20 replies to this topic

#1 FuzzyNova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 401 posts
  • LocationComStar Cafeteria

Posted 09 March 2016 - 04:45 AM

Well it's happening. It is time for me to find another mech to add to my hangar. I have about 6 mechs I pilot and like to pilot. Right now it is the Ebon Jaguar A variant. But I want to get comfortable with another mech. So I will go through the process. Price limit dealing in C bills is no matter. I'm looking for something not necessarily similar to the Ebon Jag but something a little more less fragile. Ehhh...I didn't mean fragile...I'm having trouble finding the word for it. I love Ebon Jags but right now I need something else. Any ideas? Right now I have.

Ebon Jag A and C
Mauler MX90
Catapracht 3d
Cicada 3f (L)
Grid Iron
HBK IIC ( regular variant)
Raven 2x

Oh so I guess I have 8 mechs total. Lol. Anyways....any suggestions on what to get next? On personal experience?

#2 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 March 2016 - 04:52 AM

My suggestions ...
TimberWolf - works well with many varied load outs.
Arctic Cheetah - possibly best light in the game
Dire Whale - best assault in game

#3 Yosharian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 04:57 AM

View PostNathaniel Johns, on 09 March 2016 - 04:45 AM, said:

Well it's happening. It is time for me to find another mech to add to my hangar. I have about 6 mechs I pilot and like to pilot. Right now it is the Ebon Jaguar A variant. But I want to get comfortable with another mech. So I will go through the process. Price limit dealing in C bills is no matter. I'm looking for something not necessarily similar to the Ebon Jag but something a little more less fragile. Ehhh...I didn't mean fragile...I'm having trouble finding the word for it. I love Ebon Jags but right now I need something else. Any ideas? Right now I have.

Ebon Jag A and C
Mauler MX90
Catapracht 3d
Cicada 3f (L)
Grid Iron
HBK IIC ( regular variant)
Raven 2x

Oh so I guess I have 8 mechs total. Lol. Anyways....any suggestions on what to get next? On personal experience?

You could try for a scrappy light like the Arctic Cheetah or Firestarter.

Another option is a laser assault such as the Stalker, since the Mauler is ballistic-focused.

You didn't tell us anything about your playstyle so it's kind of hard to suggest something.

#4 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 09 March 2016 - 04:59 AM

Yea, I'm going to second the Timby or the Hellbringer, both are great Clan heavies. You could also look at the Storm Crow, I hate them as I cannot pilot one to save my skin. I would also look at Centurions, the A or D/AH/AL are all good choices, very tanky medium with standard engines, a little less tanky but still very respectable with a big XL engine.

#5 Arctourus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 482 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:02 AM

If you're looking for something on the tough side, the crabs are all pretty defensively tough, especially with a standard engine. I was amazed at how much damage they could take when I started grinding mine. Their biggest drawback is you are limited to energy only.

Jagers or Blackjacks may make an interesting addition, as they have the high mounts for sniping.

#6 Beaching Betty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 710 posts
  • Location-

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:26 AM

View PostAce Selin, on 09 March 2016 - 04:52 AM, said:

My suggestions ...
TimberWolf - works well with many varied load outs.
Arctic Cheetah - possibly best light in the game
Dire Whale - best assault in game

HAA!

#7 Doman Hugin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 197 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:35 AM

You could get more varients of the mech's you already own, so you can skill them up to master level.

#8 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,976 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 March 2016 - 06:47 AM

Try out the Enforcers, I think any medium pilot can appreciate the mech for being outstanding.

Jagmechs, still pretty good after all the quirk madness.

Timberwolf.. jack of all trades, well rounded, good hitboxes, probably the best heavy in the game still.

Artic Cheeto if you need a crutch or revenge mech.

Edited by Mister D, 09 March 2016 - 06:48 AM.

#9 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 09 March 2016 - 06:52 AM

Hunchback IIC just came out for C-Bills. Try them out.

NM, you have them. Try out the Stormcrows then. They can do anything except ballistics.

I personally am trying to revisit the Shawks.

Edited by El Bandito, 09 March 2016 - 07:04 AM.

#10 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:07 AM

If you like the ebon jag...

IS side... crab is similarly styled but with a STD engine is way way more durable.

#11 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:44 AM

If you like the Ebon Jaguar, I'd recommend the Catapult (Specifically the K2 and if you feel inclined, the Jester).

Also, if the Cicada works for you, I think you would like the Crab too. The Crab 27B makes a nice MPLaser boat.

If you like some good dakka (I see some ballistic mechs in your list), you can never go wrong with the Jager.

