555 replies to this topic

#541 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 12:46 PM

View PostMystere, on 31 March 2016 - 07:02 AM, said:

I have a single reply for you: MWO is not TT.

Posted Image

Correct.

A FPS is even worse for this idea than TT was.

#542 Lugh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 12:50 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 31 March 2016 - 12:46 PM, said:

Correct.

It's not an FPS. It's a simulator. It's way too arcade and always has been, attempting to attract and keep FPS lovers, THEY NEVER STAY. Why? There are literally THOUSANDS of better FPS's out there.

#543 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:05 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 31 March 2016 - 12:46 PM, said:

Correct.

View PostLugh, on 31 March 2016 - 12:50 PM, said:

It's not an FPS. It's a simulator. It's way too arcade and always has been, attempting to attract and keep FPS lovers, THEY NEVER STAY. Why? There are literally THOUSANDS of better FPS's out there.

It's actually neither. It's a game suffering from a severe case of dissociative identity disorder (previously known as multiple personality disorder). As such, I intend to steer the simulation side as the dominant personality. Posted Image

Who knows, maybe a third personality comes out and completely takes over: Total War! Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 31 March 2016 - 01:09 PM.

#544 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:40 PM

It has elements of both an FPS and a sim, and its awesome. Stop trying to ruin the game please, thanks.

#545 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:45 PM

View PostLugh, on 31 March 2016 - 12:50 PM, said:

It's a FPS sim. You're not a Lance of mechs, you're only 1 person in a mech, playing in first person, shooting.

You don't have a gunnery and piloting stat. Your hits are not determined by a dice roll. You don't have 50/50 odds of hitting with a ML at 135m on a random location on your target.

Beside which we all ready covered how the imbalanced mechanic failed and was replaced with 1 to 1 even in tabletop, which is friendlier to the bad idea than MWO is. InRev already went over how the idea failed on other games and was largely abandoned there. Plus you can play a Vindicator against a Timber Wolf if you want. Go load up your Mist Lynx and go after Black Knights. There you go. Your personal desire to play at a significant disadvantage already exists!

Except everyone here knows that's not what any of you are looking for. If you guys were arguing for the opportunity to play at a disadvantage and win against the odds that already exists. Go make a 12man with steep tonnage limits and play in group queue. Run bad mechs. You can do this numerous ways.

Nobody here thinks that's what you want. Nobody is fooled.

Also nobody is taking the idea that mwo would do something so incredibly failbucket stupid as try to emulate the worst mistake and most hated, reviled and mocked balance error of the MWO franchise.

It's not a matter of can't, it's a matter of recognizing what a terrible failure of an idea it is.

If you look at BT today it's 1 to 1 tech balance. It's not universal, there are some unique tech on both sides but the tech is balanced 1 to 1.

This isn't because they didn't have the ability to keep balance clownshoes broke as **** like it was before, it was recognizing that even in a tt war game a balance mechanic designed to cater to the ego of Mary Sue munchkin fantasies of needing to be OP superhero that can only be taken down under a pile of dead enemies was crap.

How about instead you guys buck up, accept that MWO is cutting out the abject and reviled failures TT went though with terrible balance decisions and cut to the end where it ended up 1 to 1, and if you need op superhero time go play a single player game and turn some cheats on.

From day 1 PGI has said their intent was to balance Clans to IS 1 to 1. That's always been the goal. They suck at it and it's taken them years to get even close but the position hasn't changed.This isn't new.

Again, fortunately, there's no way PGI would be so bone headed as to try and repeat the ego-stroking failures of the TT franchise and **** all over balance to try and make it something 50 players would enjoy if only they could get 70 people to show up and be fodder for them.

The rest of us will buck up and try to win on a more balanced field and not beg for a game where we get spoon fed easy kills in an environment stacked in their favor.

If you want the hardmode experience that's already there. Have fun, go nuts. Take your stock Urbie and hunt that Atlas. You have nothing to complain about, you can play stock IS mechs against meta Clan mechs for that brave challenge. If that's what you're actually looking for.

Edited by MischiefSC, 31 March 2016 - 01:50 PM.

