Punish The Shot Blockers.

39 replies to this topic

#21 Tripzter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:44 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 23 March 2016 - 08:16 PM, said:

"hey stalker, hold your fire i wanna push through quick"

I can deal with a light trying to pass through. My issue is and again going back to that game is the guy decided to go through my volley, stop in front of me so he can spam his SPL...at a target thats 200 meters outside his range.

#22 Sorbic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:46 PM

View PostTripzter, on 23 March 2016 - 06:25 PM, said:

Even if thats the case your place as a light isnt in front of assaults.

If we're going to play the "your place" game then are we going to start tossing around the whole "assault's should be the tip of the spear thing instead of sitting back waiting for others to take the enemy focus and then cry when they don't get a clear shot?

Of course when I do play a light it's usually a slow AC10 Urbie and when it's a game where I'm pushing with mediums/heavies while assaults are hanging back... Not picking on assault pilots as I run those a lot more than lights. Just saying maybe folks should record and objectively re-watch the games later.

#23 Tripzter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:51 PM

View PostSorbic, on 23 March 2016 - 08:46 PM, said:

If we're going to play the "your place" game then are we going to start tossing around the whole "assault's should be the tip of the spear thing instead of sitting back waiting for others to take the enemy focus and then cry when they don't get a clear shot?

i WAS at the tip of the spear.. i've said this number of times now in this thread that if i had pushed forward another 20 meters i would have been in front of the entire enemy team to shoot at me.

#24 Sorbic

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:18 PM

View PostTripzter, on 23 March 2016 - 08:51 PM, said:

i WAS at the tip of the spear.. i've said this number of times now in this thread that if i had pushed forward another 20 meters i would have been in front of the entire enemy team to shoot at me.

Ah, yes I see you said that once after I started (between rounds) to respond. Of course as my original post should have made clear I was speaking generally. To be clear I'm not picking on your play style as I don't know you. Just speaking to the average things that I see.

Edited by Sorbic, 23 March 2016 - 09:20 PM.

#25 crustydog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:15 PM

As a general rule, it is not a good idea to face hug the enemy, because it prevents your teammates from helping you with the kill.

From a defense standpoint, especially if fighting multiple opponents, it is a great move to get one opponent to block the attacks of the others. The same is done in real fighting as well.

This blocked shot complaint, however - nobody has eyes on the back of their mech - it is often difficult, if not impossible, to determine exactly when you are blocking a shot or not - it happens all the time, and that is just the luck of the draw - there are few if any grounds to legitimately complain about it. If you can't hit your target, move to where you can.

If you can't keep up - drive faster mechs.

Remember - nobody said you had any rights to any shot - stop pretending you do. Learn how to hit the moving enemies without hitting the moving friendlies on the field. That is what you are expected to do. If you cannot do that, the fault is entirely your own.

#26 SplashDown

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 399 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:21 PM

View PostTarogato, on 23 March 2016 - 05:54 PM, said:

FYI, we can't always see that we're about to block somebody's shot. Battlefield is hectic, there's a lot going on and a lot to keep track of... the light probably didn't even know you were there and was just trying his best to get shots on the enemy in any way he could.

Actuly you can its called situationel awareness OR to use the ancient term of our fore fathers..PAYING ATTENTION!
There is this lil thing called a mini map..the game even provides torso twisting as a back up.
These things do work..PGI even put these methods threw the paces...used crash test dummies and everything.

Edited by SplashDown, 23 March 2016 - 11:23 PM.

#27 kesmai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:30 PM

A wise man once told me wasd are my friends. Instead i grew roots and became a turret.

#28 thehiddenedge

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 326 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:27 AM

Sounds to me like the light was doing his job. Getting behind assaults and shooting them in the back. I honestly doubt he saw you fire and thought to himself "oh boy, I'm gonna block this guy and totally get this free kill." Despite what people think, personal kills don't mean **** in this game.

View PostSplashDown, on 23 March 2016 - 11:21 PM, said:

Actuly you can its called situationel awareness OR to use the ancient term of our fore fathers..PAYING ATTENTION!
There is this lil thing called a mini map..the game even provides torso twisting as a back up.
These things do work..PGI even put these methods threw the paces...used crash test dummies and everything.

One caveat you fail to mention is that the minimap does not show where friendlies are aiming. Their arrows only show the direction of their legs. While you can decide generally that they are one and the same, that is not always the case. Having to twist back to look where your teammates are aiming while brawling with an enemy sounds like a really good way to expose your back to enemy fire. It's much more prudent to trust that your teammates won't shoot through you to get to the enemy and work to get their own shots. Subsequently, if you're a competent brawler and not standing still like a turret, you will actually be giving your teammates open shots when the enemy turns to engage you.

We all know situational awareness is important, but on a typical battlefield firing lanes are constantly changing. When it's your job to run through the enemy lines to cause confusion and not die in the attempt there's really only one type of fire you should be worried about dodging. Is it that far fetched of an idea to expect your teammates not to shoot you?

#29 Random Carnage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 946 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:29 AM

Just pot the lights leg. You don't take much FF penalty, no TK penalty, and the reds generally take care of the rest in short order. It generally doesn't happen often enough to build into any significant penalty, but removes a problem when necessary.

I'll usually give them one for free, in case it was a genuine mistake. If a light can't see that they've just co*k blocked a Dire, they should be more aware. It's far easier for them to move out of my way than for me to move out of theirs.

