Request For Criticism On Aws-8T Lrg Pulse Brawler

25 replies to this topic

#1 RaeSyngKane

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:11 PM

Hi all, trying to learn how best to build a mech and more importantly, what not to do. I've been using builds from meta mechs website for the most part but I would like to build something on my own for once and am trying to figure out what that entails. With that idea in mind here is a mech I have put together.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ba681497a93303f

I chose the AWS-8T as I am currently trying to elite the awesome line of mechs and I would also like a LPL brawler. I generally prefer a std engine and am okay with the speed.

Things I want to know:
Are streak srms worth anything on this build? (also where should I use them, if at all)
Just how bad is the heat on this thing
What I should know in future.

Thanks for yalls time

#2 Repasy Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 10 March 2016 - 10:25 PM

For a dedicated LPL build, you may want to try this instead: AWS-8T

It actually makes use of standard frame rather than endo steel. Usually an endo steel chassis is a good thing, but in this case it's preventing you from maximizing heat sinks. The streaks probably won't help at all on this build, as a streak's main job is catching pesky lights, but pulse lasers are already good for that too. The main brawl for this mech will probably be best at mid-range though, where the streaks are useless. If you tend to get killed by lights a lot, then you're free to keep them on, but keep in mind that they are limiting your mech's heat capacity. Also, since their main job will be defense against lights, you probably only need one ton of ammunition for them, maybe two.

Here is another possibility, using regular srms: AWS-8T

Though they do not have the lock-on capabilities of streaks, they are more effective in a general brawl as they do twice the damage. Again here, one ton of ammo per launcher is sufficient for an engagement, as the missiles are your secondary weapons and you will still want to keep engagements at close range to a minimum. Heat is still high but easily manageable.

When you first see the enemy, you should still probably be able to fire all lasers in an alpha strike without shutting down, and that will give your opponent a scare. Just be sure not to alpha more than once in a period, as a second would surely overheat your core. Chain-fire discipline is the name of the game.

Best of luck! :)

#3 RaeSyngKane

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:19 PM

Awesome! I had originally put the streaks in for dealing with lights but now I realize that the only other mech that I had used them on hadn't any other way to deal with them. The pulse lasers should be able to hold their own against any light mechs before they can close.

The extra heat efficiency from the standard chassis is I think worth it. Thank you so much for the advice!

I was messing around with your extra heat sinks build and found that if I dropped one heatsink I could mount a std 285 and ferro-fiberous. Do you think that is a good trade? I'm leaning towards it myself but would like to know what you think.

Edited by RaeSyngKane, 10 March 2016 - 11:46 PM.

#4 Repasy Cooper

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:01 AM

View PostRaeSyngKane, on 10 March 2016 - 11:19 PM, said:

Awesome! I had originally put the streaks in for dealing with lights but now I realize that the only other mech that I had used them on hadn't any other way to deal with them. The pulse lasers should be able to hold their own against any light mechs before they can close.

The extra heat efficiency from the standard chassis is I think worth it. Thank you so much for the advice!

I was messing around with your extra heat sinks build and found that if I dropped one heatsink I could mount a std 285 and ferro-fiberous. Do you think that is a good trade? I'm leaning towards it myself but would like to know what you think.

Hmm, interesting. I would say that the extra 4 kph it gives is not much. It won't affect the heat too much, though the sustained damage-per-second suffers slightly it should still perform well. And it does give a little extra mass to throw some extra armor on the legs, or place the auxiliary small laser back on the head. I don't think it's necessary, but those kinds of micro modifications should be left to the pilot's preference. So I'd say go for it if you don't mind spending the extra C-bills.

#5 Lictor

• PipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:34 AM

trade the streaks for 4's You are Never going to want to try and face tank with an awesome to keep your streak locks, twist in, fire all weapons, twist out.

#6 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:07 AM

No streaks, just large pulses. Put one arm in one fire group, the other in another - never chainfire, but understand if you fire all 4 you'll trigger ghost heat and generate extra heat, so fire one arm then the other
Chainfiring means holding too much face time, you don't want that.

Stay STD, obviously, and Endo Steel or not based on how many DHS you can fit (smurfy doesn't like my phone, so I can't do it right now).

Do not use FF. It's worse than ES, and you definitely can't use both as you'd have no room left for DHS.

