41 replies to this topic

#21 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 08:17 PM

View PostBoogie138, on 17 March 2016 - 04:27 PM, said:

And yes, a lot of vets and top tier players have alt accounts to go baby seal clubbing in the lower tiers.

I dunno if a lot of them do it. but some do. Me personally, i just wanted a clan only account, to pair with my IS only account.. it doesn't take to long to get to T3 if ya know how to play. The player could of also dropped with a tier 3 player. I've seen many good T3 players.

I do wonder if the OP actually saw the load out on the mech, Or if he just saw what weapons hit him at the end of the game. Because that could of been two mechs hitting him as well.

Edited by JC Daxion, 17 March 2016 - 08:18 PM.

#22 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 17 March 2016 - 10:44 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 17 March 2016 - 08:17 PM, said:

I dunno if a lot of them do it. but some do. Me personally, i just wanted a clan only account, to pair with my IS only account.. it doesn't take to long to get to T3 if ya know how to play. The player could of also dropped with a tier 3 player. I've seen many good T3 players.

I do wonder if the OP actually saw the load out on the mech, Or if he just saw what weapons hit him at the end of the game. Because that could of been two mechs hitting him as well.

I hit t4 in 6 matches... still low enough to put me with T5s and pretend I was god.
Plus if you tier up too far you can always create a new account.

Plus there are a fair amount of very good players that are low tier because they do not play a lot OR mostly play CW.

#23 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 18 March 2016 - 12:33 AM

View Postx MT x, on 17 March 2016 - 07:35 PM, said:

Torso Armor (front/back) ratio should be around 10:1

As a Light Mech pilot who loves quickly killing Mechs through their minimal rear armor I endorse that suggestion so I can get more easy kills.

More armor on the front and less on the back will better protect you from heavy and assault Mechs in a head to head confrontation but it makes you more vulnerable to flanking attacks from fast Mechs.

#24 Spacedman

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:41 PM

Right. So I will just give it up then. I do not have the time to get good at this game. Respect.

#25 Tickdoff Tank

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:40 PM

View PostSpacedman, on 18 March 2016 - 02:41 PM, said:

Right. So I will just give it up then. I do not have the time to get good at this game. Respect.

I think you are taking this a bit too hard. To wax philosophical, "Sometimes you are the windshield, other times you are the bug."

Most of us do not think there were any "shenanigans" going on, you got hit hard by a (possibly) good player, who then had a good game. Is it possible that something nefarious was going on? Yes. But it is unlikely.

None of that should lead you to giving up the game already. Even good players get caught with their pants down some times, and sometimes the other team is just on a roll. If you keep playing (and I think you should), you will find yourself on the good side of the avalanche quite a bit as well, and you may even see someone asking if you were "cheating" when you pull off a particularly nice shot.

TL/DR: Keep at it. Cheating is rare in this game. The learning curve is steep. You will get better, but only if you keep playing.

#26 KaitRaven

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:38 PM

Do not have time...? If you don't enjoy the game and don't enjoy the challenge, then its time to find another game. Don't know what you were expecting exactly.

#27 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 19 March 2016 - 02:24 AM

View PostKaitRaven, on 18 March 2016 - 04:38 PM, said:

Do not have time...? If you don't enjoy the game and don't enjoy the challenge, then its time to find another game. Don't know what you were expecting exactly.

This.

The game has been out for quite a while and has a steep and somewhat unique learning curve. Nobody steps into this game and ends up a bona fide expert overnight.

#28 Spacedman

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 10:33 AM

It is the research on builds. The time it takes to learn. Also, I have been stuck at the very last bit of tier 5 since I started playing months ago. After 60 or so matches, you would think I would make tier 4.

In contrast, I am usually one of the best BF4 players in any given server. So I can play but may just not have the patience for this game. I want to play competition level like I used to in bf. At the rate I am going, it might be another 4 years before I hit tier 3.

So yeah. If I am this bad, no reason to continue. I guess it just comes down to wtf does it take to get out of tier 5 and see some progress? Frustrating.

#29 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 19 March 2016 - 10:51 AM

View PostSpacedman, on 19 March 2016 - 10:33 AM, said:

It is the research on builds. The time it takes to learn.....

...I want to play competition level like I used to in bf...

Hard to be the best when you don't want to put in the time.

If you want to increase your PSR the most important thing is the team winning, next most important is scoring at least 250 points. If you hit 250 and lose the match your PSR won't drop, anything lower and it probably will.

Just need to realize that no other game plays like MW does, picking up the nuances of piloting a mech takes time. Take it one match at a time and analyze what you did well and what went wrong.

Finding a group to play with might help too.

Edited by Roughneck45, 19 March 2016 - 10:57 AM.

#30 p4r4g0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 19 March 2016 - 05:06 PM

Why are you so focused on the PSR?

