Suggestion On Map Voting

39 replies to this topic

#1 Strelok7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:41 AM

I know why the system was changed, and I agree. But it was overdone, as often happens.

Real case example:
36% for map A
34% B
16% C
14% D

A wins, but 64% of players don't want to play that map.
Just go with this example, its not an impossible scenario.

So, 64% is a majroty in this case. And they have no way to vocie their NO.

Here is where a 2nd vote would come in handy.

Example: I want to play D (voted 1/2), I see A is winning and I just played that map few times already so I don't want it anymore, so I pick B (voted 2/2).

#2 Nooee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 155 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:47 AM

There should be 4 game modes on the game mode vote. Otherwise what good is voting when for game modes that you do not care for and are forced to play. Seems to me this will lead to a smaller player base and less revenue for PGI.

#3 NoiseCrypt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 596 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 16 March 2016 - 09:47 AM

I agree that map voting would make more sense if you could prioritize the maps from 1-4, instead of just casting a single vote.
But i also agree with their approach of only changing one core functionality at at time. Doing this, they prevent a lot of potential mistakes, and yoyo'ing.

And considering how many opinions there are being thrown around regarding voting, I'm actually glad that its a only "simple" change.

#4 Strelok7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:09 PM

I think the whole goal here is to have people play what they want. You play for fun so it should be fun. If it is not the right map over and over again, that’s repulsive.
Some ideas:
Vote multiplier of a higher value
1 vote for, 1 against (maybe most people don’t want to play that map)
2 rounds of voting

#5 Vlad Striker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 17 March 2016 - 09:48 AM

A wins, but 64% of players don't want to play that map.

Wrong calculation: 64% of players indifferents to play at A map.

#6 Rededevil

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 17 March 2016 - 02:37 PM

How about a button that you can preset so that you are only presented the modes you like to play, so for instance, a dropdown and select button so that if you don't like conquest, or skirmish for example - you can just disable those and not see them? You could do the same thing with maps.. so simple and easy, right?

#7 NoiseCrypt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 596 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 17 March 2016 - 02:55 PM

View PostRededevil, on 17 March 2016 - 02:37 PM, said:

How about a button that you can preset so that you are only presented the modes you like to play, so for instance, a dropdown and select button so that if you don't like conquest, or skirmish for example - you can just disable those and not see them? You could do the same thing with maps.. so simple and easy, right?

... I cant help but wonder if there is a catch... it seems almost to easy...

#8 Clobba

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 13 posts
  • LocationMelbourne Australia

Posted 17 March 2016 - 04:16 PM

the old map voting was fine, yes people gamed it but getting up to x12 was the only way I ever got to play on Terra now I can kiss that goodbye as the only way to up my multiplier is to only vote when Terra is up and abstain from all other voting...way to increase variety...Posted Image

#9 NoiseCrypt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 596 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:07 AM

View PostClobba, on 17 March 2016 - 04:16 PM, said:

the old map voting was fine, yes people gamed it but getting up to x12 was the only way I ever got to play on Terra now I can kiss that goodbye as the only way to up my multiplier is to only vote when Terra is up and abstain from all other voting...way to increase variety...Posted Image

I cant wait to see some statistics on all the new juicy data they are getting from having people actually voting on what they want to play. Maybe you are right and Terra will only account for 1% of all matches played... but the great thing is... now they have true data to support or reject claims like this. With the "old" voting system, they had nothing but subjective opinions and polluted data.

What they choose to do with that data is then a completely different matter. But i guess we will find out.

#10 Ulris Ventis

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:28 AM

I agree on
1. Mode restriction in options, to leave out those you don't want, or, to be able to pick from any mode.
2. Playing same maps OVER and OVER is not correct at all, I can accept random next map/mode rather than the current system.
At least with random I don't have to worry that EVERY time it's Canyons we WILL play Canyons, and I hate that map in a slow mech without JJ. Geodata is god awful.

#11 Lucyna Kushinada

Rookie

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:27 PM

The new map-vote-mode is absolutly bad. before i could stack my votes and get a diffrewnt map then the nmost wanted. now it is over and over the same 3 maps.
I can NOT influence it any more!

it is getting frustrating to Play only 3 maps but there are many more.

