It is a funny build, though. :3

#22 4ries

• PipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 79 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 04 June 2016 - 03:29 AM

Yea, its kinda fun the direstar. Go and watch the Direstar video from theb33f. he also has made a video about the 15 erll or 15 LL direwolf... Its called the laserdrill...

And no, I have no assault mechs whatsoever...

#23 lazytopaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 316 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 04 June 2016 - 05:29 AM

View PostMadHornet, on 19 March 2016 - 12:13 PM, said:

Although seen as impractical, unhelpful, or generally stupid, I think they can play an essential role in winning a match.

You've all seen it, the 11 ppc direwolf. This is an ambusher and the ultimate punisher for peeking. Only two salvos before it explodes. An alternative is 15 er large lasers, but that's just cheese. An eye for a eye, literally.

Personally I think glass cannon builds lie in brawler builds. A berserker like the Atlas is entirely different, because in this case the alpha damage needs to be unusually high for its weight, so much so that you are forced to remove armor in places that you'd rather not.

I take a Centurion AH(L) with this build:

CN9-AH

Lack of ammo forces the player to use it sparingly. This build works astonishingly well supporting assault units as it boasts equivalent firepower with a decent speed. This 'mech, on most occasions, can be used to simply take the enemy by surprise and down up to 4 'mechs before falling apart. This doesn't mean you will. Often you will take down only two, but make them count. Hit the assaults early on to crit them so they are rendered easy targets, or destroy them then and there. You don't always need to attack the assaults and heavies. If you find yourself unable to help with that due to range issues or bad positions, attacking lights and mediums can help as well. Lights often go down in a single alpha to the side, and mediums two alphas to the center. I have killed two shadowcats by myself.

The high amount of frontal armor is an obvious choice. There is no such thing as running away in this 'mech. The majority of matches you will not be alive at the end. If you find yourself flanked, do as much damage as you can. Several crit/dead 'mechs versus one dead you can be game changer.

Although you are charging the enemy, just make sure to torso twist and spread damage in your reload time, and quickly repeat until enemy is dead. Get the maximum out of your armor.

Lastly and arguably the most fun way to play this 'mech is ambushing. It can be difficult because you are not THAT fast, and you don't have ECM. Rounding corners and waiting until the enemy decides to push can take out a few 'mechs that would otherwise destroy the part of your team near you. And as a treat, you can send 58.7 damage straight into their rear armor. Depending on a players preference regarding rear armor, you can sometimes find one well placed alpha can kill and 85 tonner from behind.

Again, there is NO running away. Take every good opportunity to do damage until the end.

Here I've fixed it for you.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...04402e4b8a5e2a1

Srms 6 w/o artemis work only in face lenght, unless you like to have some missles flying over/around your target and hitting ground/air when you shoot them in 200-270 range. Srms 4 are way more effective without Aretmis, shorter cooldown, your spread is better, and you have more tonnage to put some additional armour on your shield arm and some more ammo overally. Bcs 14 shots on AC20... not enough IMO since it is your main big puncher. Srms are for brawling and finishing off, ya aint using it much up until brawl/mid game phase ensues, Centurion is the guy who sweeps the battlefield and ends cored mechs/takes care of the lights that annoy your assaults/heavies.

#24 Nullmancer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 194 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 05:13 PM

while it could be called a glass cannon, the locust is far too effective to be on this esteemed list of stupid but powerful builds

#25 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:23 PM

No one is going to bring up the AC/20 Raven?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...17fceeb555ae996

#26 4ries

• PipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 79 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:51 AM

My favourite mechs are the urbie's... My preferred load out for them are 1 ac2 and 2 mediumlasers (R60) or 1 ac2 and 3 medium lasers (R63 and R60L).

You should try 'em.

#27 IQcreditscore

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:46 PM

glass cannon..............

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bb8ff85b4174887

#28 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 03:03 AM

View PostKoniving, on 19 March 2016 - 04:45 PM, said:

View PostAleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, on 19 March 2016 - 04:44 PM, said:

View PostKoniving, on 19 March 2016 - 04:39 PM, said:

Posted Image
How is this build?

Love it... But i think it needs better Yaw rate quirks!

I agree, it does look like it would have turning issues.

LOL!!! Too Funny!!! :lol:

Seriously, though... As nice as it looks, I don't think you would ever want to actually fire it. It would never look so good again. :(

View PostFLINTCOIN, on 08 June 2016 - 10:46 PM, said:

glass cannon..............

