15 replies to this topic

#1 Ted Wayz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:18 PM

So I love these anti-Archer threads by people who obviously do not Lurm or know how to Lurm. Their underestimation will lead to our profits, especially given the recent LRM buffs.

So what are you looking at for builds?

Just throwing these out there.

2R- No ST quirks so maybe no on XL given I like to hang 300-500m, prime lazer Alpha range. But I will probably reduce the engine to a STD 280, put three large racks on and back them up with medium lasers. Add in a LRM cooldown module with the quirks and recent LRM changes this will fire the big tubes fast. The velocity quirks will make this deadly at 350M.

5S- Again no ST structure quirks so probably go to STD, throw in 5 x LRM5 and back them up with 4 x MPL with the energy range and duration quirks. Did you see the torso quirks? This will spread like a bad boy so kiting will be easier.

5W- oh yeah! What to do with this one? Two chain-firing 4 x LRM5 groups? I am thinking two groups of 3 x LRM5 with SRM's for crowd control. Just make sure the top firing are LRMs. just wondering if this thing can hold enough LRM ammo to keep the beast fed.

Tempest- ECM. Full on structure quirks. Missile heat generation quirks. SRM brawler right? I will try it. But with 2 x LPL even though they aren't quirked. Also wish it had the 5W turn quirks. Will be able to up the engine for more speed to use against other brawlers. Interesting to see how long I stick with this one.

#2 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:22 PM

My plan ,Sell the 5s and 2R after getting basic xp . 5w load up mix of srms to get around ghost heat and chain fire 9-lrm5 for lols.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 11 March 2016 - 03:22 PM.

#3 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:34 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 11 March 2016 - 03:22 PM, said:

My plan ,Sell the 5s and 2R after getting basic xp . 5w load up mix of srms to get around ghost heat and chain fire 9-lrm5 for lols.

9 Streak SRM2s or 9 SRM2s for moar lolz.

#4 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:35 PM

Ah yes, the Build Secrets of the Underhive Overlords.

This should be entertaining.

#5 Thunderbird Anthares

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:36 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 11 March 2016 - 03:35 PM, said:

Ah yes, the Build Secrets of the Underhive Overlords.

This should be entertaining.

condescending much?

#6 LegendaryArticuno

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 664 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:39 PM

The only thing you can do in an Archer is load up on LRMs it's got no quirks to do anything else.

#7 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:41 PM

View PostThunderbird Anthares, on 11 March 2016 - 03:36 PM, said:

condescending much?

Just matching the OPs tone.

I'm all for talking builds, and looking forward to my Archer. But the snide, holier than thou tone of the post from a guy who hides his Tier?

Lolz-worthy. Of course, also about as expected.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 11 March 2016 - 03:47 PM.

#8 SmoothCriminal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 815 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:56 PM

Aaanyway- I am inches from getting a pack and a hero- because the Tempest can run a big XL, laser vomit and ECM. The 9M can be lrm5s or s-srm2s for trolling, and then a LRM15a and ml boat for some support.

That said I've missed the early adopter so will see how delicate those side torsos are next week before committing. God knows I've spent enough on this game already...

#9 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 11 March 2016 - 04:17 PM

View PostSmoothCriminal, on 11 March 2016 - 03:56 PM, said:

Aaanyway- I am inches from getting a pack and a hero- because the Tempest can run a big XL, laser vomit and ECM. The 9M can be lrm5s or s-srm2s for trolling, and then a LRM15a and ml boat for some support.

That said I've missed the early adopter so will see how delicate those side torsos are next week before committing. God knows I've spent enough on this game already...

20 dollar pack is still worth buy as you get prem time. As for the hero you might think about going with the Phoenix Hawk packs as you can still get the early rewards. There are two ecm and 1 masc mech but all together might be to high on the pocket book.

#10 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 04:21 PM

View PostLegendaryArticuno, on 11 March 2016 - 03:39 PM, said:

The only thing you can do in an Archer is load up on LRMs it's got no quirks to do anything else.

The 5S has nice energy quirks for secondary weapons.

Papa likes.

#11 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 11 March 2016 - 04:29 PM

"Full-on Structure Quirks"

I will surely notice the 11 extra structure in my CT, almost as much as I will notice the extra 7 structure in my huge shoulders.

#12 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 04:32 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 11 March 2016 - 03:41 PM, said:

Just matching the OPs tone.

I'm all for talking builds, and looking forward to my Archer. But the snide, holier than thou tone of the post from a guy who hides his Tier?

Lolz-worthy. Of course, also about as expected.

And yet there I am in the top 2% for every leaderboard I go for. Something just isn't matching up.

Underhive....tier....not saying someone is beginning to sound like a tryhard but it would be nice if people who post about these things backed them up with evidence of skill. As we know tier just means you play a lot, not that you play well.

Anywho, back on topic. Since I will get the minimum on the 2R and Tempest when they have the leaderboard event that leaves me the 5S and 5W. The 5W looks like much fun, but the 5S looks so damn effective.

View PostGas Guzzler, on 11 March 2016 - 04:29 PM, said:

"Full-on Structure Quirks"

I will surely notice the 11 extra structure in my CT, almost as much as I will notice the extra 7 structure in my huge shoulders.

About as good as it gets after the Blackjack re-quirkening. For some reason they like to give structure quirks for all points to the hero mechs.

#13 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 11 March 2016 - 04:34 PM

Yeah, but those structure quirks are incredibly benign compared to WHMs, BKs, MADs, etc. Even the Summoner can have some bigger structure bonuses.

#14 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 04:39 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 11 March 2016 - 04:34 PM, said:

Yeah, but those structure quirks are incredibly benign compared to WHMs, BKs, MADs, etc. Even the Summoner can have some bigger structure bonuses.

Yes and my guess is PGI thought they have overdone them in the past and are going in timid lately. The RFL came out around the time of the Blackjack nerf with very meek structure quirks. This one is similar.

Heck the Black Knight was straight up awful when it came out but received quirk after quirk after release. Now it is a beast.

Edited by Ted Wayz, 11 March 2016 - 05:15 PM.

#15 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 04:50 PM

View PostTed Wayz, on 11 March 2016 - 04:39 PM, said:

Yes and my guess is PGI thought they have overdone them in the past and are going in timid lately. The RFL came out around the time of the Blackjack nerf with very meek structure quirks. This one is similar.

Heck the Black Knight was straight up awful before it came out but received quirk after quirk after release. Now it is a beast.

Personally, I think the Black Knight would still be a powerful choice in a post-quirk world where most mechs receive few if any quirks. The biggest issue it had on release was its BIG CT. Even Dire Wolf pilots looked at it and said "So, I guess we've got a new black hole in town?"

#16 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 05:14 PM

View Postcazidin, on 11 March 2016 - 04:50 PM, said:

Personally, I think the Black Knight would still be a powerful choice in a post-quirk world where most mechs receive few if any quirks. The biggest issue it had on release was its BIG CT. Even Dire Wolf pilots looked at it and said "So, I guess we've got a new black hole in town?"

Almost reminded me of when Atlas had heads like watermelons on a toothpick.

Excited to see what PGI does to the quirks. If they make the Archer better than already on paper this is going to be fun.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users