Hellbringer - Thoughts?

58 replies to this topic

#21 SmoothCriminal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 815 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:15 AM

Anyone played around with 7ERMLs or 6 MPLs. arguably similar firepower but range and cooling v duration and GH...?

#22 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 02:14 AM

7 ERML seems like it would run too hot. I guess you could split up the firing groups, but you'll also have them spread all over your Mech as well. If you were brawling this wouldn't be super bad, but one of the best parts about the HBR is the 3 E in the LT and the 1 E in the Head. Those four points will win you the game, the rest are just gravy.

#23 SmoothCriminal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 815 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 10:37 AM

would one extra ML be that much? and without ghost heat in batch firing it gives you 6 more DHS...

#24 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:16 AM

Hey, try it out if you want! That's the best part of this game Imo.

#25 Heavyarms76

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 37 posts
  • LocationExpress Elevator Going Down!

Posted 10 April 2016 - 02:21 AM

ive got a close range brawler hellbringer running 7 cspls and 2 srm 6s, does really well at dealing out the damage and stays rather cool with the heat sinks slapped on there also running the ecm cause really you wont be sneaking around without it.

#26 MechWarrior414712

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 04:22 AM

I'm running Gauss @ 2.5tons, 3ermlas and 1 lpl. Pretty gud. You can alpha twice, then stick with your lpl + 1 ermlas until you got 40% spare heat.

#27 MarineErrant

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:13 AM

I run mechs stock in general since I'm a cheap *******. I hated the A and B variants. Way too squishy. It felt like they had less durability than a stock adder. Prime is nice.

#28 Palfatreos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 398 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 04:36 PM

View PostSmoothCriminal, on 29 March 2016 - 08:15 AM, said:

Anyone played around with 7ERMLs or 6 MPLs. arguably similar firepower but range and cooling v duration and GH...?

HBR-A (6 x cMPL, ECM, TC1)
HBR-A
It hot and you have to protect your left torso as best you can but it a good poker in his effective range.

#29 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 05:11 PM

I got 3 of them Mastered by now and still using them a lot in CW and quickplay drops. They are some of my favorite mechs right now. They can do just about anything decently but I find I get the best results consistently with laser only builds.

At first I used 6 MPL with ECM and TC1 and skirmished with other mechs and it did decently well even with the short range. Later I went to the 2 LPL + 2 or 3 ERML with ECM and TC1 and CAP combo for mid range poking which helped out on CW matches and long range maps. Most recently though I've been running quad ERLL with ECM, TC1, CAP, and adv zoom and its been a monster, lowest damage match was over 500, had two over 800, in CW I got over 900 damage in my first wave using one and went on to do over 2200 damage on a losing game with two of them and a quad LPL warhawk and an Adder at the end that survived when match timer hit.

I had doubted the quad ERLL would work out that well due to the beam duration, ghost heat, etc but I've been able to get the full burst while avoiding ghost heat beamed right onto people's CTs at over 750m away for max damage and way out to about 1500m to scare people with flashy lights and light damage. It cuts people down and gets kills and damage all match with its range, a real good loadout and I recommend it.

#30 Repasy Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 30 April 2016 - 05:38 PM

The Hellbringer is good if you prefer the electronic equipment it can bring to the fight. Others would prefer the Cauldron-Born for its firepower capabilities. I own both and they are equally valuable chassis, I recommend trying both if possible before committing to a chassis.

#31 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:11 PM

The Hellbringer was actually the Clan heavy that I ended up having to play differently than my other clan heavies. I had gotten so used to heavies that could take a pretty decent pounding before their armor disappeared that the fragility of the Hellbringer was a real shock and I just couldn't do well in it. I finally arrived at a build that worked for me in the form of 6 ER Medium Lasers and 2 LRM10s. I like using LRMs as a side weapon on my clan 'mechs since the size of clan LRMs makes them more reasonable to carry as a side weapon than IS LRMs. The only Clan heavies that I don't have at this point is the Orion IIC and the Ebon Jaguar. I've heard those two are pretty fragile too.

#32 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:14 AM

Ton for ton the Hellbringer is probably the best Clan chassis. ECM, decent heat management, and decent damage potential.
That said the best builds seem to be the ERLL boats, which some can find limiting.

For competitive play metamechs has a great breakdown of the most tonnage efficient chassis in the game and this one is rated #1 there. http://metamechs.com...age-efficiency/
So I'd say give it a shot.

This is my go to in FW. I usually take 3 of them (4 when the weight limit is 260).

