Holy Crap The Atlas

BattleMechs

63 replies to this topic

#1 Hraxir

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:19 AM

Ok so im a really average player, probably slightly below average. Have played this on and off for years now and am still in teir 4. I had that special atlas with the 30% cbill boost that i got for supporting the game for a while and decided to give it a whirl. Im running 4x mlas 2 x srm 6 and an ac 20.

Holy crap ive played it 5 times now and have done really well with it. Last game last night i broke 1100 for the first time. Why are people so down on the atlas? It seems to be doing me proud.

Id post a pic to prove it but cant figure out how as im on me phone lol

#2 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:21 AM

Tier 4
/Thread

#3 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:25 AM

congrats nice to hear someone is having fun

#4 Hraxir

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:26 AM

I know im bad at this game but as its a game i still have fun lol. Plus i grew up with battletech so meh i enjoy it

#5 Sigilum Sanctum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,673 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:38 AM

Welcome to the fan club of the Brawling King.

I recommend 4 ASRM6 and the AC20. I think at one point it had SRM4 quirks, or just better cooldown quirks, so I used to run it with 4 ASRM4, 2ML, and the AC20.

The S is King, play it smart, and it will burn a path of annihilation for you.

#6 Hraxir

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:49 AM

Ill keep that in mind about the srms, im jost amazed at the damage this thing can do. I never thought id ever hit 1100 damage ever

#7 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:56 AM

I'm not sure what your Tier rating is but then again I'v always disliked the tier system. A Atlas can be a power house if it is used in the right situations. the common typical build that revolve around pure short range is devastating. However in the higher tiers were it becomes more and more about a hanful of mechs , laser vomit and so forth. The Atlas then begins to struggle a lot to hold its own. I am stuck in Tier 1 and want to get out of it but for the mean time my pride and joy the AS7-D I had to modify it so it at least stands some kind of chance.

Personally a Atlas should never be build to engage at one range alone. The mech is to slow to not have atleast some kind of long range weapon, either be a LRM rack , Gauss , smaller AC or long range lasers. The Atlas is a huge target and in the open people will take advantage and fire off shots. Even more so if they know that Atlas has nothing to return fire with. I always make sure every Atlas I field is capable of fighting at any range and of course loaded up all hard points with firepower. Glad to see you make use of the energy points both in the arms and center. Iv had times where I removed both torsos of a enemy Atlas before it even got with in its 270m range and the pilot did not have any chest mounted lasers. Horrible design choice but its their mech.

You can try the build in the S that got me 1500

AS7-S
STD 325
14 DHS
4 ML
3 SRM-4 + A
1 LRM=15 + A
1 AC20

As you can see its a heavily upgraded stock version. Its primary build for medium to close range fighting but carries a LRM to soften up targets as it closes into range.

AS7-D
THis is my pride and joy its the Atlas that got me the highest damaging Atlas in MWO till this day in a regular drop. the reason I take the AS7-D over the S is simple. The AS7-D is more versatile, and it has a nice qerk of 25% reduction in crit. I would of preferred if the internal buffs were actually armor, cause I see some Atlases running with will full structure and most of there weapons are gone.

This is the build I use almost always with this variant.

AS7-D
STD 335
15 DHS
2 ML (center)
2 SRM-6+A
1 AC20
2 ERLL ( or LL )

this allows me to keep enemy heads down while I advance or to provide fire support on maps like Alpine where as pure brawling Atlas would be useless until something actually happens. In my eyes a Atlas is not suppose to be fast it is suppose to a massive area denial unit with as much firepower and armor as it can carry.

If you want to try em go ahead.

#8 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:20 AM

View PostKh0rn, on 11 March 2016 - 01:56 AM, said:

AS7-S
STD 325
14 DHS
4 ML
3 SRM-4 + A
1 LRM=15 + A
1 AC20

As you can see its a heavily upgraded stock version. Its primary build for medium to close range fighting but carries a LRM to soften up targets as it closes into range.

You want to change that LRM15 to a LRM10 if you want your missile to come out in a single wave.
The Atlas have tube count of 10-6-6-6.
I often carry a LRM10+LRM5 combo if I forgo having SRMs.

#9 SQW

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:22 AM

Atlas is a beast. The problem is most people charge into the fray in the open trying to get within 300m range and get wrecked before they even get close.

