42 replies to this topic

#1 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 02:54 PM

Not the mode...I get that. It's OK.

But which cruel and socially maladjusted PGI employee decided to put the circle right smack in the middle of the Caldera on Terrible Thermos?

In serious contention for the least popular map in the game, precisely because of the huge "feature", aka the noob grinder, in the middle and some sadistic b@st*rd at PGI decides to rub our faces in it.

Seriously? That is approaching "Kanye West" level of annoying.

#2 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 03:30 PM

Domination, she is a cruel mistress.

#3 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 17 March 2016 - 03:34 PM

lol people voted for Terrible Therma ?

I can't even get a game on the new map Grim potty training or whatever its name is

Edited by Cathy, 17 March 2016 - 03:34 PM.

#4 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 03:34 PM

Have not played it on that map yet.. but does not sound good. Personally i think the Domination point should have many locations, and it should spawn in different places. Like on river city, put it in the back of the air field, or the citadel, or lower city, or upper city for example.. To account for travel times, perhaps make the domination ring only go active after 3 mins have passed..

Terra has lots of great places to fight outside of the middle.. as do many maps

#5 Zibmo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 488 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 05:36 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 17 March 2016 - 03:34 PM, said:

Have not played it on that map yet.. but does not sound good. Personally i think the Domination point should have many locations, and it should spawn in different places. Like on river city, put it in the back of the air field, or the citadel, or lower city, or upper city for example.. To account for travel times, perhaps make the domination ring only go active after 3 mins have passed..

Terra has lots of great places to fight outside of the middle.. as do many maps

Personally, I think Domination should never be picked. If you put it on the best map in the game, it would be terrible.

#6 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 17 March 2016 - 05:44 PM

So many missed opportunities to encourage play on lesser used parts of maps. Instead, it just exacerbates the already problem areas of every map. They really need to add varied spawn points for players and objectives so that even playing on the same map can add a little variety. Such a simple thing that would add so much

#7 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,980 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 March 2016 - 05:49 PM

Domination is everything I hate about MWO.

Namely, king of the hill nascar bulldozing.

Throwing yourself at the enemy, forcing yourselves into a bad position "because you have to", and never being prepared for it.

Edited by Mister D, 17 March 2016 - 05:56 PM.

#8 YakkSlapper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 175 posts
  • Locationoregon city

Posted 17 March 2016 - 05:59 PM

sigh, just do it like unreal tournament did it, 3 "power spots" control 2 of 3 to start a short countdown was what 5 sec? then get one 'point' (I KNOW unreal tourny rules wont work here as IF i remember right, all you needed to do was then after get a point or so, STOP other team from getting 5 sec count on 2x of them, or was it takes 5 sec of holding it to start timer? no matter really ,,,

also, lets do it 3 power spots 2x MUST be under your teams control to activate countdown, if control all 3, timer countdown +25% speed (to timer to make faster) *make/adjust/fidget with take over conditions as needed OR,,, make it each round to take over a spot, only "X" class mech can acquire power spots, and its random which weight class for each new round

#9 Groovdog

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 76 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI

Posted 17 March 2016 - 06:01 PM

Frankly dont think the point so go live until at least 1min the game (and this should vary by time). It is stupid that one team can spawn lights and get 30-50 sec advantage based on the MM and spawn side.

#10 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 06:45 PM

View PostGroovdog, on 17 March 2016 - 06:01 PM, said:

Frankly dont think the point so go live until at least 1min the game (and this should vary by time). It is stupid that one team can spawn lights and get 30-50 sec advantage based on the MM and spawn side.

Neat idea. With random point locations this could actually make the mode more interesting

#11 SplashDown

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 399 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 06:53 PM

View PostZibmo, on 17 March 2016 - 05:36 PM, said:

Personally, I think Domination should never be picked. If you put it on the best map in the game, it would be terrible.

perhaps but its still better than conquest which is now the worst mode in game imo

#12 Accused

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 989 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 07:07 PM

Yeah random capture point would be best. Could plop one down where ever as long as it's equally far away from both teams. Even then you could spawn both teams really close to each other while they fight/race towards the objective. Just lots of ideas and no follow through.