#33 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:32 PM

HBRs are the backbone of my FP ClanTech deck. ECM, high mounts, decent speed. I like to take advantage of the free critspace to stack cDHS in the torsos and left arm whenever I can.

Very solid mech. Best for range, poking and firing lines, not the best hitboxes and geometry for brawling.

On builds oriented around cERMLs, unapologetically boat cDHS. It dissipates heat at a rate that's actually helpful. Even with a cERLL or two tosses in, it can still bring 20-something cDHS to the party because of all the free critspace. Great cooling :)

You can also try a Gauss with 4 or 5 mediums (cooldown's okay now), or 2UAC5. Instead of relying on dissipation to make the heat go away faster, you're leaning on the ballistics while running hot.

I like the 4cERLL build. It's fun ;)

HBR's also my best performer. I've still got all my variants from the pack, and it's one of the few I'd consider dupes for, to be able to swap out a couple builds in my dropdeck on the fly instead of rebuilding one between drops and/or losing the maps selection lottery in FP.

#34 operatorZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 556 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:53 PM

View PostBassie, on 16 March 2016 - 03:19 AM, said:

I am considering the hellbringer for my next mech. I was hoping that someone might share a review for how they rate the mech?

I have the timberwolf - reasonably well with it when I run the laser vomit (2LPL and 4 ERML) or brawler (4SRM6 & UAC20) builds, but otherwise I really struggle. It is definitely not my 'best' or 'favourite' mech. Previously, I liked the cataphract and catapults (as in way back before the days of clan and quirks). My favourite mechs currently are the executioner, shadowcat and stormcrow (in that order).

I am worried that the hellbringer will be a bit of a 'light' timberwolf, where I end up using the same builds and playstyle.

I am hoping that rather than this, it has a broader variety of builds and the ecm provides another dimension to the playstyle - I imagine it is a good flanker, and a good long range poker.

My alternative is to splash out and buy a direwolf. However I am reluctant to do so, as I mostly play PUG and think I'll get isolated a lot, and the sheer cost of buying three direwolf chassis.

Your thoughts / opinions?

Many games in them...best build for me is 2 uac5 and 3 med lasers, however I also have done well with 2 uac10's and plenty of ammo. I just strip the arms, they are not important. It's a support mech that works well for peaking due to the ecm. The ballistics being located in the same side torso eliminates convergence problems found in multiple ac builds like the Ebon Jag. Very Tanky.

edit: also 3 Large lasers and plenty O heat sinks, work well for extended range engagements.

Edited by operatorZ, 06 May 2016 - 12:55 PM.

#35 Aleski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 873 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 06 May 2016 - 01:17 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...af502ea4a5fda74

I run something stupid and it works well. Just screw the Meta with that one, people are surprised when they see me in a brawl =)

#36 Arctcwolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:26 PM

ecm makes for great support. in faction, 2x erlrg and 5x ermed seems to work best. have the lrgs on the highest weapon mounts. poke with the lrgs and brawl with the meds. TC1 is most efficient for the bonuses you get, never found a reason to go higher...would need more buffs for me to sacrifice heatsink tonnage.

id gladly pay mc or a crap ton of c-bills to equip it with optional ff or endo...it would open up so many more weapon configs...

#37 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:37 PM

i had the best success with 6 mpl build,regular er medium duration is too long for them to be effective in solo q

faction warfare favors range,gauss + 4 er mediums or 1 lpl 5 ml works like a charm

#38 Palfatreos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 398 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 02:03 AM

View PostAleski, on 06 May 2016 - 01:17 PM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...af502ea4a5fda74

I run something stupid and it works well. Just screw the Meta with that one, people are surprised when they see me in a brawl =)

Don't like SRM on hellbringer the weapon location of both to far away spreading your missils to much.

#39 Zarock

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 111 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:51 AM

Nah, the Ebon Jaguar is the small Timber ^^ The Hellbringer is quite nice, got 3 with:
-2LPL, 3 med Lasers
-Gauss and ... 3 or 4 med lasers, not sure atm
-my favourite: uac20 and 3 med pulse ^^

All in all I dont think you will waste your money :)

#40 Jumping Gigolo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 214 posts
  • LocationAny red light district or above 27,000ft on a mile-high club jet

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:51 AM

You will never go wrong with the HBR.

some credible builds:

1. Gauss + 4xERML + ECM

2. 4x ERLL + ECM

3. 6x MPL + ECM