12 replies to this topic

#1 Gentleman Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 733 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, the land of slurpees and potholes

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:39 PM

So this is my impressions on the current balance of equipment in the game. I'd like to thank Scout Derek and Sandpit for the suggestion of splitting up my original post into segments as well as how to make everything here easier to read, as I have little experience making posts on these forums. Please keep it civil in here and bring your own ideas on how else certain things can be balanced.

Ferro-Fibrous Armor:
Spoiler

Clan XL Engine:
Spoiler

Anti-Missile System:
Spoiler

Beagle Active Probe:
Spoiler

C.A.S.E.:
Spoiler

Command Console:
Spoiler

ECM:
Spoiler

Jump-Jets:
Spoiler

MASC:
Spoiler

Narc Beacon:
Spoiler

Targeting Computer:
Spoiler

Edited by Elit3 Nick, 09 March 2016 - 01:48 PM.

#2 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:00 PM

FF with bonus damage resist could be a positive change, attach a quirk to it...but that buffs the God Tier Clams as much as any other.
You could reduce FF size on the IS side, 10 or fewer slots, and buff it to the same 20% of the Clam FF.

Cannot support reducing cXL side torso structure, or even increasing their penalties (maybe another 5% at worst).
I'd rather buff the isXL and STD. Would you ever choose an STD over a cXL

The Jesus Box never had its most powerful attribute touched: the Magic Jesus Field. The thing which quarters your sensor range and makes LRMs worthless and require 2.5 tons of tax to use mediocrely.

Adjust the 'targetingfactor' from 0.25 to something closer to 0.5 IMO, and it can keep the 180M bubble.

For CASE, I would do exactly what you want to avoid: turn isCASE into CASEII with normal CASE weight, but the CASEII performance.
Leave weightless Clam case as it stands.

#3 XtremWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 551 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:06 PM

I like your ideas for the most part, especially the Command Console giving a boost to your team sensor's in a radius. Team effects are quite rare in MWO.
I also think ECM should have their radius increased a bit or something to give them a less selfish role on the battlefield (team effects again).

And Jump Jets, well... it's a lost cause i guess.
(Though, since i started to level up mys ShadowCats, i realised that with MASC, JJ become incredibly fun again!)

EDIT: I also think that clan XLs are in a rather good spot and that IS STD and XL should have a boost somewhere to give players a reason to use them.

Edited by XtremWarrior, 09 March 2016 - 01:09 PM.

#4 Gentleman Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 733 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:18 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 09 March 2016 - 01:00 PM, said:

FF with bonus damage resist could be a positive change, attach a quirk to it...but that buffs the God Tier Clams as much as any other.
You could reduce FF size on the IS side, 10 or fewer slots, and buff it to the same 20% of the Clam FF.

Yes, I was thinking about how an FF buff would affect Clan mechs, although I didn't know how to suggest it without making Clan FF some kind of light FF with damage reduction vs IS FF being more powerful. Also reducing FF slots is a very good idea, although increasing the weight savings wouldn't work with the mechlab being copied from TT, you would have many stock builds with FF suddenly have unallocated tonnage.

Cannot support reducing cXL side torso structure, or even increasing their penalties (maybe another 5% at worst).

That's also a good suggestion, I know many people would be opposed to making Clan mechs squishier, so maybe buffing the structure on STDs and IS XLs would be a much better idea.

For CASE, I would do exactly what you want to avoid: turn isCASE into CASEII with normal CASE weight, but the CASEII performance.
Leave weightless Clam case as it stands.

That is what I alluded to, with CASE preventing explosion damage (like CASE II does in TT) and CASE II preventing ammo from being destroyed in the first place, so it acts as a sort of armor for ammo.

Edited by Elit3 Nick, 09 March 2016 - 01:19 PM.

