Solaris?

25 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:25 AM

When is MechWarrior getting Solaris? It looks like Sony VR is all over it. Posted Image

#2 Roughneck Cobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 462 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:27 AM

Aint really Mechwarrior is it with cockpits like that, more like the Units from Matrix and such, Mechanised Combat suits and whatnot. Looks funky but I will shamefully admit I laughed at the leg designs, probably because Im watching the special olympics southpark episode at the same time.

#3 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:32 AM

A Solaris mode would be nice but you'd have to figure out a way to balance two ACH's vs a heavy. Those ACH's would tear it apart.

#4 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:35 AM

Awsome trailer for sure. Looks like it is 3 v 3 with very limited mechs available at start. Of course the first thing that comes to mind is, where is Solaris?

Notice the eject animation? Wheres that in MechWarrior? :)

Edited by Johnny Z, 21 March 2016 - 06:42 AM.

#5 TheCharlatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:45 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 21 March 2016 - 06:25 AM, said:

When is MechWarrior getting Solaris? It looks like Sony VR is all over it. Posted Image

Is it just me, or MW's Solaris looks more realistic (as much as realism can go with giant robots) than this?
"Let's drive big mechs armed with heavy ordnance without even a windshield!"
I guess anyone can drive one of those things: life expectancy of the pilots can't be very long... and no, jumping out of your mech while it explodes does not make it less suicidal.

#6 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:51 AM

View PostTheCharlatan, on 21 March 2016 - 06:45 AM, said:

Is it just me, or MW's Solaris looks more realistic (as much as realism can go with giant robots) than this?
"Let's drive big mechs armed with heavy ordnance without even a windshield!"
I guess anyone can drive one of those things: life expectancy of the pilots can't be very long... and no, jumping out of your mech while it explodes does not make it less suicidal.

Looks like its a lot of fun. MechWarrior Online got a lot right its no surprise a different take on it is coming out. Very cool to. While not sci-fi like this game it is more near future fi. :)

The original Solaris could be very cool to. (ya I know its spelled too I keep forgetting about the double O's :))

Edited by Johnny Z, 21 March 2016 - 06:57 AM.

#7 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:01 AM

I'm really worried that Solaris in MWO won't be called Solaris. No audience, no commentators, just tiny arena maps that aren't really arenas, without any extra dazzle what so ever. They'll just call it "esports" or something, and ignore the fact that Battletech actually has lore they can use.

I was hoping that one of the new 1v1, 2v2 or 4v4 maps would look like a real Solaris-type arena, but no luck. PGI never did like making the obvious choice. For better and for worse, they always do things their own way. And in this case, it's a huge wasted opportunity.

#8 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:05 AM

View PostTristan Winter, on 21 March 2016 - 07:01 AM, said:

I'm really worried that Solaris in MWO won't be called Solaris. No audience, no commentators, just tiny arena maps that aren't really arenas, without any extra dazzle what so ever. They'll just call it "esports" or something, and ignore the fact that Battletech actually has lore they can use.

I was hoping that one of the new 1v1, 2v2 or 4v4 maps would look like a real Solaris-type arena, but no luck. PGI never did like making the obvious choice. For better and for worse, they always do things their own way. And in this case, it's a huge wasted opportunity.

Obviously test maps. No reason to think Solaris wont be cool. Sony is busy making this game new from the start and will likely have to create a story to go with it to at least some some degree. There is other videos showing the players getting into the mechs before the match.

While this looks cool, MechWarrior is cool in its own right.

That MechWarrior gets trailers like these would be awesome to.

Edited by Johnny Z, 21 March 2016 - 07:07 AM.

#9 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:16 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 21 March 2016 - 07:05 AM, said:

Obviously test maps. No reason to think Solaris wont be cool. Sony is busy making this game new from the start and will likely have to create a story to go with it to at least some some degree. There is other videos showing the players getting into the mechs before the match.
While this looks cool, MechWarrior is cool in its own right.
That MechWarrior gets trailers like these would be awesome to.

Oh, I don't know. I'd be happy to be mistaken, but I don't think we're getting a true Solaris mode, as people are expecting, with commentators and crowds cheering for each kill.

Sig bet, anyone? :D

#10 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:57 AM

Looks like its set in 2065.

Edited by Johnny Z, 21 March 2016 - 10:17 AM.

#11 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 21 March 2016 - 03:40 PM

Well that was certainly something. Kudos I guess for being a very... unique approach to the mech genre? :P

Personally I'm still holding out that Heavy Gears will be a decent eSports centered mech game.

In terms of Solaris... they'll probably get on it... sometime into the future... sigh. You know, I figure PGI always missed a huge opportunity with MWO in that MWO could have been focused purely on Solaris in the first place. Not only would the smaller arena style maps make more sense, they could easily focus on a lot of multiplayer/competitive esports features that just work in a concept like Solaris.

Instead we have this weird microcosm of what a MechWarrior game should be that doesn't really know what it wants to be. :P

#12 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:03 PM

Soon™

#13 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 06:05 AM

View PostDingo Red, on 21 March 2016 - 03:40 PM, said:

Well that was certainly something. Kudos I guess for being a very... unique approach to the mech genre? :P

Personally I'm still holding out that Heavy Gears will be a decent eSports centered mech game.

In terms of Solaris... they'll probably get on it... sometime into the future... sigh. You know, I figure PGI always missed a huge opportunity with MWO in that MWO could have been focused purely on Solaris in the first place. Not only would the smaller arena style maps make more sense, they could easily focus on a lot of multiplayer/competitive esports features that just work in a concept like Solaris.

Instead we have this weird microcosm of what a MechWarrior game should be that doesn't really know what it wants to be. :P

As much as I would like to see Solaris, I don't think it would work as a MechWarrior title by itself.

As part of a fully featured MechWarrior game it would be awesome.

Edited by Johnny Z, 22 March 2016 - 06:06 AM.

#14 Solarise

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 06:14 AM

humanoid mech cool

#15 GRiPSViGiL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 22 March 2016 - 06:29 AM

View PostTriordinant, on 21 March 2016 - 04:03 PM, said:

Soon™

Actually it is "Not Overly SoonTM" these days....Russ is being much more forthright. Posted Image

#16 Griffin Talon

• PipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 20 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 22 March 2016 - 06:39 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 22 March 2016 - 06:05 AM, said:

As much as I would like to see Solaris, I don't think it would work as a MechWarrior title by itself.

Well thats easy copy n paste mechwarrior 4 mercs, Weight classes different maps, champion match for each tier then grand champion which they can make a big deal of, esport ftw.

Of course we will need duncan fisher *nudge nudge*

#17 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 22 March 2016 - 07:22 AM

View PostGriffin Talon, on 22 March 2016 - 06:39 AM, said:

Of course we will need duncan fisher *nudge nudge*

Posted Image

#18 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 22 March 2016 - 03:37 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 22 March 2016 - 06:05 AM, said:

Wouldn't it? It's essentially what we have now. :P

#19 SplashDown

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 399 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 03:44 PM

IMHO i dont thing game is ready for a solaris..for the simple fact all of the players that would blow up the forums crying nerf this nerf that just cuz they got rekt in solaris.
Enuff whining on forums as is.

#20 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:22 PM

View PostDingo Red, on 22 March 2016 - 03:37 PM, said:

Wouldn't it? It's essentially what we have now. :P

Ya but the addition of the Star map at the end of 2014 I think it was showed promise there would be more. Then all the talk about career and decals and phase 3 has kept players interested..... lately even the mention of a 3d mechbay.

Edited by Johnny Z, 22 March 2016 - 05:23 PM.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users