11 replies to this topic

#1 Arkion29

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 29 posts
  • LocationNaples, Florida

Posted 11 March 2016 - 04:51 AM

I am getting back into the game after long break, and was thinking of getting the resistance 2 pack,

are the mechs from the pack worth it?

#2 Darkspart3n

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 41 posts
  • LocationThe Outer Rim

Posted 11 March 2016 - 06:05 AM

Wolfhound is pretty solid, not a must buy though.
Crab is fun but it is a pure laser boat and suffers from Stalker syndrome with its nose.
Black Knight is very strong with a metric ton of laser hardpoints but just slow unless you want to run XL
Mauler is a great dakka boat but just really slow and really tall. This hitboxes are also huge.

None of the mechs are bad but you should probably look at their stats in the store and see if you can make some builds you like before hand. Also 3 out of the 4 are straight laser boats so be ready to run into people recommending meta builds.

~Dark

#3 DirtyChewie

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:52 AM

All of the Resistance 2 mechs are available for cbills. I'd have a look at some of the classic mechs packs instead, the Marauder, warhammer, rifleman or soon the archer and as you level them up you'll earn the cbills for the resistance 2 mechs. Of those, I have just the crab and the wolfhound. The wolfhound is a nice light but didn't seem that different than the firestarter. I also had fun with the crab, especially the large pulse laser build.

#4 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:05 AM

Th Black Knight is the best of the bunch the Wolfhound is ok, Crabs are poor.
Mauler wise the MX90 is brutal

It's not worth spending real money on, and the new iconic packs are quite poor value for money on the top end. You can buy them for cbills anyway so do that instead.

#5 NeoCodex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 799 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:27 AM

Not worth it, skip it. Maybe Mauler for cbills but forget the rest.

Edited by NeoCodex, 14 March 2016 - 12:27 AM.

#6 Stormie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 279 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:35 AM

My personal opinion,
- Wolfhounds are pretty bad,
- Crab is the best IS Medium I've played by quite a way though I haven't played them all (played the shadowhawk, crab, wolverine, vindicator, blackjack and hunchback) - its not about having huge firepower its about how well it survives, allowing you to use your lower firepower long after the others I've played are gone.
- Black knight along with the Grasshopper are the scariest mechs to come up against in CW as a loyalist clanner at the moment. so much firepower, and also very tough.
- Mauler is flexible, as long as you remember its not going to take the same poundin an atlas does. Its ok but the Crab and the Black Knight are the highlights.

#7 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 14 March 2016 - 04:50 AM

View PostStormie, on 14 March 2016 - 12:35 AM, said:

My personal opinion,
- Wolfhounds are pretty bad,
- Crab is the best IS Medium I've played by quite a way though I haven't played them all (played the shadowhawk, crab, wolverine, vindicator, blackjack and hunchback) - its not about having huge firepower its about how well it survives, allowing you to use your lower firepower long after the others I've played are gone.

I agree on the Crab. It's a superficially unspectacular laser boat, but immensely survivable, which allows it to perform quite reliably. I like it.

I've got pretty good mileage out of the Wolfhound running them with the stock STD-210 engine and 1 or 2 ERLL's combined with a bank of ML's. They're also very survivable with an STD engine and go 105 km/h or so, and I've found them to do quite well if you pilot as a "Light Medium". Incidentally I play them almost exactly the same way I play my Crabs.

If you go the cookie-cutter route with max XL engine and boating SPL/ML/MPL, then the immediate comparison is to ACH and FS, and that comparison is not favourable to the Wolfhound.

#8 aaykeem

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:14 AM

Wolfhounds are pretty good, high engine cap so they go really fast with an XL and quite a few energy hardpoints on all variants, so you can get a good alpha out of them. They're really hard to hit, as long as you don't stand still. However, I've found myself wanting to hit the jumpjets on a lot of occasions, while running around at 150km/h, so I think Firestarters are a better choice in the long run.

I'm eliting Crabs atm, it's a chore. But I'm not a big fan of mediums so it was bound to happen. If you don't already have another energy-heavy 50 ton chassis and want one, they're a good choice.

Black Knights are next on my list, atm they're one of the best laser boat the IS has. We'll have to see if they hold up after the next patch comes in with the heat balancing aimed at eliminating large pinpoint alphas.

Maulers make really good ballistic boats and you can try some very fun builds on them, that you cannot on any other IS assault. Next on my list after BK.

Edited by aaykeem, 14 March 2016 - 05:16 AM.

#9 el piromaniaco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 957 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:32 AM

I really like them, and i do own all the other IS mechs too.

Wolfhound and Crab are tough and can zombie really nice, BlackKNight and Mauler can really carry a punch and are fun to play too.
Spend real money for them? If you are a real money spender, why not? Look at the variants and the equipment you get and play with their setup on smurfys.

Not much help for a decision here, i know. I payed for them (early adopter) and i don't regret it.

Greetings and nice to have you back though

el piro

#10 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,904 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:50 AM

Short answer: Yes

If you have the cash to blow then why not? Mauler is a dakka beast. BK is the current representative of thee "meta" for the IS (god I hate that word). Crab, especially the jumping variant and the high engine cap variant, is the most fun of any mech atm imo, plus it is a great zombie and tough as nails brawler when built appropriately. Only potential negative is the Wolfhound, which can be a tough mech too, but lacking JJs the Firestarter is better (I won't reacquire the FS as I feel that if I had them I would never play my Wolfhounds or Panthers ever again). So even a worst case view 3 of the mechs are really great and/or fun, and 1 is merely less than ideal. Not a bad purchase.

One other thing is that the "S" status of the resistance variants provide a nice c-bill bonus (equivalent to a "Hero"), a status that I don't think is available in the c-bill available versions of the mechs (someone will correct me if I am wrong).

#11 Arkion29

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 29 posts
  • LocationNaples, Florida

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:55 AM

Thanks for the advice. I pulled the trigger, and purchased the Mauler Pack.

So far, all I have played is the Black Knight and they are beasts. I did not know an XL engine could be so survivable on an IS mech. And the pain they bring is insane.

I have seen a few Crabs in the field and holy cow they are hard to kill. Going to try them next.

Again, thanks for all the help.

#12 el piromaniaco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 957 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:04 AM

Good choice you won't regret.

Have fun with them, see you on the battlefield Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users