- - - - -

I Want To Progress To Faction Play, Can Anyone Help?

Help Me Question

13 replies to this topic

#1 PensiveWarhorn

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 12:23 AM

Hi all

Been playing MWO for a few weeks now and I feel like I'm getting somewhere (I don't die straight out of the dropship all the time anymore). At some point I want to progress from quick play to faction play but I want a couple more owned mechs before I do that. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

At the moment I have the following

Jenner IIC
4 small pulse lasers and SRM6
(The pulse lasers fire in chain for WG1 and all together in WG2, the SRM6 is WG3)

Orion IIC
UAC20, 2 lrg laser, 2 SRM6 and 1LRM15

I have a lot more success with the Orion than with the Jenner at the moment by virtue of it being able to take a bigger hit. Obviously with both of these mechs being Clan I'll be looking at a Clan faction, can anyone suggest which mech I could buy next? I enjoy brawling more than anything else so a mech that lends towards that would be preferable, at the moment I'm looking at the hunchback IIC and the Hellbringer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated guys.

#2 MechWarrior4023212

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 367 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 13 March 2016 - 01:04 AM

SWOL drops nightly US time and has a good mix for pub drops on as well.

We also have a TS and web site for guidance.

#3 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 01:23 AM

Hunchback and Hellbringer are solid choices. Stormcrows and Timberwolves are good too

#4 Kurbeks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 337 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 01:33 AM

Like posted above crow and Timberwolf

#5 Lupis Volk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 13 March 2016 - 01:45 AM

Lights: Arctic cheetahs, adders and Jenner 2c's are solid picks.

Medium: I'd suggest Stormcrow over any other since it's a solid mech. the Hunchback 2c is weak armor wise. it's more or less a glass cannon.

Heavy: Timber wolf and Hell bringer are the go too mechs.

Assualts: no real clue here.

Edited by Lupis Volk, 13 March 2016 - 01:45 AM.

#6 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 13 March 2016 - 01:51 AM

Orion IIC is a 75t mech and your Jenny is 35t IIC.
First thing you needfor going into CW is 4 individual Mechs of the same faction with at least basics complete and full loadout.
3x 75t Orion + 1x 35t Jenner = 260t Dropdeck just perfect.

That is if you got 3 Oris and Jennys ?

To get what you need out of your mechs you MUST HAVE 3 of a kind to level them to elite or better even master them, the additional module slot pays of.

So you got IIC Mechs. This means you are CLAN faction ( Dogs, Smoking Kittys, Green Parrots and white Teddys Posted Image )

I would suggest you go here and see what you like most and get recruited by a unit with ppl speaking your prefered language and day time zone.

Have fun

EDIT: Again to put some emphasis on it. Regardless of what you will take as next chassis YOU NEED THEM LEVELED and this means you need 3 different variants of each chassis.

Edited by The Basilisk, 13 March 2016 - 01:58 AM.

#7 PensiveWarhorn

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 01:52 AM

So Hellbringer is good but Stormcrow over Hunchback IIC? Any advice on what to load them out with?

Thank you all for the help guys this was exactly what I was looking for and I appreciate it immensely.

#8 PensiveWarhorn

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 01:57 AM

Thanks Basilisk, the only issue that Orion IIc is only available for MC. Buying one was a stretch, getting another two is more than I can really justify spending on a computer game. Would I be better getting three Hellbringers perhaps? How essential is it to elite your mechs? I haven't unlocked any modules yet anyway.

I will follow the link and look for a faction though, thanks.

#9 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 13 March 2016 - 02:19 AM

View PostPensiveWarhorn, on 13 March 2016 - 01:57 AM, said:

Thanks Basilisk, the only issue that Orion IIc is only available for MC. Buying one was a stretch, getting another two is more than I can really justify spending on a computer game. Would I be better getting three Hellbringers perhaps? How essential is it to elite your mechs? I haven't unlocked any modules yet anyway.

I happened to notice in the Patch notes that the Orion IIC will become available for c-bills in the next patch. That's the day after tomorrow.

In general getting three variants to be able to get the elite skills is highly recommended. First, one of the Elite skills is the immensely useful Speed Tweak (increase in top speed). And even more importantly, once you get ALL Elite skills, that will double the effect of all Basic skills. That'll make a big difference in both your mech's agility and heat management. It depends a bit on the mech on how essential the Elite skills are, but in general if your mech feels sluggish or you have any heat management issues, going for Elites is really useful.

Remember to play around with the Trial mechs. I don't play Clans myself, but I notice you have for example the Timber Wolf champion as a Trial, and it looks like an excellent build to me. I wouldn't feel bad about using one good trial mech to complete your drop deck, if you're short on tonnage.

#10 Khereg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 919 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 13 March 2016 - 05:10 AM

For clan, you can build a very versatile FW deck with some combination of Timberwolves, Ebon Jaguars, Hellbringers, and/or Stormcrows - all of which are available for c-bills. I'd start with those. You don't need them all. In fact, I'm currently running a CW deck of all EBJ's at the moment.

You can check out some specific builds that are proven performers in FW in the link in my sig.

#11 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 13 March 2016 - 06:22 AM

View PostPensiveWarhorn, on 13 March 2016 - 01:57 AM, said:

What Jss78 said, Orion IIC will become available for C-bills on thuesday/wednesday and Jenner is already available.
Since you already own one you can buy the other two with C-bills. Thats what I would recommend to do.

