#161 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 02 November 2017 - 03:57 AM

View PostTrissila, on 01 November 2017 - 07:38 PM, said:

Nobody wants to have their 'mechs locked and unavailable for 8 minutes while you run around in an ECM light with zero hope of actually defeating the 4+ enemy 'mechs remaining before time runs out and you lose anyway. You're wasting 23 other peoples' time for no good reason.

Hmm.

View PostMystere, on 21 March 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

Sigh!

Do I have to relate that match again in which:
  • I was last person standing.
  • There were 4 enemies left.
  • The clock had 8 minutes remaining.
  • I spent 6 minutes hiding and stalking while remaining fully undetected.
  • In the final 2 minutes I killed all 4 with mere seconds to spare.
Patience is a virtue, especially when hunting prey who arrogantly think they are the predators.

#162 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:07 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 01 November 2017 - 08:07 PM, said:

If you're taking steps to win the match, great. If you're fighting and doing enough damage to secure a win, great. If you're just dragging the match out to pad your stats and you get reported, expect to get dinged.

If your 'play style' consists of trying to be the last one to die and pad your stats as much as possible, yeah. That's going to get reported often enough to likely get you a ban and nothing of value to the game would be lost.

If you want to practice kiting in a Raven do private matches. They're free. Doing your practice in QP on how to drag a match out is, not surprisingly, going to get you reported and based on CoC it's likely to end up in discipline.

You're playing a game with 23 other people. The idea that you're expected not to be a **** to everyone else to pad your stats really shouldn't be a surprise. It's unfortunate that it seems to be for some people.

What would you rather players do, give up and serve themselves on a silver platter?

No siree! Everyone -- without exception -- has other mechs available to drop in. USe one of them.

Oh! Someone has a favorite? Well, then, get a spare or two. I do.

If I am the last one because the 11 idiots (or non-idiots, for that matter) on my team died early, I am not going to give myself up for easy execution by the enemy. It does not matter whether I can win or not. I will make winning leave a bad taste in the mouth for the enemy by giving them a dripping bloody nose. <shrugs>

View Posteyeballs, on 01 November 2017 - 10:23 PM, said:

So guess what, that means that you lot don't get to tell me what to do if it's just me left, so long as I'm making an effort to play ...

^^^ This! ^^^

People don't like waiting? See my advice above.

Edited by Mystere, 02 November 2017 - 04:10 AM.

#163 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:14 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 02 November 2017 - 02:41 AM, said:

OP, as long as you are actively engaging and trying to do damage / kill opponents, it's ok.

if you're just hiding and powering down, you are subject to a report.

Nah! All 23 other players need to be unanimous that you have a chance of winning. Posted Image

#164 ocular tb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 543 posts
  • LocationCaught Somewhere in Time

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:01 AM

As long as you're trying I don't care what you do.

#165 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:04 AM

If you were engaging the enemy then they can report you all they want, you didn't do anything wrong. Now if you had done something like run off and just hide and power down, that's an entirely different story. People will complain though because getting harassed by an enemy you can't catch is annoying.

#166 Anhydrite

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:31 AM

Its almost always lights in this situation. How else are we supposed to play lights. We cant run out and tank. So we poke and scoot. There is an epic Raven video out there where a LL raven comes back on a Skirmish match against 5 enemys.

Just dont power down to save PSR. As long as you engage for damage its fine. Just ignore the complainers

#167 Magnus Santini

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 708 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 06:48 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 22 March 2016 - 01:45 AM, said:

BUT What about the Raven pilot's fun? Isn't his fun just as important as your fun? Who's fun takes priority? You signed up for a 15 minute match, Don't complain unless you are in match till its 15 minutes 1 second.

This is exactly it. Shooting at enemies is fun. It is zero fun to play weaponless rabbit against hunters. So I will charge in and try to make the enemy shoot each other (fun). But if there is any way to win or fight, I would not just walk in to get massacred.

#168 FireStoat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:44 AM

If the last man standing hides from his enemies and does not fire a single shot for a full 5 minutes of time (I watch the timer), I hit the report button. Five minutes is a VERY long amount of time for a game that lasts in total less than 20.
Whatever you are doing in that mech isn't that important vs the other 23 players in the game.
If you are periodically taking shots? More power to you. Game on.

Edit - the report button doesn't do crap at any rate, even if all 23 people hit it. PGI just has it there as a "this might make you feel better" game addition.

Edited by FireStoat, 02 November 2017 - 09:46 AM.

#169 visionGT4

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 313 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:56 AM

Why is it that 9/10 of the idiots who waste everyone's time are in a Cheeto or SHC. It's almost as if clams have a deep sense of entitlement leading to this typical 12 year old like behavior.

Edited by visionGT4, 02 November 2017 - 09:57 AM.

#170 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:36 AM

View PostFireStoat, on 02 November 2017 - 09:44 AM, said:

If the last man standing hides from his enemies and does not fire a single shot for a full 5 minutes of time (I watch the timer), I hit the report button. Five minutes is a VERY long amount of time for a game that lasts in total less than 20.
Whatever you are doing in that mech isn't that important vs the other 23 players in the game.

