Cheating In The Name Of Science

18 replies to this topic

#1 Heavy Petting Zoo

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:02 PM

I have been seeing a few threads lately regarding the subject of cheating. However, I myself have never seen it in the game or just don't know what to look for. I have a feeling that many of these accusations of cheating are done by players who are assuming that they were killed by a cheater. I have to say that my curiosity is starting to get the better of me.

How do I identify what is cheating in this game?
What do I look for when spectating a suspected cheater?
What do MWO cheats do for players in MWO?

I have a proposition for the community. Would the MWO community be interesed in seeing someone use a cheat program, document their experience via twitch or youtube video, and post it so you can see how these cheat programs work? I would be willing to sacrifice this account in order to provide an educational video for the community so that we may have a reference to base these accusations of cheating on.

What I am proposing is that I purchase a one month membership to this cheat program, play for 3 or 4 hours using this account and record my actions. There are several features that this program offers and I would test each one individually so that you can see how they work. You would get a first hand view of what to look out for when a player is cheating.

Once I have completed the video, I will delete the program from my PC. I have a main account with a few grand invested in this game that I have no intention of losing to cheating.

I'm sure I will get flamed for even suggesting this. However, I feel that there needs to be some kind of reference for players to go to before they start reporting people for cheating when it may just be anything but. So feel free to tll me what you think.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:09 PM

I don't see how this could possibly backfire...

#3 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:12 PM

While science is great and while personally I like to expand my knowledge even into such "dark arts", I wouldn't recommend you do it. Your main account could be put in danger, and PGI doesn't like knowledge spreading on cheats. In fact they usually lock and delete threads mentioning them. I even think they went and tried to take down youtube videos related to cheats and do some other stuff.

So, my advice, save your money, save your account, save your time.

#4 slide

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:17 PM

There was a video floating around by someone who did just as you suggest. Maybe try searching you tube.

There are 2 main areas of cheating,
-auto aim
-wall hacks

-auto aim does as it's name suggests and lets you make shots that would otherwise be impossible/very lucky to make (ie never miss). Things to look for would be strings of impossible head shots from extreme range. Very difficult to tell the difference between actual skill/luck and an aimbot.

-wall hack let you see where all the opposing team are all the time, sort of like a permanent map wide UAV. This would be even harder to tell it is in use but it would only take one person feeding that info to a whole team to completely tip the balance of a match.

I doubt if PGI would like you doing this anyway as advertising the cheat program will only help the cheat program developers.

Edited by slide, 08 March 2016 - 08:24 PM.

#5 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:23 PM

i found a video of cheating in progress on youtube. im not going to link it, pgi hates that, but it only took me 30 seconds of google fu to find it.

#6 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:24 PM

It´s your account and your money, so it´s ultimately your decision what to do with them.

Just be warned that the last time they banned a group of cheaters, they also banned their IP addresses... today they would likely also extend that to steam accounts if that´s possible.

The fact that, as others have stated, such videos already exist on youtube and are quite easy to find is another good reason not to go down this road. Why make the mistake yourself whn others already have so we can learn from it?

I personally wouldn´t even consider it, simply because I would like to be able to play the game again tomorrow.

And since this is technically discussing cheating, which in and of itself is already grounds for a ban if the Mods feel it appropriate, that´s all I´ll say. I´ll just hope that I didn´t play with fire too much by posting in the thread at all and will make myself scarce now. Posted Image

Edited by Zerberus, 08 March 2016 - 08:30 PM.

#7 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:09 PM

I've witnessed what I believe to be auto-aim on a handful occasions when spec-ing other teammates. the cross hair drifts in a sporadic and yet automatic way from target to target, strongly on the horizontal axis. It's even more obvious when the arms are unlocked.

#8 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:12 PM

Try proposing meth experiments to the DEA.
Tell them you live in the burbs and have never seen a tweeker.

#9 Mcgral18

• CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:36 PM

They ban Alts and Mains, so you'd best not even try.

PM me if you want video of pretty convincing aimbot use (Oct 2015), but pretty sure it's against the CoC to post them.
There's also Soy's (youtube adizmal) "realtalk.exe" which demonstrates the wallhack in action (with the above showing off the aimbot via spectator).

#10 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:39 PM

I don't think this would have very many positive effects, to be honest. More likely negative as you're just spreading information about the exact hack itself and how to use it, which might just end up driving a few people towards it.

There is currently a video on youtube showing the exact hack in action. If people really are that curious I'd advise checking that out.

#11 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 08 March 2016 - 09:52 PM

How to get your account perma banned in 3 easy steps.
1. Download hacks
2. Use hacks
3. Post on the forums about using hacks

#12 Luminis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:05 PM

Are we going to get another QQ thread about this one getting locked down for discussing cheating, too? :D

#13 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:16 PM

im quite supprised it hasnt been locked yet. i dont expect to see it here tomorrow.

#14 Tier 1 Smurf

• PipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:24 PM

Your main will get banned along with cheating alts unless you make sure to use different hardware and install and different IP.

#15 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:33 PM

Like others have said you dont need to to do this there are videos around. Dont give these cheater companies more money.

#16 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:50 PM

There's only one percent cheaters, according to russ. Don't do it. Don't make it two percent. Also any talk about cheating is not allowed, don't be so cruel to force a moderator to lock this thread. It might cause heavy emotional stress on him/her.

Edited by kesmai, 08 March 2016 - 10:51 PM.

#17 Kinski Orlawisch

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationHH

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:56 PM

You are not PGI. They check cheats.

Do not support cheat tool by buying them!!!

For every Cent they get...they will develop new stuff.

By the way.

Reported.

#18 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 08 March 2016 - 11:07 PM

Sounds like a great way to advertise and promote the cheat website/programs. Do you work for them?

#19 Coryphee

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 857 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:40 AM

Thread closed.

Like other threads related to cheaters and cheating programs, the CoC doesn't allow any player to use or encourage the usage of these programs, even if it is for "science".

If you think that someone is using a hack/cheating program, use the report tool in-game and/or send a mail to the support with screenshots/video if you can.

Be sure that PGI is using all Tools to identify all users that don't respect the game rules. All user identified as a cheater will be ban.

Edited by Coryphee, 10 March 2016 - 05:42 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users