#546 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 31 March 2016 - 02:08 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 31 March 2016 - 01:45 PM, said:

It's a FPS sim. You're not a Lance of mechs, you're only 1 person in a mech, playing in first person, shooting.

You don't have a gunnery and piloting stat. Your hits are not determined by a dice roll. You don't have 50/50 odds of hitting with a ML at 135m on a random location on your target.

Beside which we all ready covered how the imbalanced mechanic failed and was replaced with 1 to 1 even in tabletop, which is friendlier to the bad idea than MWO is. InRev already went over how the idea failed on other games and was largely abandoned there. Plus you can play a Vindicator against a Timber Wolf if you want. Go load up your Mist Lynx and go after Black Knights. There you go. Your personal desire to play at a significant disadvantage already exists!

Except everyone here knows that's not what any of you are looking for. If you guys were arguing for the opportunity to play at a disadvantage and win against the odds that already exists. Go make a 12man with steep tonnage limits and play in group queue. Run bad mechs. You can do this numerous ways.

Nobody here thinks that's what you want. Nobody is fooled.

Also nobody is taking the idea that mwo would do something so incredibly failbucket stupid as try to emulate the worst mistake and most hated, reviled and mocked balance error of the MWO franchise.

It's not a matter of can't, it's a matter of recognizing what a terrible failure of an idea it is.

If you look at BT today it's 1 to 1 tech balance. It's not universal, there are some unique tech on both sides but the tech is balanced 1 to 1.

This isn't because they didn't have the ability to keep balance clownshoes broke as **** like it was before, it was recognizing that even in a tt war game a balance mechanic designed to cater to the ego of Mary Sue munchkin fantasies of needing to be OP superhero that can only be taken down under a pile of dead enemies was crap.

How about instead you guys buck up, accept that MWO is cutting out the abject and reviled failures TT went though with terrible balance decisions and cut to the end where it ended up 1 to 1, and if you need op superhero time go play a single player game and turn some cheats on.

From day 1 PGI has said their intent was to balance Clans to IS 1 to 1. That's always been the goal. They suck at it and it's taken them years to get even close but the position hasn't changed.This isn't new.

Again, fortunately, there's no way PGI would be so bone headed as to try and repeat the ego-stroking failures of the TT franchise and **** all over balance to try and make it something 50 players would enjoy if only they could get 70 people to show up and be fodder for them.

The rest of us will buck up and try to win on a more balanced field and not beg for a game where we get spoon fed easy kills in an environment stacked in their favor.

If you want the hardmode experience that's already there. Have fun, go nuts. Take your stock Urbie and hunt that Atlas. You have nothing to complain about, you can play stock IS mechs against meta Clan mechs for that brave challenge. If that's what you're actually looking for.

Convince PGI to move the timeline to 3100 and I'll stop. Heck, force them to go back to 3025 and I'll do the same. But until either happens, I'll keep doing what I do, thank you very much.

Edited by Mystere, 31 March 2016 - 02:09 PM.

#547 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 31 March 2016 - 02:13 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 31 March 2016 - 01:40 PM, said:

It has elements of both an FPS and a sim, and its awesome. Stop trying to ruin the game please, thanks.

The gaming world is bursting with FPS, from AAAs to trashware. Sims, on the other hand, could use some help.

By the way, equating MWO with "awesome" ruins your credibility. The game is anything but.

But if you really think it is, have another Mech pack. Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 31 March 2016 - 02:13 PM.

#548 Triordinant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 31 March 2016 - 03:18 PM

PGI should have stuck with their original 3015 timeline and avoided a shipload of problems.

#549 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 03:30 PM

View PostMystere, on 31 March 2016 - 02:13 PM, said:

The gaming world is bursting with FPS, from AAAs to trashware. Sims, on the other hand, could use some help.

By the way, equating MWO with "awesome" ruins your credibility. The game is anything but.

But if you really think it is, have another Mech pack. Posted Image

This is the only game that I play anymore, so you can trash my opinion all you want. As you are no one of consequence (just a whiney forum warrior with an overinflated sense of self worth), I really don't care what you think Posted Image

#550 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 31 March 2016 - 03:34 PM

The hubris begins when you think anyone without a PGI tag is of any consequence beyond money spent. Including yourself.