Ahem!

Edited by Mystere, 02 November 2017 - 10:38 AM.

#171 Violent Tendencies

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 102 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:18 PM

You are in the wrong. Stop griefing and wasting all our times.

#172 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 02 November 2017 - 03:42 PM

View PostViolent Tendencies, on 02 November 2017 - 02:18 PM, said:

You are in the wrong. Stop griefing and wasting all our times.

No one is forcing you to stay. So why do you not just exit and drop in another mech? Everyone -- without exception -- can always drop in another one.

You do not want your precious to be locked out? Then go get a spare or two.

Simple.

Edited by Mystere, 02 November 2017 - 03:49 PM.

#173 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,726 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:13 PM

Never give up.
I once watched a guy once in a commando kill seven mechs in a match.
I believe he was El Bandito.
We got steamed rolled and he pulled the win out of his rear exhaust port.
So never quit.
I once pulled a seven kill win myself.
But what do I know I'm just a simple lurm boat pilot.

#174 Maker L106

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 250 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:09 PM

My opinion as some others have stated here, is that if you are trying to fight in the only way a light can vs many opponents, then **** them. You fight till your dying breath. I wish more people took the mentality of actually attempting to push / fight / flank / run away / reposition and communicate. Last I played, and on reason I haven't touched the game in a while is unco-operative jackasses.

#175 Shifty McSwift

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 05:19 PM

Depends I guess.

I spectated one ERLL raven that was nonstop, all out, sniping and outrunning chasers. It got the point where everyone on our team but him was dead, and it was brutal watching him outrange and outsmart them as they tried to round him up, it was like watching dogs chase a rabbit hunt if god gave rabbits lasers and a sense of vengeance.

But at the end of the day, he could not have finished the game at that rate, if he had an extra 10 or 30 minutes, then he definitely would have won, because the other team simply could not range him. Can't really blame him for trying, he might have also been practicing.

I guess it is just QP madness again really, no pregame communications/coordination leads to a whole bunch of soldiers being dropped in together but not even knowing how they are equipped or how they plan to go about the fight.

#176 The Cyberserker

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:01 AM

View Postkesmai, on 21 March 2016 - 02:33 AM, said:

If you are still playing, like you described it, the ones telling they report you are the *******. Even if you can't win there is no obligation for you to suicide. I've seen lonely survivors winning matches. So play like you do. It is ok.

Once during beta I was in a jenner and I was the last one alive on my team. The other team had 4 mechs left, a mix of heavies and assaults. I led them to the other side of the map and then booked it back to their base and capped before they could catch up. Stuff like that is why I never give up. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it feels great.

#177 Phoolan Devi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fenrik
  • Fenrik
  • 366 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:58 AM

View PostTrissila, on 01 November 2017 - 07:38 PM, said:

Nobody wants to have their 'mechs locked and unavailable for 8 minutes while you run around in an ECM light with zero hope of actually defeating the 4+ enemy 'mechs remaining before time runs out and you lose anyway. You're wasting 23 other peoples' time for no good reason.

I actually do not care if one mech is locked or not.....I got a 100+ more to play with. If it's worth watching, then I spectate the last mech in the hope, that I still can learn something in regards to tactics and positioning/evasion. If it's boring, I log out anf simply jump into another mech.

Actually there are only two game modes where a powered down hidden LMS is a problem: skirmish and attacker in siege while the attacking team looses.

#178 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:02 AM

View PostMystere, on 02 November 2017 - 04:07 AM, said:

What would you rather players do, give up and serve themselves on a silver platter?

No siree! Everyone -- without exception -- has other mechs available to drop in. USe one of them.

Oh! Someone has a favorite? Well, then, get a spare or two. I do.

If I am the last one because the 11 idiots (or non-idiots, for that matter) on my team died early, I am not going to give myself up for easy execution by the enemy. It does not matter whether I can win or not. I will make winning leave a bad taste in the mouth for the enemy by giving them a dripping bloody nose. <shrugs>

^^^ This! ^^^

People don't like waiting? See my advice above.

Opinions are irrelevant. Completely.

Read CoC. If what someone is doing is viewed as a violation and it gets reported then expect to get put on a disciplinary path.

If you're running and hiding for 6 minutes and get reported, and then in the last 2 minutes kill everyone to pull a win, great. Good on you. I'm sure when they pull the match nothing will happen.

If, however, you ran and hid for 6 minutes, then poked and lasered 1 or 2 guys a bit and ran again, expect to get a warning/ban/whatever.

The whole 'you can't tell me what I can and can't do, go do something else' thing is irrelevant. May as well be talking about the weather.

This is the official Code of Conduct:

Ceasing to meaningfully contribute for the remainder of the match if you still have support equipment, useful modules, or weapons (with any necessary ammo) available. Losing your primary weapon is not an acceptable excuse for hiding and/or shutting down if you still have a secondary weapon, a support-based item such as a TAG, or a consumable module available for use.

