Are Atm's Obsolete/unplayable?

20 replies to this topic

#1 Goldo7

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:04 PM

Hey,

Are atms currently unplayable? Am I missing options?

I've tried a few atm builds but it seems to me that with the high volume of ams (due to the high lrm usage) shoots down every atm missile.

Atm shoots less missiles and they don't seem to be able to break trough the AMS shields with brute force like large lrm boats can. The low flightpath adds more AMS opportunity.

Who still plays atm and how?

rgds
Goldo7

#2 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:07 PM

It's a dice roll. Best option is to have some decent backup weapons in the case that you run into and AMS heavy team.

#3 Mechwarrior1441491

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:09 PM

I use them when I'm really close. I feel they are skirmish weapons instead of long range. If it's close enough some will get through.

#4 Goldo7

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:19 PM

View PostMechwarrior1441491, on 11 July 2018 - 12:09 PM, said:

I use them when I'm really close. I feel they are skirmish weapons instead of long range. If it's close enough some will get through.

Thats what I try mostly, to get inside 280ish meters. But then I often see my missiles pop the moment they leave the tube.

#5 Haipyng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 593 posts
  • LocationIn Transit

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:22 PM

It's hit or miss. People are taking AMS way more often and small batteries of ATM can get completely shot down. I have a medium I was running last night that was chain firing 4, ATM 6 batteries and two mechs with AMS were shooting them all down. I parked it with a mental note to do something different.

#6 Felbombling

• 2,975 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:24 PM

I use ATMs within a 125-550m range bracket [skilled up with a few range nodes]. At least get 2 damage per missile out of them. I would not recommend a full ATM build, mix them in with other weapons so that you have options if someone under-runs your minimum range profile. Also, I suggest the ATM 9 or 12 racks to avoid the AMS problems you mentioned above. I noticed early on that the ATM 3 and ATM 6 get eaten alive by AMS.

#7 Stinger554

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 383 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:26 PM

View PostHaipyng, on 11 July 2018 - 12:22 PM, said:

It's hit or miss. People are taking AMS way more often and small batteries of ATM can get completely shot down. I have a medium I was running last night that was chain firing 4, ATM 6 batteries and two mechs with AMS were shooting them all down. I parked it with a mental note to do something different.

The smaller ATM launchers are relatively useless. Specifically because of that issue.

If you encounter that situation you need to avoid chain firing.

#8 Haipyng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 593 posts
  • LocationIn Transit

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:33 PM

View PostStinger554, on 11 July 2018 - 12:26 PM, said:

The smaller ATM launchers are relatively useless. Specifically because of that issue.

If you encounter that situation you need to avoid chain firing.

Yep. I shut one down and was firing three at a time to avoid GH, but it wasn't very effective. Fortunately I had 5 er small lasers to fall back on, at the expense of getting closer than I would have liked. Just need a different build. :)

#9 Nema Nabojiv

• 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:34 PM

No they are still stronk.
They all about keeping range, and in my opinion, they are not for assaults as they suck at keeping ranges.
Also, bring ATM24 or dont bother at all.
Also, Huntsman or Mad Dog Prime or dont bother at all.

Edited by Nema Nabojiv, 11 July 2018 - 12:36 PM.

#10 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:34 PM

If you use them correctly 195-250m the ams wont have time to do a damn thing about them. MDD with 3 atm9 and 5 heavy smalls is a solid build to start.

Edited by Grus, 11 July 2018 - 12:35 PM.

#11 Humpday

• The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:41 PM

View PostNema Nabojiv, on 11 July 2018 - 12:34 PM, said:

No they are still stronk.
They all about keeping range, and in my opinion, they are not for assaults as they suck at keeping ranges.
Also, bring ATM24 or dont bother at all.
Also, Huntsman or Mad Dog Prime or dont bother at all.

I'm pretty much like this ^^

Huntsman is a nasty atm poptart, very dangerous that thing.
But like anything, in this game, unless you boat or are quirked...they are kinda meh.

Problem is they go from meh, directly to OP AF. The atm48 SVN-A is super dirty....rather, it was...i haven't played it in a while...i think ATMs got nerfe a patch or 2 back.

#12 Nema Nabojiv

• 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:53 PM

View PostHumpday, on 11 July 2018 - 12:41 PM, said:

Problem is they go from meh, directly to OP AF. The atm48 SVN-A is super dirty....rather, it was...i haven't played it in a while...i think ATMs got nerfe a patch or 2 back.

idk, I tried doing it on MK2 and it was horrible. Supernova is surely better hitbox-wise, but then Supernova is so good with lurm80 that I don't want to rebuild that glory.

Edited by Nema Nabojiv, 11 July 2018 - 12:54 PM.

#13 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:54 PM

ATMs are strong

#14 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,885 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:25 PM

they are better than lerms i think. it also encourages players to get closer to the enemy so they arent back in the rear feeding the fish. but it being a range bracket weapon makes it tricky, so its far from a noob weapon. still prefer mrms but you cant take those as clan so atms work out ok. might become the new meta if the lasers get crippled.

Edited by LordNothing, 11 July 2018 - 04:26 PM.

#15 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:29 PM

IMO I feel like Lurms are overall more reliable and versatile than ATMs, although admittedly I only tried ATMs a little bit on my Vulture (before switching back to Lurms). ATMs feel like an "all-in" kind of weapon, Lurms are more "safe."

#16 SFC174

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 695 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:34 PM

Mad2c with ATM24 and 5 MPLs does surprisingly well. I started out running a tag in place of one MPL, but really no point. The launcher location is super high and angled so its relatively easy to get the missiles over obstructions. And 5 CMPL is pretty potent up close (could do 4 HMLs and a tag I suppose).

#17 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,082 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:34 PM

What atms and chassis were you using?

I'm using SNV-A and having a blast with 48 ATMs, melts mechs under 270m.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 11 July 2018 - 04:34 PM.

#18 SFC174

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 695 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:36 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 11 July 2018 - 04:34 PM, said:

I'm using SNV-A and having a blast with 48 ATMs, melts mechs under 270m.

144 Alpha? That's a nerfin….

;)

#19 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,082 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:43 PM

View PostSFC174, on 11 July 2018 - 04:36 PM, said:

144 Alpha? That's a nerfin….

Posted Image

I would really prefer 2.4/2.0/1.6 dmg with no minimum range. At least that way it's not as powerful close up, useless point-blank, or as inefficient at long range.

#20 Yosharian

• Bad Company
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:50 PM

> Obsolete/unplayable

No, but they are rendered useless by mass ECM/AMS. That makes them frustrating to use, but certainly not unplayable.

They are powerful in certain situations.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users