#12 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:21 AM

Can't go wrong with a new case of fresh crabs.

I'll put my crab up against any other mdeium out there including stormcrows (and win just as often as I don't)

#13 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:29 AM

View PostSandpit, on 09 March 2016 - 09:21 AM, said:

Can't go wrong with a new case of fresh crabs.

I'll put my crab up against any other mdeium out there including stormcrows (and win just as often as I don't)

I love my MPLaser Crab 27B. I have the 27SL setup for sniping with ERLLasers. Oddly, this is reverse of the quirks, but I'd rather have 1 extra energy for my pulse laser mech and JJs for my ERLLsser setup.

#14 Tyler Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:43 AM

If you liked the EJ then I'll add my voice to the suggestion to try out the Timber Wolf or the Hellbringer. You'll find them to be very similar to EJs but with the ability to tank a little more damage.

Something similar but different? Stormcrow. You won't have the firepower of the EJ but you'll still pack a good punch and you'll be much more mobile. Plus, for a 55 tonner, that thing can take a hit like a champ.

Want something completely different? Awesome 8R with massed LRM 15s, Banshee 3E with 3 LL and 3 AC5s, or the Dragon 1C with a guass and 2 ERLL are some fun but good 'mechs I played last night...

Good luck!

#15 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:43 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 09 March 2016 - 09:29 AM, said:

I love my MPLaser Crab 27B. I have the 27SL setup for sniping with ERLLasers. Oddly, this is reverse of the quirks, but I'd rather have 1 extra energy for my pulse laser mech and JJs for my ERLLsser setup.

I run an XL and 5-6 MPLs on mine along with BAP

They are the best light hunter and harasser I've found in a long time. I can top out at 104 kph and all those pulse lasers just chew light mechs up. The BAP makes cheetahs no more intimidating than a locust :P (well with more firepower, and speed, and armor lol)

I used to run the 3 LL build but I've just found I have more success with the MPL build

#16 Chuck Jager

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:18 PM

From the try hard point of view get the EBJ elited. I twill be easier to get other heavies elited - need 3 of a weight class mastered. You can not get 3 mastered until you have 3 basic'ed.

You can do:
dual gauss build - get some practice asap
dual uac10 build - just fun, I have helped turn many games with fire suppression from EBJ or TBR with uac10s.
pure laser vomit (2lpl with mlas, all mplas, erllas with smattering of other lasers, many possibilities)
Srm or lrm builds (only run lrm with target decay)

Practice with front loaded armor and run seismic sensor. You can also try sword and board single sided builds to get your poking/twisting down. You have the basic types of builds available on one mech so you can get the other playstyles down. Yes other mechs may do it better, but the eliting does still help (not as much but it does). You will be ahead of the curve when you buy the other mechs. I run almost the same builds with small changes on both the Twolf and HBR (no dual uac10 on HBR and only single gauss on these variants).

If you still go with other clan heavies DO NOT LOAD THEM UP WITH LRMS. This is like having Michael Jordan on the payroll and asking him to draw diagrams for the team. He may be able to do it and even help the team, but that is a poor excuse for what you are giving up.

For CW you can take 4 65 tonners so this would get you ready unless you plan to keep the one EBJ and maybe master the HBRs or Twolves first. For newer players I find the HBR a bit more forgiving with the ecm.

#17 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:10 PM

Executioner isn't too bad. It has 95 tonner armor and structure and decent speed with the ability to make powerful laser loadouts, decent mixed loadouts with all three weapon types, and some good combo builds with SRMs and lasers or ballistics and lasers.

Once elited it goes 90 kph with MASC, so that's a plus. Also while its jet packs don't get it that high, they can come in handy every once in awhile.

I'd recommend it, its my favorite mech.

...least until the Kodiak comes out. Posted Image

#18 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:29 PM

I'd say get a third Ebon Jaguar. That way you can elite, then master them, makes a big difference.

#19 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:33 PM

View PostDirk Le Daring, on 09 March 2016 - 05:29 PM, said:

I'd say get a third Ebon Jaguar. That way you can elite, then master them, makes a big difference.

this.

Then keep the omni pods you and sell off the chasis you do not want (unless you plan on taking multiples into CW, no point to having multiple EBJs. )

#20 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:06 PM

Well your missing a 100 tonner and 20 tonner. King Crab is very fun using a short range load out and the Locust is really strong for 20 tons and easily the cutest mech in the game with the commando right after it. Sorry Urban mech.

For me its all about the Marauder and Sting and Wasp at the moment. The Phoenix Hawk didn't wow me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users