Running out the clock, or needlessly extending the duration of the match, in cases where doing so will not assist you towards victory.
Running out the clock or needlessly extending the duration of a Faction Play match in an attempt to keep a particular group or Unit in the current engagement for as long as possible, in cases where doing so will not assist you towards victory, is not considered an acceptable tactic.
Disliking a map or game mode or attempting to preserve a player statistic such as Kill/Death Ratio are not acceptable excuses for non-participation

If your behavior falls in those guidelines you are breaking CoC and subject to being reported and associated disciplinary actions. Full stop.

Playing in any multiplayer game means agreeing to keep within a specific set of behaviors. We are all patrons at the same business. If we're all in line at the checkout and you say 'hey, I want to look this up on my phone. You can all wait or go to another line' I'm going to say 'No. Watch this.' Then ask the person at the check stand or their manager to remove you from the line. How about you leave and come back when you're ready to check out. Saying 'but I want to make sure I'm getting the best price on these Peanut Butter M&Ms!' doesn't matter. The expectation at the business is that when you get in the checkout line you're there to check out as quickly and efficiently as possible. Them removing you from the line is fair and appropriate.

I'm in for 15 minutes under the assumption that everyone on both sides is following CoC, which includes the line about not 'Running out the clock, or needlessly extending the duration of the match, in cases where doing so will not assist you towards victory'. I am not there for 15 minutes because one guy wants to falsely pad his KDR. That's outside the bounds that PGI has set and established for expected and acceptable gameplay.

If you pull out a win in the last 30 seconds? Good on you. If you don't and you spent 8 minutes running, hiding and derping? You can be reported and subject to a warning/ban/whatever and that's 100% appropriate, as is the condemnation of the other players. In that instance you are, absolutely, breaking CoC.

#179 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:41 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 03 November 2017 - 07:02 AM, said:

Opinions are irrelevant. Completely.

Read CoC. If what someone is doing is viewed as a violation and it gets reported then expect to get put on a disciplinary path.

If you're running and hiding for 6 minutes and get reported, and then in the last 2 minutes kill everyone to pull a win, great. Good on you. I'm sure when they pull the match nothing will happen.

If, however, you ran and hid for 6 minutes, then poked and lasered 1 or 2 guys a bit and ran again, expect to get a warning/ban/whatever.

The whole 'you can't tell me what I can and can't do, go do something else' thing is irrelevant. May as well be talking about the weather.

This is the official Code of Conduct:

If your behavior falls in those guidelines you are breaking CoC and subject to being reported and associated disciplinary actions. Full stop.

Playing in any multiplayer game means agreeing to keep within a specific set of behaviors. We are all patrons at the same business. If we're all in line at the checkout and you say 'hey, I want to look this up on my phone. You can all wait or go to another line' I'm going to say 'No. Watch this.' Then ask the person at the check stand or their manager to remove you from the line. How about you leave and come back when you're ready to check out. Saying 'but I want to make sure I'm getting the best price on these Peanut Butter M&Ms!' doesn't matter. The expectation at the business is that when you get in the checkout line you're there to check out as quickly and efficiently as possible. Them removing you from the line is fair and appropriate.

I'm in for 15 minutes under the assumption that everyone on both sides is following CoC, which includes the line about not 'Running out the clock, or needlessly extending the duration of the match, in cases where doing so will not assist you towards victory'. I am not there for 15 minutes because one guy wants to falsely pad his KDR. That's outside the bounds that PGI has set and established for expected and acceptable gameplay.

If you pull out a win in the last 30 seconds? Good on you. If you don't and you spent 8 minutes running, hiding and derping? You can be reported and subject to a warning/ban/whatever and that's 100% appropriate, as is the condemnation of the other players. In that instance you are, absolutely, breaking CoC.

Hmm, by your interpretation of the CoC, if I get to kill only 5 of the 6 remaining enemies (and therefore lost) then I just wasted everyone's time and should be banned, and much more so if I only got to kill one with only 1 second left. Right? Right?

Edited by Mystere, 03 November 2017 - 08:52 AM.

#180 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 02:44 PM

View PostMystere, on 03 November 2017 - 08:41 AM, said:

Hmm, by your interpretation of the CoC, if I get to kill only 5 of the 6 remaining enemies (and therefore lost) then I just wasted everyone's time and should be banned, and much more so if I only got to kill one with only 1 second left. Right? Right?

At that point it's really up to the admin reviewing it, isn't it? If it looks like you were still fighting and trying to win, great. If it looks like you were dodging out, then whack.

There's not a whole lot there for interpretation.

Here you go. Again.

Running out the clock, or needlessly extending the duration of the match, in cases where doing so will not assist you towards victory

I would guess that it will also depend on how many people reported you. If 1 guy did, everyone you played with probably seemed okay with it so no harm done. If 23 people did, they're probably going to slap you down.

Because it's a team game and you're playing with 23 other customers and the expectation that nobody is going to waste everyone elses time to pad their stats is there.

79 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 79 guests, 0 anonymous users