#13 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 07:09 PM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 17 March 2016 - 05:44 PM, said:

So many missed opportunities to encourage play on lesser used parts of maps. Instead, it just exacerbates the already problem areas of every map. They really need to add varied spawn points for players and objectives so that even playing on the same map can add a little variety. Such a simple thing that would add so much

Totally agree.. And i do think they are listening.. It really seams like they are at a point in time, that they are working on game play aspects..

the time line.. for those that don't know

game founded with IGP.. made a base game, a few maps, basic GUI, sold mechs for two years and worked on the base game mechanics..

PGI took over, and the game has really made a ton of strides., Quirks hit, CW1 in the first 6 months, art team adding mechs, improving art

then the programmers working on back end, GUI, and engine, VOIP modular design, ect, art team adding mechs, improving art

then quirks two, more maps.. more mechs CW2

Which brings us to the last year 9+ months, more maps, classic mechs, and leading into the CW3, gameplay modes, and the much awaited/needed rescale..

So right now with such a focus on long standing bugs, and balance issues, that have been coming down the pipe, and a big push for game modes.. I think they have a record of actually taking feed back and going with it when they are working on that project at the time. AKA mech lab, and paint.. adding the Owned tab, soon after launching it, all from feedback. A bunch of other things i can think of that have been suggested for a long time, are making it into game. (even the simple remembering the way you had your windows opened on the mech lab finally sneaked into this patch..

don't give up hope! Posted Image

I don't think people give them enough credit at how far this game has come in the last 2 years, working on 3 now that they took over.

Im very looking forward to the new CW3, and rescale... i think that will be the largest step in the right direction the game has made in probably the last 3 years, outside of the first when they completely revamped the entire back along with the user GUI.. Good times!

Edited by JC Daxion, 17 March 2016 - 07:10 PM.

#14 William Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • 103 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 07:32 PM

Domination? Do you mean the new game mode where you win by dominating the enemy team and destroying all their 'Mechs?

Is that like assault, where you win by assaulting the enemy team and destroying all their 'Mechs? Or maybe conquest, where you win by conquering the enemy team and destroying all their 'Mechs (most of the time)?

#15 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 07:48 PM

View PostTLBFestus, on 17 March 2016 - 02:54 PM, said:

But which cruel and socially maladjusted PGI employee decided to put the circle right smack in the middle of the Caldera on Terrible Thermos?

At least that's fair. Derpy, but fair.

On River City the team that spawns on the East side is basically given the citadel (which is in the middle of the circle), and the team that spawns on the West side has to cross open water to contest the circle. The potato on my kitchen counter could have seen that that wasn't going to be balanced.

#16 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 08:14 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 17 March 2016 - 07:09 PM, said:

Totally agree.. And i do think they are listening.. It really seams like they are at a point in time, that they are working on game play aspects..

I work at a small games company. The pace that PGI moves at is glacially slow compared to what we work on. If they were really trying they'd have a heck of a lot more done by now. I think they're desperately short on technical staff and competent management.

#17 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 17 March 2016 - 08:19 PM

I love all my targets in one nice heap.
Oh and Archers just blow.
Posted Image

#18 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 08:41 PM

Terra Therma is just a test of guts. The team that pushes hardest center the fastest wins 99% of the time.

There is always the guys on each team who say "Don't go center! You'll get crushed!"

Why would they get crushed? Oh, right. The other team goes center hard and rolls face.

So it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. The people who lack the confidence to push hard and drive a win sandbag and ensure a loss. Go in, die gloriously, set your team up for a win.

I love Terra Therma. It's a test for who has the brassiest balls. Who knows high central location with choke points and clear fire lanes is best spot, goes in and effin' TAKES IT, and who has a list of excuses for why the can't or shouldn't.

#19 Mad Strike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLima , Peru

Posted 17 March 2016 - 08:45 PM

People voting domination and terra therma says the contrary.

I like both things.

#20 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 17 March 2016 - 11:46 PM

View PostTLBFestus, on 17 March 2016 - 02:54 PM, said:

Seriously? That is approaching "Kanye West" level of annoying.

Posted Image

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users