A Possible Fix For Conquest

6 replies to this topic

#1 TTDeadsayer

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 11:34 AM

I posted this in another thread and realized I might be onto something, so I brought it here.

If they want to encourage people to cap, then the pay in C-Bills for winning by capping 750 resources should be significantly higher than winning by wiping out the enemy team. Not only would people be more inclined to win by capping because there would be a lot more money involved, it could even support the whole mercenary units theme of BattleTech where the unit captures the resources and sells them, thereby splitting the profits among the members, hence the higher C-Bill reward for winning by capping. Though the same could be said for wiping out the enemy team (you still technically win the resources) this has the added benefit of encouraging people to cap. Perhaps the bonus for winning by capping could even get bigger for every member of the winning team still alive when it reaches 750. Not only would that encourage capping, but it would also discourage fighting to a degree. Fighting would obviously have to happen to some level, but with everyone trying that much harder to stay alive, there would be a slight de-emphasis on fighting which would only promote capping that much more. Then the whole dynamic of the match would change if one team's cap score became too high to surpass, the losing team's objective would become not to win, but to kill as many of the winning team as possible to reduce their reward. To go even further toward encouraging people to stay alive is the possible promise of an even bigger reward should the team manage to cap 750 resources without losing a single man. This might even bring about whole new ways of designing mech builds.

Discuss.

Edited by TTDeadsayer, 19 March 2016 - 11:35 AM.

#2 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 20 March 2016 - 05:19 AM

The need to cap out is ridiculous now. People can deathball as always and then scramble for caps after.

I feel there should be a mercy rule contingency:

You can'take win unail enemy has no caps if they are all dead. Victory is assured, why drag it out? Now sure if you win on caps you get a bigger bonus still, I am fine with that.

#3 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 05:30 AM

i've been saying this for a long time, but PGI has weird ideas about game design. As long as wiping a team and losing earns more than winning with no kills, I'll continue to kill mechs in Conquest.

Even if they introduced the win bounty, it's still a band aid fix for a pointless game mode. An objective in a shooter needs to give people reason to fight. Running around standing in glowing circles, even if they earn you 200k CBills, make for a mighty boring game mode.

#4 Azurhoden

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 57 posts
  • LocationWestern U.S.

Posted 20 March 2016 - 02:33 PM

But it's not a "shooter", or at least it wasn't until PGI got their hands on it. It is now, slowly becoming Counterstrike with torso twist, and there is nothing fun about that. Additionally the more PGI panders to the CoD/Counterstrike type of LCD player, the worse this game is going to get.
It's not supposed to be about the killing, but rather about the taking. I will come to your world and take its resources and materials, and I've brought a bunch of 50 foot tall machines to do that with. If slaughter was all I was interested in, I can do that from orbit with a missile, or hell, just a big rock would do the trick. No need to employ battlemechs for that. So then the point is this: Conquest is NOT useless, if anything, it is closer to what this game has always been (and should be) about. OBJECTIVES. If you go out onto the battlefield with the sole intention of slaughtering everything else on the other side of the battle, then you should lose everytime... without exception. Genocide is stupid and so are the players who find that kind of thing to be "fun". Please don't pander to stupid people, its embarrassing.

Live and Learn or You don't Live long

#5 TTDeadsayer

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:48 PM

View PostAzurhoden, on 20 March 2016 - 02:33 PM, said:

But it's not a "shooter", or at least it wasn't until PGI got their hands on it. It is now, slowly becoming Counterstrike with torso twist, and there is nothing fun about that. Additionally the more PGI panders to the CoD/Counterstrike type of LCD player, the worse this game is going to get.
It's not supposed to be about the killing, but rather about the taking. I will come to your world and take its resources and materials, and I've brought a bunch of 50 foot tall machines to do that with. If slaughter was all I was interested in, I can do that from orbit with a missile, or hell, just a big rock would do the trick. No need to employ battlemechs for that. So then the point is this: Conquest is NOT useless, if anything, it is closer to what this game has always been (and should be) about. OBJECTIVES. If you go out onto the battlefield with the sole intention of slaughtering everything else on the other side of the battle, then you should lose everytime... without exception. Genocide is stupid and so are the players who find that kind of thing to be "fun". Please don't pander to stupid people, its embarrassing.

Live and Learn or You don't Live long
I liked the idea you had in another thread about the cap points being destructible. If you added that to what I've outlined above, having the match end in a draw if all the of the cap points become destroyed, as the entire match becomes irrelevant if that happens, would do wonders for encouraging capping.

#6 VinJade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 07:06 PM

I think they should make it truly worth the player's time to capture, like higher amount of C-bills spread across the team with the players actually doing the capture gaining much more for their role as the ones capturing.

it would give Lights back their true role of scouting/raiding while the heavier allies offer support for their lighter comrades by keeping them busy which would also mean it would give lights a reason to go directly after the enemy lights to try and slow down the cap while their allies who are slower are busy dealing with their buddies.

I know this would make lights want to run ahead more than what they do now but it would also force them to think, 'do I want to go for the cap or do I want to try and remove the other side's lights?'

#7 SoulReaver7500

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 10:36 PM

All games are Skirmish, you forced me into your games, I am bringing mine with me and you can suffer for it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users