Badges And Titles: Am I The Only One Who Really Could Not Care Less About Them?

73 replies to this topic

#41 Roadkill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:31 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 09 March 2016 - 01:01 PM, said:

Seriously?

Asks the guy displaying both a badge and a title. Posted Image

#42 Tyler Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:32 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 09 March 2016 - 02:10 PM, said:

Sigh* I feel the same way. I got my Ace of Spades legitimately long before the server fiasco, and now it all feels tainted.

Are you guys talking about Death Star? Ace of Spades is pretty easy to get.

#43 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:37 PM

View PostTyler Valentine, on 09 March 2016 - 02:32 PM, said:

I disagree and I just pretend Death Star doesn't actually exist since I have no hope of ever achieving it.

#44 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:38 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 09 March 2016 - 02:10 PM, said:

Sigh* I feel the same way. I got my Ace of Spades legitimately long before the server fiasco, and now it all feels tainted.

I still don't have Ace of Spades. I've hit 7 and 6 a couple of times and get 5 fairly regularly, but that 8th kill just keeps avoiding me.

I got 7 kills in 8vs8 once... wish I could get retroactive credit for Ace of Spades for that! (7/8 > 8/12) Only Mech I didn't kill in that game was a Jenner that never got within 1000 meters before the Lights on my side killed it.

#45 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:38 PM

Ace of Spades, and yes I am aware it isn't terribly hard to get, but there are a lot more people that haven't gotten it than have it. Add in the fact that a lot of Ace of Spades and Death Star achievements were acquired illegitimately and you have something that at one point in time was at least a little unique compared to some of the more mundane participation achievements.

#46 Tyler Valentine

• Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:40 PM

View PostBilbo, on 09 March 2016 - 02:37 PM, said:

I disagree and I just pretend Death Star doesn't actually exist since I have no hope of ever achieving it.

Sorry, not "easy" just thought most people had it and you guys might be talking about the other one. 12 kills in a match without friends and without DQs sounds damn near impossible.

#47 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:41 PM

View PostRoadkill, on 09 March 2016 - 02:38 PM, said:

I still don't have Ace of Spades. I've hit 7 and 6 a couple of times and get 5 fairly regularly, but that 8th kill just keeps avoiding me.

I got 7 kills in 8vs8 once... wish I could get retroactive credit for Ace of Spades for that! (7/8 > 8/12) Only Mech I didn't kill in that game was a Jenner that never got within 1000 meters before the Lights on my side killed it.

I got 8 in 8v8 once. not that it does me any good now.

#48 Tyler Valentine

• Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:42 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 09 March 2016 - 02:38 PM, said:

...the fact that a lot of Ace of Spades and Death Star achievements were acquired illegitimately...

People dropping against a group of friends or what?

#49 Grimlox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 511 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:46 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 09 March 2016 - 02:11 PM, said:

Not asking for more work from them, actually, in my OP, I'm asking for LESS.

Though I would love it, if when the quirks are released, they released the basic build info to Smurfy, as noted (which would be more work) because I think anyone who bought it would love a couple days to theorycraft.

Ditto.

Done it twice, legit, once in my ON1-VA "Suckerpunch" and the other time, finally, in my beloved CanOpener HBK-4G(F).

But since I don't record videos, it does feel empty and tainted.

I did this once "legit" in a Raven 3L back in the 8v8 days no less (mind you Ravens were a lot more amazing back when hit reg was bad back then as you know so... "legit").

Haven't done it since then. Just had a friend in tier 4 do it with a Cicada in a 800ish dmg solo queue tier 4 game. Meanwhile I don't have it and probably never will considering I do 90% of my playing in group queue and I'm tier 2. My last 867 dmg game ended with only 2 kills and I've had plenty of 1K+ games with 0-5 kills. RNG is RNG.. or maybe my aim sucks haha.

Also I don't care at all or even notice badges in the game. Titles I rarely notice but like you said they are so meaningless so how do I know that Ace of Spades means a darn thing.

I'd rather know the tier of my teammates in the game so I know what to expect, but I could see that leading to more toxicity than anything else. Not to mention tiers in their current implementation aren't the best judge of skill so perhaps best to be stuck in the land of meaningless titles.

Edited by Grimlox, 09 March 2016 - 02:54 PM.

#50 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:47 PM

View PostTyler Valentine, on 09 March 2016 - 02:42 PM, said:

Awhile back the servers were having some strange issues and people were dropping against entire teams of disconnected players essentially allowing them to go kill 8-12 afk players and get their achievements. To this day PGI has not rolled back those unearned achievements.

#51 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:48 PM

I'm quite happy with my "big daddy"... I'm aiming for the "people's hero" though

For some reason I'm still struggling to get my ace of spades. I've lost the count to my 7 kill matches... (more than 20-30 games on top of my mind)
There is always one mofo who steals your 8th kill at the same moment you shoot for the final kill. Or greed kills me when i just go yolo for the final kill.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 09 March 2016 - 01:01 PM, said:

Yes, I know some think a White Knight is never allowed to criticize, or grumble. Well, you'd be wrong.

Yes... but only a white knight can complain about something like this. I mean, does it matter?. you get the same stuff on the same announced date either way. Are you complaining about your hype rate? what difference does it make? 3 days, 7 days, 1 day, 100 days... it does not matter, Archer will be available on 15th and i'm looking forward to it.
heh... white knights and their problems Posted Image

#52 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts

That and there was server disconnect problem a while back if I recall correctly.

#53 Tyler Valentine

• Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts

View PostWarHippy, on 09 March 2016 - 02:47 PM, said:

Awhile back the servers were having some strange issues and people were dropping against entire teams of disconnected players essentially allowing them to go kill 8-12 afk players and get their achievements. To this day PGI has not rolled back those unearned achievements.

ahhhh. lame.