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bb8ff85b4174887

Uhm... That's not even a "glass cannon", in my opinion. That's a cannon with the internals open already, and the weapon's force doesn't go in the right direction. It would die before it could do anything. :P

~D. V. "Just a couple things that caught my attention..." Devnull

[Edit by author for a missed thought.]

Edited by D V Devnull, 09 June 2016 - 03:04 AM.

#29 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 09 June 2016 - 03:56 AM

I think this (3xGauss Ilya) was the first MWO real glass cannon, the first mech to actually be enough glass and enough cannon. The more ammo you want to put, the less armor you have and after the implementation of Gauss rifle explosions this thing literally explodes itself as soon as you touch it.

I also like this guy. Actually got killed by one once long time ago, back in the day when AC40 Jagers were still a thing. Targeted a mech nearby, saw dual 20s, thought it was a Jager. But then thoughts started coming 1 by 1 ... Why is it so small? Why is it so fast?? WHY THE FK IT JUMPED JUST NOW???

Apart from that there are actually viable builds that can be called glass cannons, for example pretty much any IS medium/heavy running XL and a Gauss in a torso.

Edited by PhoenixFire55, 09 June 2016 - 04:22 AM.

#30 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 04:12 AM

ahhh....the good old days when you could fire 3 gauss together

#31 IQcreditscore

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:41 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 09 June 2016 - 03:03 AM, said:

LOL!!! Too Funny!!! Posted Image

Seriously, though... As nice as it looks, I don't think you would ever want to actually fire it. It would never look so good again. Posted Image

Uhm... That's not even a "glass cannon", in my opinion. That's a cannon with the internals open already, and the weapon's force doesn't go in the right direction. It would die before it could do anything. Posted Image

~D. V. "Just a couple things that caught my attention..." Devnull

[Edit by author for a missed thought.]

That is the definition of a glass canon though sorry. Just like the direstar or laser drill. One and done/shutdown or melted and sacrificing armor for weaps.

#32 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:22 AM

I proudly present you the shotgun Spider

And the most expensive Curb you ever stomped

Edited by The Basilisk, 09 June 2016 - 07:53 AM.

#33 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:38 AM

Wouldn't this accomplish the same thing better?
Shotgun-SDR-5K

#34 Myj

• PipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 47 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationColorado

Posted 09 June 2016 - 11:24 AM

I personally think Kodiaks are complete glass cannons no matter what you do. They all do a ton of damage and die instantly upon engaging them. And lots of people think they're overpowered, so I guess glass cannons can definitely be amazing in the right hands.

Edited by Myj, 09 June 2016 - 11:25 AM.

#35 D V Devnull

• 4,299 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:58 AM

View PostMyj, on 09 June 2016 - 11:24 AM, said:

They all do a ton of damage and die instantly upon engaging them.

Uhm... what? I sneak up, hit them with a 46 Alpha in the back, and they don't crumble! They don't die instantly, like you might think. <_<

~D. V. "Uhm... nah." Devnull

#36 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 10 June 2016 - 09:36 AM

View PostAleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, on 19 March 2016 - 12:17 PM, said:

Ac40 cicada? Or maybe dual gauss cicada?

Yeah, the Boomcada was a fun one. Especially on Frozen City on Assault...just hide out near your base...wait for the inevitable Light to come and try to cap...POW.

There's others, but they're not really useable - the Boomcada was (barely). For example:

BLR-1G

#37 Karl the Plumber

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:51 PM

She's not quite glass, but she's short enough range that sometimes that's what it feels like:
Vamp WHM-6R

Edited by Karl the Plumber, 10 June 2016 - 06:52 PM.

#38 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:02 PM

my favorite glass cannon builds are the 3m cda with 1erll, 1 uac5, 3 small lasers and a ecm. with 2.5 tons of ammo.
i have so little armor in this one that i have been one shot several times, but it's still good because if i remember to use the ecm i can avoid getting shot for quite a while. it's a useful mech. i even took it to CW and it did well.

another glass cannon i have is the dragon 3c with 4 LL. very little armor as well but i only peek left with it and hide immediately. another very useful mech.

now, i would say the stock nova prime is a glass cannon because it has 12 er med lasers... and it's slow.
even with full armor it's basically not enough armor. but i still love that mech/build. i think it's great.

#39 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 14 June 2016 - 06:33 PM

A Cicada 'brawler'.

I believe it was Terciel that call Cicadas 'Catchers mitts', which is a good description.

Speed. Alpha of 46 up close.

And sh*tboxes.

Have fun.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users