2 Med Lasers Or One Med Pulse Laser?

14 replies to this topic

#1 MyriadDigits

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 282 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 01:09 PM

I recently bought a Crab as something of a brawling 'mech, but I'm having difficulty deciding whether to spend my last couple of tons on a single Medium Pulse Laser or a pair of Medium Lasers.

Here's its loadout currently. If you have critiques on aspects of its loadout besides my photon predicament, I won't mind.

Edited by MyriadDigits, 12 March 2016 - 01:44 PM.

#2 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,062 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 12 March 2016 - 01:28 PM

Your link is broken.

#3 MyriadDigits

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 282 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 01:44 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 12 March 2016 - 01:28 PM, said:

Your link is broken.

fixed it

#4 Exard3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationEast Frisia in Germany

Posted 12 March 2016 - 01:49 PM

I always go for standard mediums with IS Mechs. Most bang for the buck/ton. Pulse lasers have double the weight for minor damage increase and better "accuracy" (burn duration).

Edited by Exard3k, 12 March 2016 - 01:55 PM.

#5 Vlad Striker

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 12 March 2016 - 02:03 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...daa3aee4f86711d

much better config if you have c-bills.

#6 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 12 March 2016 - 02:18 PM

View PostMyriadDigits, on 12 March 2016 - 01:09 PM, said:

I recently bought a Crab as something of a brawling 'mech, but I'm having difficulty deciding whether to spend my last couple of tons on a single Medium Pulse Laser or a pair of Medium Lasers.

Here's its loadout currently. If you have critiques on aspects of its loadout besides my photon predicament, I won't mind.

I'd go with ML's mainly because they get better range overlap with your main weapons, the ERLL's. If I were to make minimal changes to your mech, I'd drop one DHS to enable putting in Ferro, and then put in 3xML. There'll then be tonnage left to up-engine to 260 (speed is always useful):

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b83e43c61d64490

View PostVlad Striker, on 12 March 2016 - 02:03 PM, said:

I don't much like XL engines in Crabs. The Crab's standout virtue is incredible tanking ability with STD engines, possibly the best in the game. That's straight out of the window with an XL engine. In virtually every game with my Crabs, I lose a side torso. Yet I still have most of my combat capability remaining at that point -- why stop the game there? They fight well with even both ST's gone, and this happens very commonly too.

#7 MechWarrior4023212

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 367 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 12 March 2016 - 02:22 PM

I am speaking from clan side, the only place I use ER is on large as a sniper, the rest are pulse for the quicker burn time which means more damage per second as you shoot at a moving mech.

#8 Repasy Cooper

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 12 March 2016 - 02:23 PM

Your loadout is fine as is. If you swap your med pulse laser for 2x med lasers, it will negatively affect your DPS. 2 medium lasers are stronger than 1 med pulse, but if you get stuck in a brawl the DPS will matter more. Also, since you have a primary long range build, you probably want to avoid mid & close range, and the medium lasers won't help you at long range. So it's best to save all the heat capacity you can for the ER large lasers, and then maximize your DPS for when close range brawls are unavoidable, much like you have done already.

View PostVlad Striker, on 12 March 2016 - 02:03 PM, said:

That is a good build, but it is fundamentally different from his long range build. If he's already used to playing long range, it may not fit his playstyle.

Also, I'm not so sure about the XL Engine in that chassis. I would be more inclined to either keep the stock engine equipped for greater survivability in a brawl, or equip only an XL 250 so I can add more heat sinks for better DPS, like so: CRB-27 MOD1

#9 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 12 March 2016 - 02:47 PM

I would drop 1 heatsink and the MPL to put in 3 ML, use the MLs at closer range, the ERLLs at long range, with a big alpha strike punch available for emergencies, you would then have enough slots to add Fero allowing you to upgrade the engine to 260.

you would end up with something like this.

or possibly drop the AMS, add fero and up the engine to 275, giving something like this

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 12 March 2016 - 03:12 PM.

#10 Vlad Striker

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 12 March 2016 - 02:48 PM

Crab XL friendly so use it.

#11 xe N on

• 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 March 2016 - 03:00 PM

IS can fire 3 large laser without ghost heat. Use this advantage:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3c5ff7bf01431a1

#12 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 12 March 2016 - 03:05 PM

Two medium lasers.

~Leone.

#13 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 12 March 2016 - 03:15 PM

View Postxe N on, on 12 March 2016 - 03:00 PM, said:

IS can fire 3 large laser without ghost heat. Use this advantage:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3c5ff7bf01431a1

I love 3xERLL Crabs, but I might argue it's better done on the 27B. It's the one variant that gets heat generation quirks (-10% for energy plus -5% for ERLL's), so you can run an STD engine for survivability and still have enough DHS for good heat management.

That one (minus 1 DHS, plus head ML) is a corner stone of my CW drop decks.

#14 MyriadDigits

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 282 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 04:24 PM

I actually got the Crab because I'd seen around it could make good use of twisting, and I don't want to shave off my shields for an XL. I might experiment with removing a DHS and going for 3 MLs.

Thanks for the help!

#15 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 12 March 2016 - 04:44 PM

As the CRB is one of my recent FAVORITE chassis, and I'm having an absolute BLAST with them, let me offer this...

First, it's relatively XL-safe. Torso-twisting in this thing isn't going to do you much good, and shielding with the arms is downright impossible (unless the enemy is well below and somewhat behind you). You want to spread damage? Like some other mechs with long snouts, just wiggle the nose at it. In fact, just get used to doing that ALL the time unless you're aiming/firing. So yeah, use the XL and let SPEED enhance your ARMOR. A 250 isn't TERRIBLY slow, but I run XL280 or faster. Actually, between the three I have, I run XL280, XL300, and XL320 (or is it 325?). So seriously, you should have an XL280 or two laying around, as well as a XL295 and a couple XL300s. They're common engines that are GREAT to have a few spares of. Grab one or two of those, rebuild on them, and drive on.

Second, DEFINITELY do the twin mediums over the single medium pulse. Why? Well, changing NOTHING ELSE about the build you posted, you have a HE of over 50% as you built it with the single MPL, and it stays well over 40% (41 or 44, I don't remember) changing that to dual-ML. Over 40% is relatively cool, and that's higher DPS at longer range. Throw in a ML range and ERLL cooldown module, and you're set! (I run mine with THREE MLs, and two ERLLs or LLs.)

Third, I'm not sure that the ERLL is necessary over the LL. They're only reasonable in the arm mounts on the -27, and those are LOW mounts. No good for hill humping AT ALL, and of limited use in corner-peeking. They've got the Cataphract syndrome, where a lot of shots get blocked by speed bumps and anthills. So longer-ranged engagement is maybe not what those mounts are good for. THAT being the case, may as well save some heat and gain some DPS by moving to regular LLs. OR, with a light-enough XL engine, you maybe could even stuff in some LPLs. But even standard LLs will make more sense, as they'll be able to do the same damage, for less heat, more often, at more reasonable engagement ranges for the low-slung arm mounts.

IF you're going to remove anything for that third ML, let it be a single AMS and a half-ton of AMS ammo. You can send the other ton to the leg, as these things don't tend to get legged often. 0.5 tons each for the AMS and the half-ton ammo bin, means 1 ton and 2 slots freed for a 1-ton and 1-slot weapon. WIN. And you've still got a single AMS with a whole ton of ammo (I usually carry only a half-ton for a single AMS). ***EDIT*** LIKE THIS. ***EDIT***

I <3 CRABS.

Edited by Sister RAbbi, 12 March 2016 - 04:49 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users