Please give me a possibility to get othe maps played!

Best would be to get rid of the Mapvoting ang return to the mapcycling it had bevor mapvote.

#12 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:32 PM

View PostRededevil, on 17 March 2016 - 02:37 PM, said:

View PostNoiseCrypt, on 17 March 2016 - 02:55 PM, said:

... I cant help but wonder if there is a catch... it seems almost to easy...

The catch, which is why we have the voting system, is wait time and overall match quality.

#13 Lucyna Kushinada

Rookie

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:41 PM

Slowly but surely i am very frusting to Play the same maps over and over again. Tera Therma and Caustic Valey are not played anymore it seems....

Edited by NomiTar, 18 March 2016 - 04:42 PM.

#14 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:26 PM

Rollback to pre Voting!

#15 maniacos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 777 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 02:13 AM

The whole voting system is bull, if you ask me. True random maps was the best. The problem of pre-voting games was that PGI forced us on new or updated maps at a greater time and so you had the annoyance of playing a single map like 80% of the time.
If it was true random, you would have equal chances to drop on a map and when it's the one you don't like it's much likely just one game on the same map and you will get a better one next round.

As for game mode voting, the old system was way better. I never liked conquest and always had it deselected from the list and I hate it even more now because you have times when you drop every2nd matches or even several times on a row into the gamemode you don't want to play. Thats like joining a sport clup to play basketball and they force you to play golf all the time.

So I won't mind if the voting was gone completely or at least the voting for game modes.

Edited by maniacos, 19 March 2016 - 02:14 AM.

#16 Cy Mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 10:13 AM

I do not have a problem with the present system. I tend to see a wide variety of maps during my play time. I see less variety in modes.

I could support a voting system where the player can choose a map (and mode) that they really want to play and then they are placed in a queue where they wait until 23 other players also sign up to play that map (and mode). That way if you really, really want to play a certain map and mode or to avoid playing a certain map or mode you can do so at the expense of waiting for what you want to fill up and launch.

Those who are OK with playing whatever map and mode is voted in will still have the benefit of getting into games faster.

Personally, I would like to have the option of NOT playing on the Oceanic servers. I am not sure if it is the high ping or the lack of communication but wins on that server in QP are few and far between for me while the win rate for my PUG teams on the NA servers are like 3-1 and the Euro servers are at least 1-1. I would happily wait in queue longer so as not to go on that server.

Edited by Rampage, 19 March 2016 - 10:16 AM.

#17 Dibster

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 12:48 PM

This is the best iteration of map selection so far. Now it's a question of PGI making the non-voted maps better and more interesting so they'll come up more often. I think their latest map is their greatest, it's no wonder it tends to win.

#18 Groovdog

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 76 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI

Posted 19 March 2016 - 01:00 PM

View PostNoiseCrypt, on 18 March 2016 - 02:07 AM, said:

I cant wait to see some statistics on all the new juicy data they are getting from having people actually voting on what they want to play. Maybe you are right and Terra will only account for 1% of all matches played... but the great thing is... now they have true data to support or reject claims like this. With the "old" voting system, they had nothing but subjective opinions and polluted data.

What they choose to do with that data is then a completely different matter. But i guess we will find out.

Terra wont even get 1%. On the other hand canyon getting 50%+

#19 Groovdog

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 76 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI

Posted 19 March 2016 - 01:21 PM

View PostDibster, on 19 March 2016 - 12:48 PM, said:

This is the best iteration of map selection so far. Now it's a question of PGI making the non-voted maps better and more interesting so they'll come up more often. I think their latest map is their greatest, it's no wonder it tends to win.

Frankly only seeing the same 3 maps, would love to see more once and a while.

#20 Strelok7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:41 PM

View PostNomiTar, on 18 March 2016 - 04:41 PM, said:

Slowly but surely i am very frusting to Play the same maps over and over again. Tera Therma and Caustic Valey are not played anymore it seems....

Same here. I like those maps, and I dont hink I played "Therma" or maybe even "Caustic", even once since the update.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users