If you want to play competition level and you have the reflexes, internet latency and computer for it, you should be hooking up with the units that participate in competitions and learn what it takes to perform in a competitive match. On top of that, you will learn a heck of a lot faster playing with them.

All you will learn playing in public queue is mostly unsuitable for competitive play.

Edit: If the PSR number is that important to you, just do two things - do a shitload of damage i.e. more than 500 per match and stay alive if possible. Just doing the first will guarantee will guarantee that you will never drop in PSR as a 250 match score in a loss equals no change in PSR. However, that also means you need to learn decent builds that can put out that kind of damage.

Edit2: Downsides of this kind of focus is usually burning out on the game within 6 months to a year.

Edited by p4r4g0n, 19 March 2016 - 05:14 PM.

#31 Solarise

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 07:23 PM

Its very easy to cored enemy in tier5 i think.

#32 Captain Alt F4

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 65 posts
  • LocationDesktop

Posted 19 March 2016 - 07:53 PM

View PostSpacedman, on 17 March 2016 - 03:45 PM, said:

Not sure how to report suspicious players here but he sure wiped out our entire team by himself. Cored my mauler in 4 shots total. That was all of the damage I took.

My Direwolf can do 50 PPFLD to a single location with 2 gauss amd 2 ERPPCs. The other 10 from the ppcs goes to other locations. I also have 2 erml at 14 dmg. That's 74 points of damage available in a salvo. If you didn't torso twist, and I'm inside 400 meters I could probably kill you in 2 salvos. Killing you in 4 is not a problem assuming I can hit where I want.

Assuming your team mates are badly beat up, killing them in a minute when combined with arty strike is possible... but the rest of my team would have to be doing nix.

Oh and at 60 matches you ain't even started MWO. This is my alt account. When I started this account, tearing up the tier 5 and 4 players was not an issue. But even then it took more than 60 matches to get out of tier 4 and I've been playing for 2 years on my main account. So for someone starting out I'd expect it to take longer unless you are just natural at MWO.

Keep at it, don't give up. Its a great game. Join a unit, and remember to have fun. Think about what you do each match - quite often you can pinpoint just where you went wrong, and this helps you avoid mistakes in the future.

Edited by Captain Alt F4, 19 March 2016 - 08:00 PM.

#33 Vlad Striker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 20 March 2016 - 02:14 PM

Go for the eyes, Boo! Mauler is best to hit cockpits. So when you hit cockpit enemy becomes disoriented and probably dyes quick. But don't hit MY cockpit! :D

#34 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 05:33 PM

It is the research on builds. The time it takes to learn. Also, I have been stuck at the very last bit of tier 5 since I started playing months ago. After 60 or so matches, you would think I would make tier 4.

In contrast, I am usually one of the best BF4 players in any given server. So I can play but may just not have the patience for this game. I want to play competition level like I used to in bf. At the rate I am going, it might be another 4 years before I hit tier 3.

So yeah. If I am this bad, no reason to continue. I guess it just comes down to wtf does it take to get out of tier 5 and see some progress? Frustrating.

being good at one game, does not mean you will magically be good in another,. BF4 and this are Night and Day.. 60 matches in a month and you think you should be good, there are guys that play that in a day, or 2..

if your 60 in, and still not out of 5, it's because you have a lot to learn still. This is not a bad thing.. Took me 100's of matches before i got anywhere near decent, as this is the only shooter i actually play. the typical shooter bores me to tears. I think i was probably 600+ matches in before i even broke 1.0 KDR in any mech, and i was a mech 3 and 4 vet.. But honestly, i don't know any pvp only game that is just easy to be awesome. Any that i have played over the years took me a very long time before i stopped getting stomped

heck to me 60 matches isn't even enough to spend in a single weight class, to even know if you are going to be good in it. Not to mention playing an assault, which outside of lights are the hardest mechs to actually be good in.

Wanna get good?

Go into practice grounds, and play 5 matches on each map, and kill all the mechs. Do this while circiling around them, practice dodging pretend fire..

Practice twisting away then back to reaquire target, and keep hitting in the same location..

Practice taking out a side torso with the fewest shots,,

learn how heat systems work, learn to keep on the fire power, while also managing heat..

try legging mechs, or hitting their arms.. Often in a circle brawl, legging or taking out an arm is the best option, as you can hit them from many angles, not just a limited to when you are in front, or back.

You can also learn the maps, which is a huge boost to being good.

This game is very deep.. knowing how weapon systems work, cool downs, how and when to alpha, how to chain fire.. there is so much. This game is not point and click and die.. Unless the person doesn't know how to play.

You are right, if you don't wanna spend the time you won't get good.. But if you do wanna spend some time.. I suggest a weekend of playing on testing grounds.. you WIll get better if you do the things i said..

