy can't shoot back cause they can't see and 3x Dires take **** down hella fast. However 1 Dire is just a Giant target. Dire's are build to push in multiples at the front of a wave of mech's and they are hella good at that.

#5 Don't mix UAC's that's a noob move. They use different ammo and travel at different speeds making hitting anything that isnt standing perfectly still very difficult to hit with anything. Ever run across the front of a Dire sporting 2 or 3 diff types of UAC's? Notice how little hits you? Because all his shots are traveling at different speeds.

Anyways that's my advice regarding Dire's.

#10 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:45 PM

IF they actually get rid of ghost heat - personally I doubt it - then this guy would probably work. 2x 47 shots, just shrink it down to whatever their new ghost limit will be and have some trigger control/only expose half your mech at a time.

Edited by sycocys, 08 March 2016 - 03:45 PM.

#11 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,769 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 04:24 PM

View PostAnakha, on 08 March 2016 - 03:36 PM, said:

#4 If you bring them you need to have a team that will push with you and support you. 3 Dire's pushing the front dishing our Dakka suppression to anything that they see is fearsome and the way to go. That's why Dakka is king on them, the enemy can't shoot back cause they can't see and 3x Dires take **** down hella fast. However 1 Dire is just a Giant target. Dire's are build to push in multiples at the front of a wave of mech's and they are hella good at that.

Dires much like any other assault (barring maybe the Atlas), should not actually lead a charge, they are squishier targets in the face of any semblance of a firing line, mediums and heavies are great screens for them if you have pilots willing enough.

#5 Don't mix UAC's that's a noob move. They use different ammo and travel at different speeds making hitting anything that isnt standing perfectly still very difficult to hit with anything. Ever run across the front of a Dire sporting 2 or 3 diff types of UAC's? Notice how little hits you? Because all his shots are traveling at different speeds.

You are spamming dakka at short enough ranges that it shouldn't matter. You shouldn't be targeting something moving fast anyway, your job is to melt any other big mech that over-extends itself. 2 UAC10 and 3 UAC5 is best dakka whale.

#12 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 08 March 2016 - 04:25 PM

Anyways that's my advice regarding Dire's.

This is bad advice. The UAC5 and UAC10 pair great together, it is considered a tier 1 build. They have similar enough range and velocity that they work very well together.

#13 Xmith

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:13 PM

Try 3CUAC5 + 2CPL or 2CUAC10 +2LPL. These builds require more fast time for me because I have all weapons linked together. There is a slight range advantage with the CUAC5, best use for me is 400m - 500m.

#14 Malachy Karrde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 473 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:33 PM

View PostJables McBarty, on 08 March 2016 - 02:40 PM, said:

(see final paragraph for TL;DR)

I just bought my third DWF.

I’ve got enough playtime on the chassis to be able to immediately master my DWF-W and elite my DWF-S as soon as I get all the basics on my new DWF-B. To mix things up, I’ve been trying really hard to come up with builds that aren’t based around ballistics (my go-to are 3xUAC5+2xUAC10 or 2xUAC5+2xUAC20), but all of them fail miserably*. The most branching out I can do is to slap on a few cERSLs as a special surprise for any lights that get too close.

Unfortunately, I find the chassis to be too fragile to do anything but ballistics. Between (1) its protruding torso hitboxes, (2) its abysmal agility, (3) the inability to do any real torso-twisting or damage-distribution due to (1) and (2), and (4) its lack of any armor or structure quirks, I find that it melts as soon as anybody looks at it—and look at it they do, same as an Atlas, KGC, MAL, or any large assault deemed a major threat to the team.

Hence ballistics, which either scares people into hiding or screenshakes them such that their aim is usually off, all while pounding out incomprehensible amounts of damage for low heat.
It’s too immobile for me to be consistently successful as a dedicated Gauss/PPC sniper, and the agility issues make it an inferior laser boat—I just can’t get out of fire to cool down) for the next alpha (also I’m terrible with lasers). It (a) lacks sufficient hardpoints for a dedicated LRM boat and (b] shines so brightly in other roles that it would feel wasted in that role anyway, but even bringing LRMs as a backup feels like a waste of good AC tonnage. And SRMs are out for essentially the same reasons as lasers.

But then there are so many unused hardpoints! It feels like a chassis that has so much potential, but the factors mentioned above pigeonhole it into the role of mobile UAC50(+/-) platform**.

Which brings us to this thread. Has anybody been able to consistently bring their DWFs “beyond the dakka whale”? I’d like to hear not only about your viable builds, but the playstyles that you use to get consistent results out of those builds.

Thanks for sharing Posted Image

*Of course, many of these failures might be attributable to trying to branch out on a brand-new variant with at most three skills unlocked, but I’m guessing it is more generalizable—I’ve encountered many of these issues on my variants with all basic skills unlocked.