If it happens a second time, I won't go out of my way to accommodate them. If no real harm is done, I'll tend to let it slide. If they're drawing fire on me, and trading fire with something that is beginning to hurt, I'll fire through them regardless to eliminate the threat. What happens to the light in the meantime is largely irrelevant. If lights ever gave a damn about their Assaults, I might care more. There are some exceptions, but they are usually smart enough not to put themselves in front of an Assault to begin with.

#30 Random Carnage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 946 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:35 AM

View PostSorbic, on 23 March 2016 - 08:46 PM, said:

Another clown who doesn't know what an Assaults role is.

#31 Eboli

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:48 AM

Hmm, assault pilots cry blue murder that they get left behind and that the lights are not looking after them yet threaten to blow them out of the way if they ever, ever block their shot...

This type of attitude just gives light players a view that at worst just leave assaults alone, for better or worse. Team play runs both ways...

#32 Jeffrey Wilder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:54 AM

View PostTripzter, on 23 March 2016 - 05:50 PM, said:

I've had this tons of times. Greedy monkeys blocking shots so they can shoot their 2 small pulse lasers at the enemy. The new policy just made it so much more annoying.

Example.. just lost a game where the enemy king crab was looking the other way. I had a clear shot at his back as he was turning around and i was shooting at him. 2 seconds later a little scrub in a light decides to block my shot so he can pew pew his SMALL pulse lasers at a target thats 400 meters away. Long story short the king crab turns around fires his lasers, kills the light and then kills me since i was open ct at that point and then manages to kill 5 more people winning the game for the enemy team.

The best game I had this event was in a light!

I was trying to help out a newbie Jagermech that was being circled by an enemy light. Guess what happen? He turns around (away from the enemy light) and killed me.

These days, I use my ECM on myself, far away from noobs.

#33 Random Carnage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 946 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 24 March 2016 - 02:00 AM

View PostEboli, on 24 March 2016 - 01:48 AM, said:

Hmm, assault pilots cry blue murder that they get left behind and that the lights are not looking after them yet threaten to blow them out of the way if they ever, ever block their shot...

This type of attitude just gives light players a view that at worst just leave assaults alone, for better or worse. Team play runs both ways...

Nice try.

Assaults do usually get left behind.

We're not talking about a light who happens to cross a firing line while supporting an Assault, we're talking about the little sh*ts who deliberately park in front of us, blocking a firing line that has been in use prior to the light showing up. There is a difference.

I notice it in a Dire because my mobility is insanely compromised. I cannot just re-position easily to accommodate a light who decides that their fire is more effective than mine in a given firing line.

I have no real issue with the odd error. It happens. My issue is with lights that deliberately and/or repeatedly block.

#34 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 24 March 2016 - 06:34 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 23 March 2016 - 07:23 PM, said:

What? So the SPL lights should hide in the back behind the assaults?

Yeah, it's annoying, but most times that light isn't going to see your fire in the first place because he's looking at his target and moving sideways. He's not deliberately blocking your shot. He's not being greedy. He's just trying to do his job.

I sympathise with you completely, OP, as I'm primarily an Assault pilot. It's really irritating when someone much faster daets in front of you and stops, forcing your to laboriously reposition, but they're not doing it maliciously.

Well, except in leaderboard events. Things go way downhill in leaderboard events.

Meh. Most days I'd kill to have a lighter mech occasionally jump in front my assault, because it actually happens so infrequently.

#35 Roughneck Cobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 462 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 24 March 2016 - 06:40 AM

Ive had this ALOT since the steam players showed up and some I can accept as innocent "Oops, didnt see you there, wasnt checking my Minimap" but when Im T2 and know Im surrounded by T3 and above players, the excuses run dry.

My solution now? I will rip your backside open and then tell you, "Oh, sorry, that Alpha was for the Mech you just blocked me from killing."

Honestly, report me freely for this action as it probably violates the CoC or whatnot for admitting I will friendly fire in this particular situation, but to the mod that would read this under a report must surely understand its become a bigger problem across the tiers and people ARE doing it to steal a kill, for whatever reason (KD stats on the mech?) to the point I, as a genuine good of heart player who didnt use to mind the odd mech diving infront of me intent to kill steal or get the final blow, whatever you wish call it, to someone whose witnessing it multiple times per game, by 2-3 people.

Its hard to tell if its accidental rubbish area awareness, but its becoming more frequent to the point I dont believe it is anymore, its just greedy little smegs.

Edited by Stryker Ezekiel, 24 March 2016 - 06:41 AM.

#36 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 24 March 2016 - 06:48 AM

The only real issue I have with lights is that there are a lot of players who are completely incapable of directing the enemies' attention effectively. So you end up with things like lights running out to poke just ahead of an assault that just committed to a move, instead of finding a different angle so the enemy won't all be looking directly at the assault when he makes contact.
Good light pilots harass from wherever their main force isn't so they can more effectively distract the enemy, but still manage to stay close enough that they can quickly get backup when something comes for them.

#37 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:23 AM

The issue would be corrected if we had randomized spawn points and multiple weight classes in each lance. Lance combat should be forced, not this team grouping ********!

#38 Beaching Betty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 710 posts
  • Location-

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:38 AM

"then manages to kill 5 more people winning the game for the enemy team." LEL

Such a noob team you have there or are you just making up cr@%

#39 TheNef

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:40 AM

The thing is it goes the other way, many a time I've seen assaults wade in when a few lights are killing an enemy mech and they shoot through their own lights to "kill steal" as you call it. Tis just the nature of the game and I think you should do whatever you want to make you feel better. QQ'ing here ain't gonna change a thing unless its for cathartic reasons.

#40 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:47 AM

If you're looking for sympathy you will find it in the dictionary between s*** and syphilis.

Edited by Escef, 24 March 2016 - 08:52 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users