Frame Rates For Decent Play

25 replies to this topic

#21 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:32 AM

I run on fairly high settings for my card simply because I like the game to look nicer - rock steady 31 fps after the initial 5-10 seconds of it trying to load the map.

Tried lower settings and for my rig anyhow the only fps dips are at the first drop in, a far bigger difference is which mouse I choose to play with.

#22 Lugh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:40 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 11 March 2016 - 07:44 AM, said:

I used to play MWO at 15 FPS from June of 2012 - December of 2012. I did fine... better than fine.

But that was then. MWO was full of bads and we didn't have double heatsink monsters...

But oh boy did we have fun.

1)Bowling (knockdowns) until the tears of the light pilots filled all the oceans of the universe.
2) PPCs that actually registered every hit.
3) the glitches that could make any mech GODMODE for a match.
4) Debates over whether the dual gauss K2 would 'kill the game' (it didn't it won't and hush crybaby it killed me forum warriors)
5) LRM apocalypse 1, LRM apocalypse 2 (heads and STs only please *facepalm*)

Ahhh the good ole days. Now 'git off my lawn you idjits!

#23 Queen of England

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 288 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:48 AM

I'd target your monitor's refresh rate, so 60-144 fps depending.

#24 FuzzyNova

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 401 posts
  • LocationComStar Cafeteria

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:51 AM

I have a new laptop with a lower end graphics card. The Radeon R3. Yeah I know...what is that? It's powered by AMD. Granted they just had an update for the Crimson AMD patch but still. I usually have to play MWO on all low settings. Damage low off all that stuff off. This is just for the game itself. Now let me tell you something.

I used to just open up MWO through the shortcut on my desktop screen. Sign in and start playing. But then I realized alot of the times even with it on low settings certain maps like River City were getting choppy. HPG manifold always ran smoother than butter.

So I realized if you have AMD on your computer you can run MechWarrior Online straight through your AMD Radeon Settings. If you do this instead of just running MWO normally It will increase performance. I'm going to try and tell you how to do this if you already don't know.

It would seem like if you have AMD on your computer it would automatically generate it's performance on your game. But it doesn't. Yes MWo does use the graphics card but this info will help alot.

So first find AMD Radeon Settings on your PC. If you search for AMD you will probably also see AMD Catalyst Control and something else. But just click on AMD Radeon Settings.

Once that opens in the top bar you will see (from left to right) Gaming, Video, Display and System.
Click on gaming. Once you do that a list of all your games should pop up in a row. In the top left hand corner click on Global Settings.

You will see a list of many different default settings for your games/applications. Everyone may be different and can tweek it to their standards.

Find texture filtering quality and click on it. Find performance and set it to that. You will also see things like "Anti-aliasing Mode which I set to override application settings. You will also see Anti-alisasing Method. Which I change to Multi sampeling instead of super sampeling.

The list goes on. OpenGL triple buffering. Shader cache. Anisotropic Filtering Mode. Tesselation Mode. Surface Format optimization..etc. All of this stuff can be made to increase performance in your game.

Now once you figure out what you want go back to games. And click the little bar next to MechWarrior Online. It will say two things. Launch game or remove profile.

Launch your game. Running MWO through Radeon Settings will increase everything. It worked for me. The game is more clear. Very responsive and quick. And way less lag and frame rate drops. I hope this works for you as it did for me. And if it's not exactly how you want it then go back to the settings and mess around a little. Then luanch game again and see how it works.

Anothrt thing. If you do decide to try this, write down how it was before and keep track of the settings so if you need to go back you can.

Hope this helps. Run game through AMD Radeon Settings instead of original client.

#25 Coolant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:06 AM

You can easily play with 25+. That means no dips below 25 even in combat. I've played with 18-23 before and its rough. Obviously the higher the better. If ur averaging 40 you don't need to upgrade especially if u have settings on High.

#26 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:10 AM

Consistent frame times are more important than frame rates.

For example, I run The Division at 2560x1440 max settings and only get between 19 and 32 FPS. But the frame times are fantastically consistent, so it feels smooth even when it dips in frame-rate. It is uncanny and weird, but entirely welcome because I can play with all the pretties on and little drawback.

MWO has wildly inconsistent frame times. There's a lot of stuttering even when you have 60 FPS showing.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users