How To Play Domination (For Those That Need It)

10 replies to this topic

#1 crashlogic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 318 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 03:09 AM

Sadly, after my experience all week end, this seems necessary.

Domination is a "king of the hill" type Game Mode. There is a green circle in the middle. There is also a one minute timer. The first team to lower the timer to zero wins. If you are in the circle and the enemy isn't you clock counts down. If the enemy is in the circle and you aren't, their clock counts down. So the circle is pretty critical to the game.
If you find that you are chasing enemy mech three squares away from the circle, you are not helping your team. If the whole team is sniping because CERLL's are the ****, then you are going to lose. If you think you are doing a good job killing the enemy but noone is in the circle, you are going to lose. If your team isn't in the circle your build does not matter.

So basically the circle is really important in the domination mode.
Thank you for taking the time to learn how to play the game modes.

#2 kesmai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:53 AM

Don't let this guy fool you. Don't step into the green thingy.
It is in fact and of course an acid gas cloud that will melt away your armor.
Thanks for your attention.

#3 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:13 AM

ROFL

I love it when I am a Jenner I am the only one in the circle hiding behind a rock a tree or something for the first 5 minutes of the game as my teams Heavies and Assaults refuse to step into the circle and would rather play hide hide hide alpha once, hide hide hide.

My current philosophy is I will get to the center first and if my heavies and assaults refuse to get in, I just leave for better cover.

#4 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:52 PM

My last 2 Domination wins:
* whole team pushed into the circle and pushed the enemy out.
* every enemy mech that tried to get back in was crushed.
* Counter hit 0 with several enemy mechs still alive.
* WIN!

#5 smokytehbear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • LocationThe Heat Lab

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:58 PM

It's worth noting that you've left out that it also stops the enemy timer if they take fire while in the circle. It's totally reasonable in some situations, even preferred, to not have somebody run out into the open and die if you can just as easily shoot an enemy one time and stop them all the same.

I get what you're going for here, but when two intelligent teams face off against each other, in my experience it's the stuff that happens outside the circle that determines the victor, and the whole "king of the hill" notion becomes an afterthought because it's so easy to counter.

#6 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:17 PM

It is worth noting that on Crimson, if a light mech rushes the circle, the entire 1 minute can count down before the enemy team can make it to the circle from the further spawn points.

Alpine also has cover for the circle on one side and a mountain on the other, so going into the circle from the southern spawn points is suicide and very unbalanced.

Domination doesn't work very well on quite a few of the maps. I can understand how some teams don't want to advance on the circle because there is no cover and they will just get melted 1 by 1 as they try to hold the other team from counting down.

Domination is a fine game mode mechanically but the locations are surely uneven and trying to play around that isn't very fun.

#7 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:31 PM

View PostXetelian, on 20 June 2016 - 06:17 PM, said:

Domination is a fine game mode mechanically but the locations are surely uneven and trying to play around that isn't very fun.

You already mentioned it. Alpine domination is terrible. I only get the map/mode combo very infrequently, but out of random chance, I've almost always ended up on the favored side. The large hill that is partially on the cap area is too steep for most mechs to traverse from the downhill side and use as cover to peek, and beyond that is a big open area (the cap) for the uphill team to have a shooting gallery. It ends up with most of the downhill team hiding behind the big mountain, which is poor cover since one edge can't adequately cover the crossing to the other edge, meaning the uphill team takes the foothills overwatching the point and works their way from that edge of the big hill. In other words, the downhill team really has nothing going for them.

#8 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:23 AM

Do not try to stay in the green circle..That's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth..

There IS NO green circle..

Then you will see.. it is not the circle that is green.. but yourself..

Also, the Hula Girl is a lie. Posted Image

Edited by Vellron2005, 21 June 2016 - 12:24 AM.

#9 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 21 June 2016 - 02:16 AM

Oh great ... someone with only half a clue is out there to educate us.
No offense but ...

FYI ... there is zero reason to go into the circle. Because when you stand in the circle and someone shoots you your "clock" does NOT count down. Same time that silly circle is a very exposed position, which means that going into the circle puts you at a great disadvantage, you are not able to avoid being focused, you have no cover and enemy always know where you are.

That said, if you have mechs that already are in the circle and not going into the circle with the rest of your mechs is even worse, because as soon as they are focused down because they are exposed you'll be several mechs down without much of a chance to come back from that.

The way you play domination is you bait several enemy mechs to go into the circle, you kill them easily, then use numbers advantage to either prevent the enemy from going in or flat out slaughter them. A high tier match of domination can be won without a single mech ever stepping into the circle.

#10 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:32 AM

Isn't "Domination" just another name for "Skirmish". Posted Image

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 21 June 2016 - 02:16 AM, said:

A high tier match of domination can be won without a single mech ever stepping into the circle.

Yes! Yes! It is another name for "Skirmish". Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 21 June 2016 - 07:34 AM.

#11 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:13 AM

It is the long range snipers and LRM boats that vote for the mode.
It isn't like they need to get into that uncomfortable killing zone...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users