**No disparagement intended—I love the dakka, but I also like flexibility.

The Dire Wolf, in my opinion is the best assault in game. That said, it's not for the faint hearted and takes a long time to master completely. Now, to the suggestion part. I pretty much only use dire wolves and warhawks. If I'm in something lighter I'm either mastering it or have lost my bigger mech in a cw match.

After trying pretty much every build out there, I've settled on this one;

4x CUAC 5
6x CER Sml Laser
2x CLRM 10
10 Tons of UAC Ammo
2 double heat sink
4 tons of LRM Ammo

I have all 4 UAC fire linked to group 1
I have all 6 Small Lasers fire linked to group 2
I have both LRM fire linked to group 4

I run hill climb, radar deprivation, small laser range 5, and small laser cool down 5 modules.

How I fight her:

I engage at about 750 meters with lrms if I have good Los or know I'm going to hit due to terrain. As I get closer, I go ton continuous fire (double tapping) my UAC. When the target enters 210 meters, I drop off LRM fire and open up with the lasers. Usually the lasers are used for snap shots when a light mech gets too close. I aim for the legs, 1 shot will either leg the light, but more usually is an instant kill especially if I fire the autocannons. I've only run out of LRM or autocannons ammo in one match, a match where I had 6 kills, 7 kmdd, and 1740 damage. Yes you read that right. The key to fighting a whale is to not allow the enemy to get face time with you. Your objective is to kill them when they can't hurt you. Played right, this configuration allows you to kill most other assaults before they can open up on you, as most either have limited or no long range weaponry. And anything lighter than an assault is a couple shots at most to put down.

I use the lrms like sandpaper. They hit everywhere and damage the armor, letting my guns poke through for crits. The lasers are for quick point defense and I use them sparingly due to heat. But they can quickly melt whatever they hit. Plus they can be fired quickly a second time. I can usually fire the lasers 3 or 4 times without getting into the red heat wiseb and my guns barely do anything to the heat guage.

Most of the time I have a minimum of 500 damage, and consistently do 800 to 1200 damage per match, with 2 to 5 kills every match, win or lose. Granted everyone has bad matches, but even if I lose, I rarely lose psr in this mech, and most of the time gain. (I lose psr mastering little mech lol). Oh and I don't worry if I get left alone with this mech... follow terrain and make sure you are near something you can put your back to to prevent the circle of doom. I killed a whole Lance of lights the other night who thought they caught an easy target alone lol.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Malachy Karrde, 08 March 2016 - 05:40 PM.

#15 GreyNovember

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:41 PM

If you're considering Gauss.

Please don't put it in your torsos.

People shoot you there already out of habit. They will start focusing a torso when they realize you have a fragile, exploding weapon in there. Someone getting your rear ST would potentially blow it off completely.

#16 Armored Yokai

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 08 March 2016 - 05:46 PM

use 6 uac2's
they're great for all ranges just as long as you have the enemy standing still

#17 Kuritaclan

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:40 AM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 08 March 2016 - 05:46 PM, said:

use 6 uac2's
they're great for all ranges just as long as you have the enemy standing still

Simply to hot.

View PostJables McBarty, on 08 March 2016 - 02:40 PM, said:

"Sneak Dire" are fun. 2 or 3 SRM6s better having 2 with SRM6A, LBX20 and a bit of pew pew. This allways surprise on enemys who come around corners getting 100+Alpha face palmed.

Edited by Kuritaclan, 09 March 2016 - 03:55 AM.

#18 Alva Thule

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 04:48 AM

It's not a Metabuild and I guess it won't work that well in Comp-play, but
i found my DWF-A kinda fun to play and it works really well while playing with friends:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e9aa7f34a8b098d

Edited by silija, 09 March 2016 - 04:50 AM.

#19 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 09 March 2016 - 04:56 AM

You are 100% correct. Dakka whale is best whale. Other playstyles require you not to be a turret (because heat = hide), and since the Skill tree nerfs the Dire Wolf IS a turret. It cannot leave any engagement once started without killing the enemy lol.

View PostXmith, on 08 March 2016 - 05:13 PM, said:

Try 3CUAC5 + 2CPL or 2CUAC10 +2LPL. These builds require more fast time for me because I have all weapons linked together. There is a slight range advantage with the CUAC5, best use for me is 400m - 500m.

Thats a HGN-IIC-C build, pretty sure the Dire can do 3xUAC10 + 2xLPL pretty comfortably

#20 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 March 2016 - 04:58 AM

How could you ever tire of the Dakka whale when there are so many varied versions of it?

4 UAC10
3 UAC10
2 UAC10 3 UAC5
5/6 UAC5

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users