• 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:43 AM

View PostSandpit, on 10 March 2016 - 10:01 AM, said:

I just can't get that dam SRM loadout to work for me lol

That limited range just kills me, or gets me killed I should say lol

I go 6x SRM4, Xl 280 I think(?), and around 6 tons of ammo with 2-4 jump jets, max armor.

It works like this:

1v1s are your best bet with a majority of mechs. don't stray too far away from your group, but enough so you can fall back within 10 seconds or so. And go for Rear Cts, and legs, stealth is your best friend. Be a ninja jenner!

#22 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:48 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 10 March 2016 - 11:43 AM, said:

I go 6x SRM4, Xl 280 I think(?), and around 6 tons of ammo with 2-4 jump jets, max armor.

It works like this:

1v1s are your best bet with a majority of mechs. don't stray too far away from your group, but enough so you can fall back within 10 seconds or so. And go for Rear Cts, and legs, stealth is your best friend. Be a ninja jenner!

Trust me, I've tried, it's just one of those mechs and styles I'm not very good at lol

I can squirrel in my Spider for days and my other Jenners I always did fine in, but that dam srm build gives me headaches all the way around lol

#23 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 01:03 PM

So I spent an afternoon playing with missiles based on something I saw on Saders twitch and some things he'd said.

LRM5As are a 100% success rate with 4 of 5 missiles per launcher hitting CT when chain fired. When group-fired it's only 2 out of 5 and 1 in 5 MISSES COMPLETELY.

Chainfired however.... it's a drill. Each LRM5A, with line of sight, like a CT-seeking CUAC5. It's a dirty, terrible truth. I hate it and it irks me because as a given rule LRMs are terrible, they lack synergy and they promote bad habits (like playing from the rear).

That TBR build is functionally an LRM brawler. The LRMs are a secondary weapon that's pooping 15 pts, 12 of which always to the CT every 3 seconds. Three of them is 6 tons, an CUAC5 is 7. However they are more ammo-hungry however the ammo is more reliable - LRM ammo is 180pts of damage/ton, UAC5 is 150 and the LRM5As are putting 100% of damage on target and 80% to the CT without AMS in the picture. The LRM build is 2x as hot as a single UAC5 but does 50% more DPS and, again, it's CT-seeking and barring AMS has a 100% hit rate with LoS. Unless the other team has AMS in bulk it's actually an excellent setup. In pug queue the 3xLRM5A+UAC10+CERMLs build is a frankenbuild I would mock if I saw it but for actual killing power and efficiency I'd say it's one of the best pugging TBR builds.

You've all heard me rail against LRMs and I still stand by LRMs being an inferior weapon to direct fire AS A GIVEN RULE. ECM and AMS being hard counters even with LoS makes them unreliable.

However, 3 (not more than or you lose efficiency in weight and they need chain-fired to work this way so more than 3 and you're unlikely to get all the missiles on target) CLRM5As on a Clan mech in addition to a healthy direct fire loadout is actually an excellent setup. On a TBR or EBJ. Unsure of its efficiency on other mechs, I think you give up too much in pods trying it with say a Warhawk.

Not LRM15s or 10s or 20s. 5s, with Artemis and Line of Sight. Sader is correct, that specific setup is excellent both on paper and in practice. Dubious against AMS but in pug/group queue and even CW most the time? Yeah. It's an excellent build.

Edited by MischiefSC, 10 March 2016 - 01:03 PM.

#24 Sader325

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 01:15 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 10 March 2016 - 01:03 PM, said:

So I spent an afternoon playing with missiles based on something I saw on Saders twitch and some things he'd said.

LRM5As are a 100% success rate with 4 of 5 missiles per launcher hitting CT when chain fired. When group-fired it's only 2 out of 5 and 1 in 5 MISSES COMPLETELY.

Chainfired however.... it's a drill. Each LRM5A, with line of sight, like a CT-seeking CUAC5. It's a dirty, terrible truth. I hate it and it irks me because as a given rule LRMs are terrible, they lack synergy and they promote bad habits (like playing from the rear).