#7 oO JimPansen Oo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 189 posts
  • LocationHerzberg / Lyran Commonwealth

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:21 AM

Would also drop the SSRM and upgrade the engine to a STD 300. With these kind of build you will have to get out of hot situations as fast as possible to cool down. Now add another DHS and some armor to legs. I'm using a similar build on Battlemasters. Works well. GL HF :)

#8 Steinkrieg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 144 posts
  • LocationNOLA

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:23 AM

View PostoO JimPansen Oo, on 11 March 2016 - 01:21 AM, said:

Would also drop the SSRM and upgrade the engine to a STD 300. With these kind of build you will have to get out of hot situations as fast as possible to cool down. Now add another DHS and some armor to legs. I'm using a similar build on Battlemasters. Works well. GL HF Posted Image

I concur. AWS-8T

View PostWintersdark, on 11 March 2016 - 01:07 AM, said:

(smurfy doesn't like my phone, so I can't do it right now).

aweMech is a great app for mechlabbing. If you want to share a build you make and save in it, it will link that build directly in smurfy.

#9 patoman

• PipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 05:18 PM

I would regardless of the build someone suggested or your own to make sure the engine is 300 or 275 to get best bang for buck on heat. The double heat sinks thing really helps because not only the slots on the engine you can put them on, it turns all the built in engine ones into doubles too, and some other complicated heat things that help you have allot more power.

If you have a good engine not only does it help with speed but heat, so a good reason for upgrading is not even caring for modest speed increases it does for assults but just to get more heat for shooting lasers.

Edited by patoman, 12 March 2016 - 05:18 PM.

#10 RaeSyngKane

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:50 PM

A ton of awesome suggestions and ideas! Thanks Yall!

Definitely going to use between a STD 275 and STD 300.

Always avoid the ghost heat and fire in groups.

Double Heatsinks is a must.

Really enjoyed all of your comments and learned alot. Thanks again!

#11 DrRedCoat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:43 PM

View PostSteinkrieg, on 11 March 2016 - 11:23 AM, said:

aweMech is a great app for mechlabbing. If you want to share a build you make and save in it, it will link that build directly in smurfy.

Someone get this man a medal! But seriously, aweMech is great except I think it's Android only.

#12 MonkeyCheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:42 PM

Its funny but i have been using my old school build of 4 large lasers, tag and 2 lrm10s and i have been doing really well as ranged support, guess its cus when im not in derp mode i know how to drive my barn doors thanks to that playtime in closed beta.

My 9m was always my brawling awesome. Just a pitty the 9m has been outshined as the go to super speedy assault mech brawler thanks to all them speedy clan mechs. But saying that cant wait for my masc kodiak.

#13 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 01:32 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c46a911b482164a

SRMs...mmm....

#14 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:14 PM

You might have seen this already but I did a full review on the 4xLPL AWS-8T a few months back.

#15 ArmandTulsen

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:55 PM

Ditch the Awesome in favour of the Zeus. Unless you're a Marik loyalist, in which case, don't you dare.

#16 Palfatreos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 398 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 02:26 AM

Don't own awsome and dunno there hitbox or weapon location so just thinkered with the 4 lpl awesome

AWS-8T (4 x lpl, STD300)
AWS-8T

the 16 head armor to survive a dual gauss or erppc in the head although it should rarely happend.
Maybe you want more back armor but 12 to much. Back armor supposed to defend yourself from friendly fire but each back armor means you have less front armor while fighting your enemy.

#17 CrimsonSteele

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:38 AM

Here's this to have fun with

[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2057924da283fea[/smurfy]

Just food for thought and here's one for missle boaters

[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7efc6e79353def9[/smurfy]

#18 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:03 PM

I'd do this. The AWS's biggest issue (yes, really, bigger than the profile) is the low engine cap, so I hate to ever go below the 300, but in this case 1KPH gets you 1DHS and that's a good trade, IMO, on a build where you want to be able to tempt ghost heat fairly regularly.

#19 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 11:17 AM

I'd loose the streaks. If you keep them you only need 1 ton of ammo, as that is 25 shots total, which I doubt you will get off with them.

Others have posted good quad only builds that utilize the STD 270 engine. You could get a bigger engine and go with a STD300 instead. Its a little warmer than the STD270 build, but is the extra speed and especially twisting can be useful.

#20 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,901 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 01 June 2016 - 02:21 PM

View PostTercieI, on 31 May 2016 - 06:03 PM, said:

I'd do this. The AWS's biggest issue (yes, really, bigger than the profile) is the low engine cap, so I hate to ever go below the 300, but in this case 1KPH gets you 1DHS and that's a good trade, IMO, on a build where you want to be able to tempt ghost heat fairly regularly.

I second this build. Try to play like a giant Medium - you're just barely and Assault, and you're going to get blasted pretty hard if you're the first one they see, so be the second guy they see and bully the enemy's Heavies and Mediums.

Do not take streaks. Streaks are for Assault pilots who don't know how to drive, or who picked too small of an engine.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users