Starting mechs for Non-founders

18 replies to this topic

#1 Gnmish

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:56 AM

Ok we've all been talking about founders mechs, variants, customization etc etc, but I've yet to see anything (official or forum gossip) regarding which mechs non-founders will be starting on.

I guess it would make sense to give new players 1 free mech for a list of the cheaper available (covering all roles) or, as done in other F2P unlock games, have a list of free mechs for a particular week, so that newbies get a chance to try the more expensive mechs before they commit to buying one.

Has anyone heard anything specific about the plans for this?

(As a founder I'm not losing any sleep over this, but I have a whole bunch of friends I am trying to convince to play)

#2 Thorgar Wulfson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • LocationConcordia, KS

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:03 AM

I am just guessing but i think youll start with a sum of C-bills and then purchase the mech you want. lighter mechs will allow for purchase plus cutomization with funds left over. while assaults will strip thier funds and allow no customization or much repairs till you earn more C-bills.

Just speculation but it makes sense from what ive read and seen.

#3 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:03 AM

The only difference between the Founder starter Mech and the free players' starter Mech is the skin and the C-Bill boost. We'll be choosing from the exact same pool of four Prime variants that you guys are.

After that, all variants are bought from the shop for C-Bills... and outside of the C-Bill boost, you may find that your Prime variant isn't as exciting as you thought it would be.

#4 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:12 AM

The starting 'Mechs you will choose from are determined by the role you choose at start. For instance, it is unlikely that the Scout/Recon role will allow anything heavier than a medium 'Mech to be chosen. The Attack/Defense roles will likely be at the heavy and assault end of the pool. Commanders might be limited to medium and heavy.

Or something like that anyway...

#5 OJ191

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:14 AM

View PostFenixStryk, on 15 July 2012 - 01:03 AM, said:

The only difference between the Founder starter Mech and the free players' starter Mech is the skin and the C-Bill boost. We'll be choosing from the exact same pool of four Prime variants that you guys are.

After that, all variants are bought from the shop for C-Bills... and outside of the C-Bill boost, you may find that your Prime variant isn't as exciting as you thought it would be.

This assumption is flawed, as it has been stated that founders still get a starter mech - legendary founders wouldn't have anything to choose from...

Unless they make an exception I guess and allow us legendaries to have any other mech as a starter mech since we payed $120.

Although I guess we could at least just sell it for cbills if we had to choose from the 4 mechs we already own.

Edited by OJ191, 15 July 2012 - 01:15 AM.

#6 Bodha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:21 AM

Only dev post on this topic I've seen said something like everyone will get to pick 1 mech to start with from a pool of 4 mechs (1 mech from each weight class).

I also noticed the founder mechs replace the prime variants per another post Russ made. So the question of whether you can essentially have duplicate mechs comes to mind. If you bought the legendary founder set will you have 2 mechs that are the same variant? Ive got a feeling that the start mech choices will not be the founder set. Perhaps they will be, but for some reason I cant shake the suspicion that the starter set will be 4 other mechs. Maybe, raven, centurion, dragon, and stalker/awesome?

#7 Otto Cannon

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:38 AM

View PostBodha, on 15 July 2012 - 01:21 AM, said:

Only dev post on this topic I've seen said something like everyone will get to pick 1 mech to start with from a pool of 4 mechs (1 mech from each weight class).

I also noticed the founder mechs replace the prime variants per another post Russ made. So the question of whether you can essentially have duplicate mechs comes to mind. If you bought the legendary founder set will you have 2 mechs that are the same variant? Ive got a feeling that the start mech choices will not be the founder set. Perhaps they will be, but for some reason I cant shake the suspicion that the starter set will be 4 other mechs. Maybe, raven, centurion, dragon, and stalker/awesome?

Yeah, I posted about this in the 'Ask the devs 10' thread. If it actually is a choice from only 4 rather than 8 then either the founders have a duplicate and have to sell it again, or you choose from what the other 4 would likely be; Commando, Centurion, Dragon and Awesome. Maybe we'll get to choose from more than just 4 though.

#8 Steel Prophet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Locationgood old Germany

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:38 AM

I think i've read something that at launch/open beta there will be approx. 10 of the so far announced Mechs ingame and you can choose your starting mech from any of those. I'm sorry i don't have the source of this on hand right now.

#9 Gunnerfa1

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 9 posts
  • LocationLittle River, South Carolina

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:45 AM

ok this is just pure speculation like all the other posts here but maybe the founders mechs will be like premium tanks in world of tanks and in order to progress down the line would be to purchase a beginner mech and just use the founder mech to build up C-bills. possible?

Edited by Gunnerfa1, 15 July 2012 - 02:16 AM.

#10 Otto Cannon

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:10 AM

View PostSteel Prophet, on 15 July 2012 - 01:38 AM, said:

I think i've read something that at launch/open beta there will be approx. 10 of the so far announced Mechs ingame and you can choose your starting mech from any of those. I'm sorry i don't have the source of this on hand right now.

