How Woud You Feel If The Tk Penalty Did Not Apply To Members Of Same Unit?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 20 March 2016 - 11:40 AM

How would we feel if the TK penalty system did not make you wait for matches if you TK members of your same unit?

I know people within units like to goof around sometimes, and administrative action can always be executed within Unit Structure, instead of PGI enforcing it.

The TK penalty system is meant to function in an environment were the average player has no administrative rights and can't really do anything about it when someone decides to become a greifer. However, unit command can kick people out if they are actually acting in a greifing manner.

So, if we let members of a Unit govern themselves then they can still goof around in matches without causing undue harm to the surrounding community of unaffiliated players. If they TK random players, then TK penalties go into effect, as usual.

How does this sound?

#2 Navid A1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 20 March 2016 - 11:54 AM

Well according to your own logic (in response to someone who quit while he was waiting for conquest to reach 750):

View PostProsperity Park, on 15 March 2016 - 05:28 PM, said:

You quit in the midst of a live match so you can mess around in the mechlab.

Yes, you earned your penalty.

What PGI did was not stupid, what you did was.

You want to TK each other so you can have fun?... you deserve that penalty i think.
It doesn't matter if you were gonna win anyway.
Go private lobby for those kinda fun.

See... it works both ways.

#3 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,070 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 01:48 PM

i dont have any problem with it.

i was in a really brutal last minute brawl in a cw game yesterday and accidentally scored a tk. those kind of things happen when tight formations are in play. and mechs are dodging and twisting this way and that. team kills are inevitable in that kind of situation. especially when one guy panics and tries to flee.

though id have it as an opt in. some units might want to encourage good fire discipline and not want it off. others might be in it for fun and might have it off so they can dual when the game is less than challenging. players are informed of the setting when they are invited to join the unit.

Edited by LordNothing, 20 March 2016 - 01:51 PM.

#4 crustydog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 March 2016 - 03:08 PM

I think the OP has nailed it - team damage among units, especially mobile ones like MS, is very common, and is by far the greater occurrence. I run extra back armor when playing there:)

Incidents of deliberate malicious team damage within a unit are rare, and by definition are an internal matter that can be dealt with by the officers of the unit. Accidental damage is bound to happen, and of course is avoided by supporting team players, if at all possible.

The main problem with the current penalty system is that the time delays imposed for accidental damage and accidental disconnects extend to unit operations, such that entire groups are asked to pay the price for the actions of individuals, whether accidental or deliberate. Time delays delay the whole team from launching - and it introduces further delays into the queue operations - such that these delays are even penalizing the opposing players, who have to wait longer for the queues to function properly.

So you see, regardless of the cause of a team damage incident, or a player disconnect, with the exception of the solo queue, every player is forced to pay the penalty in delayed launch time. This also gums up the operations of PGI's servers... subsequently slowing the efficiency of the entire game.

The time delays must go - if you must punish, increase the financial penalties. Negative C-Bills\XP\GXP, at an appropriate level, can serve as an adequate and fair deterrent to accidental team damage. In the case of malicious, deliberate team damage and disconnects - the reporting system exists for identifying with certainty those who are repeat offenders.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users