That TBR build is functionally an LRM brawler. The LRMs are a secondary weapon that's pooping 15 pts, 12 of which always to the CT every 3 seconds. Three of them is 6 tons, an CUAC5 is 7. However they are more ammo-hungry however the ammo is more reliable - LRM ammo is 180pts of damage/ton, UAC5 is 150 and the LRM5As are putting 100% of damage on target and 80% to the CT without AMS in the picture. The LRM build is 2x as hot as a single UAC5 but does 50% more DPS and, again, it's CT-seeking and barring AMS has a 100% hit rate with LoS. Unless the other team has AMS in bulk it's actually an excellent setup. In pug queue the 3xLRM5A+UAC10+CERMLs build is a frankenbuild I would mock if I saw it but for actual killing power and efficiency I'd say it's one of the best pugging TBR builds.

You've all heard me rail against LRMs and I still stand by LRMs being an inferior weapon to direct fire AS A GIVEN RULE. ECM and AMS being hard counters even with LoS makes them unreliable.

However, 3 (not more than or you lose efficiency in weight and they need chain-fired to work this way so more than 3 and you're unlikely to get all the missiles on target) CLRM5As on a Clan mech in addition to a healthy direct fire loadout is actually an excellent setup. On a TBR or EBJ. Unsure of its efficiency on other mechs, I think you give up too much in pods trying it with say a Warhawk.

Not LRM15s or 10s or 20s. 5s, with Artemis and Line of Sight. Sader is correct, that specific setup is excellent both on paper and in practice. Dubious against AMS but in pug/group queue and even CW most the time? Yeah. It's an excellent build.

To add to this:

The build has the decided advantage of being Lightweight, Lowheat and ammo efficient. It's so low weight that even a Mad Dog can effectively field the build making it an extremely capable mid range boat for only 60 tons. Not to mention recent buffs to to the mad dog (free arm armor and structure, 10% rate of fire for LRM torsos, nerfs to ECM range so that BAP is now unecessary the build has become more effective not less.

The biggest weakness of this build is AMS. Boated AMS can destroy 3x LRM5 quite easily compared to a regular LRM15 launcher. I'm not sure why this is, I can only chalk it up to poor coding on PGI's part.

That being said, the LRM5's are only a third of your weapon systems, and you're effectivly carrying the firepower of most Medium Laser / guass builds before you even factor in 3 LRM5's anyway.

Oh and the most important factor:

Juggling all these weapons is both fun and challenging, you have to do a lot of work to make this build work. That may turn off some people, but its makes this build a lot of fun for me while still giving you near double the dps of most laservomit mechs.

Edited by Sader325, 10 March 2016 - 01:17 PM.

#25 Col Jaime Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 02:00 PM

View PostSader325, on 09 March 2016 - 06:38 PM, said:

https://www.twitch.t...r325/v/53472319

My stream donated me an oxide hoping to get some great SRM gameplay.

Jokes on them.

mediocre

real men use huggins!

Edited by Col Jaime Wolf, 10 March 2016 - 02:20 PM.

#26 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 02:09 PM

I can run it on my prime TBR with 30% cbill boost and consistently put up about 700 damage and steal, err, secure 3+ kills per match. It's not feast/famine like an LRM build.

It's a dakka/laservomit TBR with a CT drill LRM setup. You're also right on 3 launchers. 4 is too many, it takes too long to get the stream on target and it loses weight /heat efficiency vs another AC. 2 isn't worth the tonnage and there's a 3 second gap between missile waves which lets them focus on who's shooting them.

Takes a little work to coordinate all 3 on a target but it's my new favorite farming mech. Managed to push my earnings/hour pugging in QP over pugging in CW.

#27 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 02:56 PM

View PostCol Jaime Wolf, on 10 March 2016 - 02:00 PM, said:

mediocre

real men use huggins!

You misspelled Locust right there.

#28 Trauglodyte

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:39 PM

You misspelled Locust right there

You misspelled LRMando!!! My first mech ever at pre-release Beta. Ran 3x LRM5s and a Medium Laser with as big of an engine as I could fit in there. It was fun though not nearly as fun as my LRM X-5. The semi-hysterical nature of this thread is that people are just now understanding the power of the LRM5 and, more to the point, the chain fired LRM5. Guys, this has existed since Beta...what took you so long to get on board?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users