Good luck..

Edited by JC Daxion, 20 March 2016 - 05:37 PM.

#35 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 07:51 PM

All good advice JC. I will only add this: watch some of the high-level players. Either on stream or on the tubes. Watch when they advance into a fight and when they retreat, in what 'mech and against what 'mech/s. Watch how they position, how they approach a fight and when they break off. Do they just wade in or do they skirt and poke. Also watch their mini-map. Where is their team when they do this.

Sean Lang from NGNG is a good one to start with. He's not super-high level skill (he's certainly no slouch) but he talks a lot so you get an idea about what he's trying to do. Watching Proton or Slummy or whoever is all well and good, they're amazing players, but you don't get the same insight into what they're trying to achieve until you know much more about how the game is played.

Hopefully you stick around. Good luck.

#36 The Mecha Streisand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 245 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:22 PM

Part (and a big one) of this game's popularity come from a group of 40-ish year old men like me, who used to stand around a dinner table with hexagon-cluttered maps, cardboard miniature mechs, pairs of 'lucky' six-sided dice, sheets of paper, and really nothing to win or lose. And DAMN was it fun!

Some folks got to play the other Mechwarrior titles along the way. I missed that train. It's biting me in the backside today, after well over three years of MWO. Some folks knew nothing about the decades of history until they saw MWO on Steam a couple days ago and said, "Sure, why not".

It's more World-of-Tanks than anything, but with a pyramid scheme for mechs (IRL $$$) and still no real P2W justification. It's got a SEVERELY steep learning curve. And it is badly slanted against those of us whose first online competitive experiences were in tactical (-ish, in the case of the BF series) FPS games. (I'm a Ghost Recon reject, in case you're wondering. When my clan left TCZ's 5v5 ladder, and then the annual Alpha Squad tourney kinda went away, and GR:AW came out, and so forth, well we kinda migrated to a BF2 Infantry-only league for a short while, hated it, and just kinda drifted apart. Health-o-meters? Insta-revives and insta-heals? Grunt combat engineers being able to fly advanced fighter aircraft? It's all a bit much, really, for those of us who KNOW that a single bullet wound is, for the vast majority of humans ever, pretty much a show-stopper for their participation in a firefight, at least for the next month or two.)

BIG MESSAGE? There's a LOT to learn, and it's a STEEP curve. But it's REWARDING A. F. to climb that curve and start to feel like you're getting a grip on the game. There's obviously SOMETHING that drew you to MWO. So stick it out for a while. Play casual for a while, maybe find a team to take you on as a casual and help you out with some constructive criticism, and you may just wind up a Tier 1 tryhard before you even realize it. Or at the very least, like me, you'll find yourself enjoying the game IMMENSELY.

I hope you do. If you've got the fast-twitch skills and situational awareness to do well in BF games, then you're a BIG step above a lot of our new players already. Really. Give it some time, please.

#37 Spacedman

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 02:41 PM

Oh. Forgot to mention that I played the first Mechwarrior on my x386. Just slowing down and not playing like its an fps helps. I have been first in the game the last 4 matches and average 2-4 kills and around 1000 damage. The tier 5 meter still has not budged but whatever. I am being weighed down by my past performance.

#38 Inveramsay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationStar's End

Posted 22 March 2016 - 11:04 PM

View PostSpacedman, on 22 March 2016 - 02:41 PM, said:

Oh. Forgot to mention that I played the first Mechwarrior on my x386. Just slowing down and not playing like its an fps helps. I have been first in the game the last 4 matches and average 2-4 kills and around 1000 damage. The tier 5 meter still has not budged but whatever. I am being weighed down by my past performance.

If that is the case and you haven't spent any money on your account yet. Why not start a new one? I opened up my alt account a while back which I played the 25 cadet matches on a very long time ago. So long ago that the cadet bonus stacked with premium time and PSR was only a twinkly in Russ' eye. This account started off in tier 4 (which was the starting tier before steam launch) and within one decent match in a Banshee trial I was well in to tier 3. People who have picked up alts now say the same thing but it takes some more matches to break out of tier 4. The first 10 or so matches seem to be the most crucial.

Do however bear in mind that coming in to tier 3 will let you see massively better players who are also far better equipped than the guys you are facing at the moment.. Tier 3 means that you will be death incarnate* in one match and cannon fodder* in the next depending on what the tier spread is.

*slight exaggeration

#39 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 22 March 2016 - 11:53 PM

Starting a new account once you get your legs under you is never a bad idea.

#40 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 06:22 AM

Just killed some 4 'Mechs. In a Mauler.
Posted Image
o.O;
With a red core!

Also: Awesome moment...
Spoiler

Double kill! O_O!

Edited by Koniving, 23 March 2016 - 06:57 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users