#54 Aetes Nakatomi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 571 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, England

I don't care about titles, never gonna change from my Ace of Spades unless I get a legitimate Deathstar. That was the toughest fight I have had and I felt like a hero.

As for the rest, I find myself desperate to see the updates only to be disappointed. I like the faction camo screenies and the cockpit showcase. The rest is meh.

#55 Tyler Valentine

• Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:54 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 09 March 2016 - 02:48 PM, said:

For some reason I'm still struggling to get my ace of spades. I've lost the count to my 7 kill matches... (more than 20-30 games on top of my mind)
There is always one mofo who steals your 8th kill at the same moment you shoot for the final kill. Or greed kills me when i just go yolo for the final kill.

I sounded more callous than I intended, I just meant it was easy compared to Death Star. Got mine the first night I ever brought out the Wubshee but, to be fair, I played like 14 hours that day and I'm not sure I've ever done it again.

#56 Xmith

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:14 PM

Anyone with multiple Ace of Spades?

I use to display my Shredder badge when badges and titles were first introduced. Later I switched to the 1 Percent badge. Then realized that there may be a whole lot of 1 Percent and Shredders running around by this time and decided to display The Ironclad badge for the moment.

Edited by Xmith, 09 March 2016 - 03:16 PM.

#57 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:24 PM

View PostSandpit, on 09 March 2016 - 02:27 PM, said:

pssst
different people have different things they enjoy. I like having titles and badges to set for my personal goals sometimes. I personally really want my deathstar and Big Daddy achievements. I imagine a player who never or rarely pilots assaults could care less about the Big Daddy achievement.

Pssst!

You do realize I'm not talking about those badges and titles, right?

But the pointless silly and stupid ones that come with buying mech packs? Kinda thought I said as much in the OP.

View PostTyler Valentine, on 09 March 2016 - 02:40 PM, said:

Sorry, not "easy" just thought most people had it and you guys might be talking about the other one. 12 kills in a match without friends and without DQs sounds damn near impossible.

8 kills ain't exactly a weekly experience for most folk. Just saying.

Had a server crash that left a lot of people with full enemy teams disco'd months and months ago. Some luminary even posted about it on the forums, so people kept dropping thil the got in and a fair number of folk got ace of spades and death star that morning.

I even ended up with it (never displayed it) because when the crash hit, ended up in a 4v3 match and just shot the rest in it without thinking about it, assuming that at some point folks might reconnect, etc.

View PostXmith, on 09 March 2016 - 03:14 PM, said:

Anyone with multiple Ace of Spades?

I use to display my Shredder badge when badges and titles were first introduced. Later I switched to the 1 Percent badge. Then realized that there may be a whole lot of 1 Percent and Shredders running around by this time and decided to display The Ironclad badge for the moment.

I've got it twice, so I'm going to assume there are probably several of the actual good players who have done so multiple times.

#58 jaxjace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 987 posts
  • LocationIn orbit around your world

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:24 PM

Merciless fits.

#59 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:26 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 09 March 2016 - 02:48 PM, said:

I'm quite happy with my "big daddy"... I'm aiming for the "people's hero" though

Yes... but only a white knight can complain about something like this. I mean, does it matter?. you get the same stuff on the same announced date either way. Are you complaining about your hype rate? what difference does it make? 3 days, 7 days, 1 day, 100 days... it does not matter, Archer will be available on 15th and i'm looking forward to it.
heh... white knights and their problems Posted Image

Or maybe because AS a white knight I'd rather see PGI actually employ effective marketing, instead of this waste of time?

View PostGrimlox, on 09 March 2016 - 02:46 PM, said:

I did this once "legit" in a Raven 3L back in the 8v8 days no less (mind you Ravens were a lot more amazing back when hit reg was bad back then as you know so... "legit").

Haven't done it since then. Just had a friend in tier 4 do it with a Cicada in a 800ish dmg solo queue tier 4 game. Meanwhile I don't have it and probably never will considering I do 90% of my playing in group queue and I'm tier 2. My last 867 dmg game ended with only 2 kills and I've had plenty of 1K+ games with 0-5 kills. RNG is RNG.. or maybe my aim sucks haha.

Also I don't care at all or even notice badges in the game. Titles I rarely notice but like you said they are so meaningless so how do I know that Ace of Spades means a darn thing.

I'd rather know the tier of my teammates in the game so I know what to expect, but I could see that leading to more toxicity than anything else. Not to mention tiers in their current implementation aren't the best judge of skill so perhaps best to be stuck in the land of meaningless titles.

Yeah I pulled it in a 3L back then too, but not gonna lie, that was more to do with how broken the mech and ECM was than skill, on my part, lol.

#60 Malleus011

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 03:30 PM

If I got to make content to hype up the Reseen, I'd make:

The original, somewhat worn-looking, commercial produced by the manufacturer when they pitched the 'mech to the Star League. (footage of 'mech, footage of 'mech in bay, 'mech walking, firing, in 'combat') complete with serious Announcer pitching why Earthwerks Industries new Archer Battlemech would be the answer to every problem the SLDF might face in 2475!

Then a second video for the Hero, newsreel style, talking about how Morgan Kell had returned to the Kell Hounds (with shaky actual combat footage) or grainy archive Solaris VII footage of Legend Killer.

Then a third video, best quality of the lot, would be a modern recruiting video from one of the Great Houses, detailing why the RFL-5D Warhammer, produced right here in the Federated Suns, would be the key machine for stopping the advance of House Kurita *and* the Clans.

C'mon guys. Surely you can do better than some guy on the forums.

Edited by Malleus011, 09 March 2016 - 03:30 PM.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users