#551 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 31 March 2016 - 03:49 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 31 March 2016 - 03:30 PM, said:

This is the only game that I play anymore, so you can trash my opinion all you want. As you are no one of consequence (just a whiney forum warrior with an overinflated sense of self worth), I really don't care what you think Posted Image

Whiney? I disagree. But as far as an "overinflated sense of self worth":

Great show! Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 31 March 2016 - 03:52 PM.

#552 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 31 March 2016 - 05:54 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 31 March 2016 - 01:40 PM, said:

No point in posting that here. Try Twitter.

#553 Stargazzer811

• PipPipPip
  • The Moonwalker
  • The Moonwalker
  • 97 posts
  • LocationAn experimental SLDF McKenna class Battleship, waiting for Clan Nova Cat to return to the Inner Sphere in 3160

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:51 AM

View PostGyrok, on 28 March 2016 - 05:52 PM, said:

Great, so you have anecdotal evidence that sub par mechs can be played well? That has zero relevance to a balance discussion. Thanks for playing.

Thanks for not reading my posts, and/or being too ignorant to understand what I was saying.

Once again, thanks for playing...let the adults have a conversation now...go get some chocolate milk and go to bed little one.

Hey Gyrok, this is an open forum. If you don't like it when people speak their mind, then pull the stick out of your *** and leave us alone huh? Because you've been nothing but trouble on this post since day ******* 1.

Same goes for ppl like Gas guzzler and and Adamski. Your all toxic and think your better then everyone else. Why don't you take YOUR inflated sense of self worth and go play a different game instead of sitting here and whining about people who supposedly have no idea what they are talking about when they are really just opening stating an opinion on an open forum which NONE OF YOU own. Thanks, have a nice life.

Edited by Avalon91211, 07 April 2016 - 04:58 AM.

#554 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 07 April 2016 - 07:46 AM

View Postcazidin, on 31 March 2016 - 08:05 AM, said:

Except that each weight class listed has a benefit/role with the lightest and heaviest of them requiring greater skill but offering a greater reward should you perform well in them. Unless you're piloting a Spider. Then you're just trolling us all.

No...actually...the risk increases as you go down in weight class...and the reward typically does as well.

I am not saying you cannot do 1000 damage in a light...I have done it on numerous occasions. What I am saying though...is if you counted how many 1000 damage matches I have had in an assault mech, it would likely be close to the total number of matches I have in mediums and lights combined with damage that high.

Now, with tonnage restrictions being what they are...clan assaults are not worth the opportunity cost versus taking a heavy mech. The KDK may change that...but considering it is going to be a huge model...it may be a glass cannon. Remember, the only reason the Atlas is good is because it has the equivalent armor/structure of a 120 ton mech.

#555 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 07 April 2016 - 07:51 AM

View PostAvalon91211, on 07 April 2016 - 04:51 AM, said:

Hey Gyrok, this is an open forum. If you don't like it when people speak their mind, then pull the stick out of your *** and leave us alone huh? Because you've been nothing but trouble on this post since day ******* 1.

When people do not read the content of a post, and just post crap about whatever that is not relevant. It has no bearing on the discussion.

As someone who understands how balance works...people who are clueless are completely frustrating. The majority of them do not take to being advised as to why something does not make sense and get defensive. So rather than waste my time trying to explain why...I ask them not to participate further.

Additionally...the internet allows people such as yourself to act like you are important, or some kind of internet tough guy. Sad to say...but you are not relevant to this conversation either.

#556 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:18 AM

View PostAvalon91211, on 07 April 2016 - 04:51 AM, said:

Same goes for ppl like Gas guzzler and and Adamski. Your all toxic and think your better then everyone else. Why don't you take YOUR inflated sense of self worth and go play a different game instead of sitting here and whining about people who supposedly have no idea what they are talking about when they are really just opening stating an opinion on an open forum which NONE OF YOU own. Thanks, have a nice life.

So there is something wrong with me expressing my opinion is what your saying?

I'm not toxic, I just can't stand people who say "How dare PGI not make this game the way I want them to!" and act like their own opinion is the only one that PGI should listen to, and because they don't they are "stupid".

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 07 April 2016 - 08:23 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users