This would seem the most likely solution to me if we disregard the early 'choose from 4 mechs' quote.

#11 BigJim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationChesterfield, England

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:13 AM

View PostOtto Cannon, on 15 July 2012 - 01:38 AM, said:

Yeah, I posted about this in the 'Ask the devs 10' thread. If it actually is a choice from only 4 rather than 8 then either the founders have a duplicate and have to sell it again, or you choose from what the other 4 would likely be; Commando, Centurion, Dragon and Awesome.

This. I'm almost certain it will work just like the founder's, only with 4x different mechs.
So there will be 1x of each class available, and you will choose 1x only - But the 4x will be different chassis to the founder's choices.

I don't think we wil just be given a bunch of C-Bills, because it might be possible to buy 2x light mechs for the same price as one Heavy or Assault which would just be a little "untidy".

Edited by BigJim, 15 July 2012 - 02:14 AM.

#12 TheOneGunslinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:19 AM

alot of people are going over the "pick one of 4" Vs "here is a stack of c-bills"
not sure which it will be

"pick one of 4"
sounds good the main problem is if the price difference for the mech is too much people will just go with the one that cost the most c-bills

"here is a stack of c-bills"
while fair means that people who have no idea how mechs work and what role they play maybe a bit lost.

most likely they will go some middle ground.

and yes i know a few have said you can start with any mech but dont think that will happen. i mean whats the point of saving money when you just get which ever mech you want at the start.

#13 Monolith

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 134 posts
  • LocationWest Tennessee, USA

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:33 AM

Personally, I believe that both starting role and starting faction should be a determining factor in your starter mech. For instance, a Liao scout would get a Raven, whereas a Davion scout would get a Commando or some such.

Just a thought.

#14 SilentSooYun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 426 posts
  • LocationTikonov

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:40 AM

I feel this is probably the case. The four Founders Mech chassis meet all the criteria the Devs have laid out, are generally suited to multiple roles (with modification), and they've been active in-game for the longest amount of time and thus are most likely balanced and relatively bug-free. Additional Mechs and hanger space to keep them will very likely be purchasable during run-time; this is a company, after all, and their primary goal is to reap a profit (by dangling such tempting carrots in front of us that we throw money at them :) )

And I fully expect to replace my Cat at some point; playing one Mech and one Mech alone might get boring after a while (especially since we can't change the paint), plus I have my eyes on that sexy, sexy Centurion. C-Bill boost may be nice for a start, but it's also equally likely that a similar but limited-time boost will be available to anyone through the store.

#15 Otto Cannon

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:49 AM

View PostTheOneGunslinger, on 15 July 2012 - 02:19 AM, said:

alot of people are going over the "pick one of 4" Vs "here is a stack of c-bills"
not sure which it will be

"pick one of 4"
sounds good the main problem is if the price difference for the mech is too much people will just go with the one that cost the most c-bills

"here is a stack of c-bills"
while fair means that people who have no idea how mechs work and what role they play maybe a bit lost.

most likely they will go some middle ground.

and yes i know a few have said you can start with any mech but dont think that will happen. i mean whats the point of saving money when you just get which ever mech you want at the start.

Personally I'd like to see choose any mech, and the cost is deducted from your start cash.
If you don't pay, then as you said, everyone will get the biggest; but if you can get a Commando and either customise it or buy a Raven to go with it for the same cost as an assault then it would encourage people to consider all the weight classes which is what the devs want.

#16 RePoD

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:51 AM

View PostMonolith, on 15 July 2012 - 02:33 AM, said:

Personally, I believe that both starting role and starting faction should be a determining factor in your starter mech. For instance, a Liao scout would get a Raven, whereas a Davion scout would get a Commando or some such.

Just a thought.

Makes perfect sense to me, fits in with what the devs have said so far.

#17 Grey Weasel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationToledo,OH

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:56 AM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 15 July 2012 - 01:12 AM, said:

The starting 'Mechs you will choose from are determined by the role you choose at start.  For instance, it is unlikely that the Scout/Recon role will allow anything heavier than a medium 'Mech to be chosen.  The Attack/Defense roles will likely be at the heavy and assault end of the pool.  Commanders might be limited to medium and heavy.
Can you point to a post that confirms this? I've heard this a couple of times, but I've yet to see anything from the devs that confirms it.

#18 Poundcake

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:59 AM

I doubt non-founders will be able to select a prime variant. More like youre gonna get a "standard" load out. Wishful thinking though ; )

#19 TheOneGunslinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:59 AM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 15 July 2012 - 01:12 AM, said:

The starting 'Mechs you will choose from are determined by the role you choose at start. For instance, it is unlikely that the Scout/Recon role will allow anything heavier than a medium 'Mech to be chosen. The Attack/Defense roles will likely be at the heavy and assault end of the pool. Commanders might be limited to medium and heavy.

Or something like that anyway...

i dont think that works your role is changed by how you set your mech up.
and what would choosing a role do?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users