- - - - -

Controllers...joystick/hotas, Pedals...mouse

8 replies to this topic

#1 Warspawn

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 86 posts
  • LocationBack Home Again...In Indiana...

Posted 23 March 2016 - 12:24 PM

Jumping back into the game here. Been doing Aces High (flight sim) for years and pretty comfortable with the CH Products line joystick (HOTAS-Fighterstick) setup (actually using Saitek pedals atm).

For me...i'm finding the throttle/rudder fine (rudder pedals controlling my leg direction) , but playing around with accuracy and intuitiveness the mouse seems to fit much better for my torso and arm control. I'll miss the button-fest that the joystick gave me-->everything's there without having to go eyes-to-keyboard. Any mouse preferences to replace the joystick? G700s?

Thanks!!

~War~

#2 Tralik

• PipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:08 AM

If you like joystick/hotas play style, you might look at using something like the Razer Tartarus off-hand keyboard. I've been using this for the last two years on various games and have come to find it to be the best all around gaming purchase I've ever made. It has a thumb joystick that works really well for movement and 17 other programmable buttons that are easy to use and locate by feel intuitively. It is also fully programmable with macro support and other sensitivity settings and such. Using this to control movement, targeting, and other keyboard functions while using the mouse for torso control and aiming works unbelievably well. I highly recommend it. http://www.razerzone.../razer-tartarus

#3 Lostdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:33 AM

Unfortunately a mouse and keyboard is the best way to play MWO. I played all the other MW games with joysticks, but they are just not viable in MWO. My keyboard is a (very old) G15 and I have a G502 mouse. The G15 has been a winner, I've been using it well over a decade and the G502 is a replacement for the venerable G500 I bought with the G15. The 502 is great, it is about the same size as the 500, has adjustable weight, but also has a lot more buttons.

#4 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 10:08 AM

a mouse is more accurate than a joystick, but there are hall effect sensor joysticks that are more accurate than a joystick using potentiometers like yours probably does.i use a thrustmaster t16000m stick with the tflight hotas throttle.

#5 Scaramanga Goldgun

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 02:19 AM

Playing with joystick was very playable in the old 2013 builds of the game; however this current build (especially with the new gauss charging mechanic, my god why doesn't it just fire automatically after charging hell i would wait 6 sec for the damn thing to charge if it will only fire at the end) just drains enjoyment. However i just can't play a mech without joystick, just can't.

#6 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 25 March 2016 - 02:56 AM

View PostScaramanga Goldgun, on 25 March 2016 - 02:19 AM, said:

Playing with joystick was very playable in the old 2013 builds of the game; however this current build (especially with the new gauss charging mechanic, my god why doesn't it just fire automatically after charging hell i would wait 6 sec for the damn thing to charge if it will only fire at the end) just drains enjoyment. However i just can't play a mech without joystick, just can't.

I am realy glad the GAUSS does not fire at the end of the charge up, if it didthat would lead to a lot of wasted shots where the Mech ducks into cover, or you missing the component you are aiming at, if that was the case I would probably need twice as much gauss ammo to be as effective as I am now, that is 6-8 tons rather than 3-4 per rifle, if you want auto-fire when charged you can easily set up a macro to do that for you

#7 Scaramanga Goldgun

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:50 AM

I just can't hit the release window, ether I release too late or too early (i keep trying to anticipate the point in the sound effect it goes green to fire [just before the crest of the second woop sound] ) the button on my T.16000m. There were even times when the charging reticule was green and the thing still didn't fire.

#8 Napoleon_Blownapart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 10:00 AM

I never use gauss but played around with it last week and my t16000m trigger wouldnt fire it, only the 2,3,and 4 buttons would.

#9 Scaramanga Goldgun

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 10:14 AM

I can fire it using trigger, but does your 3 & 4 jiggle side to side in its slot? I'm beginning to thing that is my problem i'm not connecting with the button sensor. However, 3&4 work fine for every other weapon system.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users