Help Setting Up An Xbox 360 Controller

7 replies to this topic

#1 Kyp Durron

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:08 AM

I have a wireless receiver for Xbox 360 controller which I have been using for other games and now that I've got a broken leg I'm stuck on the bed for awhile.

I tried to set it up to work in this game but it wasn't working. I had been told that PGI had released full controller support, but I can't seem to get some buttons to register, in particular the triggers.

What needs to be done to use an Xbox 360 controller with MWO?

#2 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts
  • LocationThe soup kitchen in your Prius

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:00 AM

No idea, but how on earth can you play this on an xbox controller? I regularly use 8 buttons on my mouse, not counting torso movements, and more than that on my gamepad.

Edited by Podex, 31 March 2016 - 09:03 AM.

#3 Kyp Durron

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:15 AM

I would have a wireless keyboard near me for some things that weren't pressing in need, but it's a terrible keyboard for playing on.

With the POV hat/direction pad, whatever you feel like calling it, there are 14 buttons and two sticks on the gamepad. That's enough for decent functionality.

#4 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:26 AM

View PostKyp Durron, on 31 March 2016 - 09:15 AM, said:

I would have a wireless keyboard near me for some things that weren't pressing in need, but it's a terrible keyboard for playing on.

With the POV hat/direction pad, whatever you feel like calling it, there are 14 buttons and two sticks on the gamepad. That's enough for decent functionality.

You'll definitely have a leg up on most people using the joystick for movement. I tried the joystick with the G13, and right/left worked great, but acceleration/deceleration became an issue while turning, since it seemed impossible to get 100% in two directions at once. Having to rely on throttle decay sucked, too.

I guess it would work out ok, it just seems a little awkward, but all this thinking is making me want to buy rudder pedals now.

Try searching for "controller", not necessarily for an xbox. You may find something useful there.

#5 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 31 March 2016 - 03:45 PM

View PostPodex, on 31 March 2016 - 09:26 AM, said:

You'll definitely have a leg up on most people using the joystick for movement. I tried the joystick with the G13, and right/left worked great, but acceleration/deceleration became an issue while turning, since it seemed impossible to get 100% in two directions at once. Having to rely on throttle decay sucked, too.

I guess it would work out ok, it just seems a little awkward, but all this thinking is making me want to buy rudder pedals now.

Try searching for "controller", not necessarily for an xbox. You may find something useful there.

Why not just set the up/down stick positions of the G13 to +/- throttle?

#6 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:32 PM

View PostMystere, on 31 March 2016 - 03:45 PM, said:

Why not just set the up/down stick positions of the G13 to +/- throttle?

It doesn't work quite right. The movement area is circular so when you are going 100% forward and then move 100% in another direction, the stick can no longer go all the way up and speed backs off a bit. I remember seeing that someone wrote a program or something to fix the problem, but I didn't try it out. One thing I did do that worked out well was map left and right directions to the stick and kept forward and reverse mapped to keys. It fixed the issue and I was able to avoid using throttle decay. I stopped using it when something funky happened between the G13 and computer causing me to spent an entire match turning around in a circle. It was just a fluke, but it was enough to make me a little gun shy about trying it again.

#7 evilC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:50 AM

I wrote a script to "Square the circle", but I cannot seem to find it any more. I could write it again but to be honest you are flogging a dead horse - trying to control steering and speed on one stick (especially on one with such a small range of motion as an xbox controller) is very impractical.

Apart from the circular range of motion issue, you get "Bleed-through": When you try to turn, you invariably change speed a bit, when you try to change speed, you turn a bit.

#8 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 05:43 AM

View PostevilC, on 07 April 2016 - 03:50 AM, said:

I wrote a script to "Square the circle", but I cannot seem to find it any more. I could write it again but to be honest you are flogging a dead horse - trying to control steering and speed on one stick (especially on one with such a small range of motion as an xbox controller) is very impractical.

Apart from the circular range of motion issue, you get "Bleed-through": When you try to turn, you invariably change speed a bit, when you try to change speed, you turn a bit.

These are the reasons why I mapped 'A' and 'D' to the thumbstick and kept everything else mapped to keys. Forward and reverse made things difficult since my mech couldn't change speed without throwing my aim out whack. The Y axis control needs to be completely separate than the X axis, which is relatively impossible on one controller.

I wound up giving up on the whole idea since keys just worked better in most cases.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users