Buying SINGLE MECHS with MC is a waste of money though.
If you WANT to spend some bugs buy a pack.

There are some mech packs that actually would get you the full chassis ( 3 variants ) for 35 bugs on clan side.
Omnis cost more (50$ me thinks). IIC less but still more than IS.

On IS side things are quite a bit cheaper.
3 vars of the Marauder f.e. would cost you 20 bugs. Posted Image
Never the less you need some serious C-bills to upgrade IS mechs to state of the art to be viable ... so take care.

While some of the guys here propose generaly *deemed to be good* mechs for C-bills, those buggers will cost you tens of millions of C- bills.
A long way to grind.
And your Orion isn't realy a bad mech but to be honest it does not excell either.
But since it looks like you already spend some money on a single mech....well....just get the other two and later a Timbi ( also 75 tonns ) or Hellbringers and Vultures ( 65t and 60t )
For lights your Jenner IIC is one of the most dangerous light raiders in game.
A 5 tonns lighter option is the Arctic Cheeta ( or just the Cheater )

And yes....at least eliting a mech is essential to get that thing up to what it realy is able to do.

Edited by The Basilisk, 13 March 2016 - 06:24 AM.

#12 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 13 March 2016 - 02:31 PM

View PostPensiveWarhorn, on 13 March 2016 - 12:23 AM, said:

Hi all

Been playing MWO for a few weeks now and I feel like I'm getting somewhere (I don't die straight out of the dropship all the time anymore). At some point I want to progress from quick play to faction play but I want a couple more owned mechs before I do that. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

At the moment I have the following

Jenner IIC
4 small pulse lasers and SRM6
(The pulse lasers fire in chain for WG1 and all together in WG2, the SRM6 is WG3)

Orion IIC
UAC20, 2 lrg laser, 2 SRM6 and 1LRM15

I have a lot more success with the Orion than with the Jenner at the moment by virtue of it being able to take a bigger hit. Obviously with both of these mechs being Clan I'll be looking at a Clan faction, can anyone suggest which mech I could buy next? I enjoy brawling more than anything else so a mech that lends towards that would be preferable, at the moment I'm looking at the hunchback IIC and the Hellbringer.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated guys.

Actually, I think you're on to something there. HBR and HBK-IIC will do just fine. I'd recommend the HBK-IIC-A first from the chassis, as it's the most useful in CW of the four. IIC and IIC-C are alright, too. IIC-B is pretty weak, IMO, though I guess if you're looking for a LRM boat medium it ain't THAT bad.

HBR is an omnimech, so honestly I'd start with the cheapest one and just be sure to get the right omnipods for it. The only two things that make it worth taking over the EBJ, though, are fully asymmetric loadouts and ECM. The latter only comes with one of the LT omnipods, so be sure to pick that up. Also, there's only one H omnipod that has an E weapon slot, so be sure to grab that too.

That'll have your DD a little light, with one of each, at 225 tons. You could ton-up the JR7-IIC for another HBK-IIC or even HBR, and still be within the current top-end.

While the builds on metamechs.com aren't for everyone in public play, they're generally VERY ideal for CW. I'd look into that. For my part, I find a HBK-IIC with 2x cLPL and a bunch of cSPL or cERSL, with the cLPLs in the top mounts on one side torso, along with a single JJ and a cXL275, to be a pretty darned good mech. HBR with 2x cERLL (1H, 1LT) and 4x cERML (2LT, 2LA), with ECM and TCompI and a bunch of cDHS, is solid with a pretty good dead/shield side. OR, use the ballistic RT (PRIME omnipod, I think?) with cGauss or cUAC/10 or 2x cUAC/5, and 4 cERML (1H, 3LT). The 2x cUAC/5 build is a favorite for solo queue, too.

And get used to packing a Targeting Computer for any laser builds. Turns out, they haven't been working right all this time, and so with Tuesday's patch they're going to SEEM really supremely buffed with regard to critical damage bonus. Should be an interesting week.

GOOD LUCK!

Edited by Sister RAbbi, 13 March 2016 - 02:32 PM.

#13 PensiveWarhorn

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:05 PM

I've gotta agree with Basilisk here, the Orion isn't a bad mech but I really don't feel like its brilliant either. If I'm gonna do this I wanna make sure I get a decent set of mechs. Are there mastery bundles for Clan Mechs? Because I can only find the IS ones. I know I said I dont want to spend money but I may stretch a little if I'm getting a whole set of mechs out of it.

Genuinely though guys, thank you so much for the help, I feel a little more like I know what I'm looking for now.

#14 crustydog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:43 AM

Or, you could even stick with the Orions and the Jenners, and not go far wrong with that either. The Orions are mean brawlers, especially good in tight quarters, and I consider the Jenner IIC's to be the most dangerous lights in the game at the moment.

Stormcrows are a good third option, about half way between the Jenners and the Orions, Stormcrows have proven their worth and I usually take at least one in every Clan drop deck I field. All around solid performers, they will not disappoint you.

Clan gear can get quite pricey, and I recommend you build up a reserve of earnings and take advantage of the mech (and mech bay) sales that tend to come along with some frequency. I saved almost $20 million C-Bills on my Direwolves alone by waiting for the 30% off sale before buying them. In fact, I seldom buy mechs at all if they are not first on sale.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users