#5 Gentleman Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 733 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:22 PM

View PostXtremWarrior, on 09 March 2016 - 01:06 PM, said:

I like your ideas for the most part, especially the Command Console giving a boost to your team sensor's in a radius. Team effects are quite rare in MWO.
I also think ECM should have their radius increased a bit or something to give them a less selfish role on the battlefield (team effects again).

And Jump Jets, well... it's a lost cause i guess.
(Though, since i started to level up mys ShadowCats, i realised that with MASC, JJ become incredibly fun again!)

EDIT: I also think that clan XLs are in a rather good spot and that IS STD and XL should have a boost somewhere to give players a reason to use them.

I'm having so much fun in my Shadow Cat with the MASC buffs. With two LPLs, ECM and a MkII TG, it's a sneaky sniper that can come out of unexpected nooks and crannies.

#6 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:34 PM

Err, duplicates of the thread?

#7 thehiddenedge

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 326 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:37 PM

The answer to that question is of course no. There is really nothing to make a Std engine even remotely appealing compared to cXL. Even on the IS side, the trade off for weight savings and speed makes isXL much better than Std's in most mechs. Std engines need something to make them more attractive besides side torso loss. Perhaps a boost to twist speed?

View PostScout Derek, on 09 March 2016 - 01:34 PM, said:

No, this one is about mech equipment. The other one is about Weapon Balance.

Edited by thehiddenedge, 09 March 2016 - 01:38 PM.

#8 Gentleman Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 733 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:41 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 09 March 2016 - 01:34 PM, said:

Nope, although it might be easy to read the topic as the same.

#9 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 09 March 2016 - 01:42 PM

View PostElit3 Nick, on 09 March 2016 - 01:41 PM, said:

Nope, although it might be easy to read the topic as the same.

Okay, just a jumble to read today.

#10 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:08 PM

Reserved for questions and proposal of alternates. Also a demand for a title change as there was no statistical analysis.

#11 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:03 PM

For an in depth analysis, not much data is given.

#12 Anyone00

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 329 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 04:56 PM

Anti-Missile System: I agree with OP.

C.A.S.E.: Give it additional 'everybody gets one' effect negating one ammo explosion for each section equipped (for that section).

Command Console: In addition to what the OP suggested maybe also modules that allow the CC to set 'saturation points' that can be targeted by allies with LRMs (with a much greater spread) and by air/artillery strikes; or a 'Satellite Uplink' that basically that gives the mech a camera floating a few dozen meters above the mech that can be switched to (but takes a second or so for the image to come up and the image is really grainy and full or artifacts).

ECM: on the mech it's equipped it reduces detection range by 30%. In a 180m or even 200m bubble it increases lock-on time and lose lock time by 20%, no mech info, and hard counters NARC beacons even on the equipped mech. The up close disruption effect is the same.

Jump-Jets:
Yeah I'm going to advocate re-invention the wheel here.
For starters the reticle shake applies to every mech not just going up but also in free fall. The amount of reticle shake is according to a 'jump/fall stability rating' that goes to 0 to 100. At 0 the reticle never stabilize beyond what you would see running with MASC even at the jump's apogee. At 50 it is about what it is now. At 100 there is no reticle shake at all. The rule of thumb is the 'jump/fall stability rating' is 100 minus the mech's tonnage; the adjusted on a per model basis.
And on top of that change jump jets to burst based where a 100 ton mech with 4 JJs will jump about as high and as fast as a 20 ton mech with 4 JJs; it just takes longer for the 100 mech to build up the burst (plus the stability thing). Also when something like a Highlander is building up a jump everybody in the general vicinity knows it.
Also turning in air takes a bit of the JJ bar.
And here's the part people will be complaining 'too much like animu': on mechs with the base model that has JJs in addition to releasing the space bar for a largely vertical burst a direction can be quickly double tapped that splits the burst between the vertical and the direction tapped.

Edited by Anyone00, 09 March 2016 - 04:59 PM.

#13 SplashDown

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 399 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:02 PM

clan has been nerfed enuff and doesnt need anymore nerf tyvm

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users