The smart pilots use Atlas like a thug hiding in the alley corner ready to clubber you from outta no where. The dumb ones banzai from 600m and lose that right torso right away. Or try to boat LRM from the back line with just 2 LLs as backup and get wrecked by a 4MG Locust. Posted Image

There are no bad mechs in MWO, just terrible pilots.

#10 PyckenZot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 870 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAnderlecht, Belgium

Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:30 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 11 March 2016 - 01:21 AM, said:

Tier 4
/Thread

... really?
Turning the tables, quite an audacious statement from a T2 pilot who seemingly underestimates Atlai,...

View PostSQW, on 11 March 2016 - 02:22 AM, said:

Atlas is a beast. The problem is most people charge into the fray in the open trying to get within 300m range and get wrecked before they even get close.

The smart pilots use Atlas like a thug hiding in the alley corner ready to clubber you from outta no where. The dumb ones banzai from 600m and lose that right torso right away. Or try to boat LRM from the back line with just 2 LLs as backup and get wrecked by a 4MG Locust. Posted Image

There are no bad mechs in MWO, just terrible pilots.

Well said, the Atlas is a powerhouse but an unforgiving one. Whilst many other assaults allow for a broader ranger of tactics, Atlai oblige you to get in the enemy's face. Not always easy. Especially for inexperienced pilots.
(On a sidenote. One should never mention the L** Atlai,...)

Edited by PyckenZot, 11 March 2016 - 02:31 AM.

#11 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:33 AM

Holy atlas, the crab.

#12 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:34 AM

View PostPyckenZot, on 11 March 2016 - 02:30 AM, said:

... really?
Turning the tables, quite an audacious statement from a T2 pilot who seemingly underestimates Atlai,...

Har har har.
Let's turn this thread into a **** measuring contest, eh?

And no, i don't underestimate the Atlas, because usually i'm the one in it, but it really can't hold a candle to a Direwolf, as long as the pilot knows what he's doing.

#13 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:53 AM

these days atlas mechs are tanky as hell, no matter which tier you play. I had a match on forest lately and it took 3 heavy mechs to take one D atlas down but not before two of those heavirs where down. Played right, an Atlas is as fearful as it was back in the day.

Sure, if you ran out in the open or get focused down, no atlas will take that long but in a good brawl? Even the K can get nasty.

#14 Kh0rn

• Shredder
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 02:57 AM

View Postxengk, on 11 March 2016 - 02:20 AM, said:

You want to change that LRM15 to a LRM10 if you want your missile to come out in a single wave.
The Atlas have tube count of 10-6-6-6.
I often carry a LRM10+LRM5 combo if I forgo having SRMs.

I use the two wave salvo system to make it feel like they are being hit more. Mostly a Psychological weapon

#15 MechWarrior414712

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:14 AM

Is it heresy if I enjoy an Atlas without ballistics? Personally, I love the 3xlpl 4xsrm4 std350 with 20 dhs S variant.

#16 MechWarrior5152251

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:27 AM

Not sure what happened but the Atlas does much better than it used to. Those quirks are strong in a mech that spreads damage. I have decided to just shoot legs when I see an Atlas.

#17 Hraxir

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:37 AM

Ty for the builds and chat. Im usually in a jager mech hanging back so this atlas is a total switch for me. It seems lime my natural gameplay might suit it tho. I pretty much hang back a little and follow the pack. Then i try to be hidden round a corner to blast anyone commin round to flank the team or support a push

#18 Thunderbird Anthares

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:42 AM

and remember kids,
when in doubt, follow the Atlas

#19 Hraxir

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:46 AM

Christ dont follow me ill get u all killed lol

#20 Empyrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 210 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:56 AM

I love AS7-S with 4xML, 4xSRM4/wArtIV and AC/20. It is brutal in its effective range. Possible to one-shot lighter 'Mechs, and even big ones can be dismantled in short order.
Effectiveness depends on the map though.

This does require using only 300-rated SFE though, so Eliting it is a must. (Of course, being a tabletop Battletech purist, i would not use any engine not legal for proper Battletech even if my 'Mech had free weight for such.)

I also have strong back and leg armor, because i know people like to target those places.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users