Pgi, Fix The Random Disconnects. Thanks.

10 replies to this topic

#1 Alardus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 399 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 02:44 PM

This has been happening far too frequently. In the last week its probably done about 1/6th of the games I've been in, immediately hit rejoin and get right back in but now Im half dead with no weapons.

So fun.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 23 March 2016 - 03:50 AM

Were you tabbed out during the game loading? It crashes in some cases if you tab out on maps that start with dropships.

#3 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 23 March 2016 - 05:39 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 23 March 2016 - 03:50 AM, said:

Were you tabbed out during the game loading? It crashes in some cases if you tab out on maps that start with dropships.

Is this only during full screen mode? I used to get crashes, but then switched to full window and have had no major issue since

#4 NoiseCrypt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 596 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 23 March 2016 - 05:43 AM

View PostAlardus, on 22 March 2016 - 02:44 PM, said:

This has been happening far too frequently. In the last week its probably done about 1/6th of the games I've been in, immediately hit rejoin and get right back in but now Im half dead with no weapons.

So fun.

Please state your potato and means of usage... "something doesn't work.. fix it..." is the most useless request ever...

Even better... random issue should be solved with random troubleshooting...

What color thermal-paste do you use between your CPU and its cooler-element ?

Edited by NoiseCrypt, 23 March 2016 - 05:46 AM.

#5 NeoCodex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 799 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 05:48 AM

Every now and then a thread like this pops out. I have this information saved to share. It helps out in most cases.

MAIN FIX: Applying the following NTI tweak should resolve the disconnect issue in most cases, but you can try the others bellow as well. Changing this one value completely fixed the random disconnects in MWO I randomly got once or twice per hour:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion > Multimedia > SystemProfile > NetworkThrottlingIndex

Replace the Value Data with "ffffffff"

Explanation: Windows implements a network throttling mechanism to restrict the processing of non-multimedia network traffic to 10 packets per millisecond (a bit over 100 Mbits/second). The idea behind such throttling is that processing of network packets can be a resource-intensive task, and it may need to be throttled to give prioritized CPU access to multimedia programs. In some cases, such as Gigabit networks and some online games, for example, it is beneficial to turn off such throttling all together for achieving maximum throughput.

DWORD, default: 10, valid range: 1 through 70 decimal or ffffffff to completely disable throttling. Recommended: 10 for media sharing, ffffffff for gaming and max throughput,

Additional tweaks

• Disable Nagle's Algorithm
This tweak works with all versions of Windows from Windows XP to Windows 8.1/10.

Nagle's algorithm is designed to allow several small packets to be combined together into a single, larger packet for more efficient transmissions. While this improves throughput efficiency and reduces TCP/IP header overhead, it also briefly delays transmission of small packets. Disabling "nagling" can help reduce latency/ping in some games. Keep in mind that disabling Nagle's algorithm may also have some negative effect on file transfers. Nagle's algorithm is enabled in Windows by default. To implement this tweak and disable Nagle's algorithm, modify the following registry keys:
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{NIC-id}

There will be multiple NIC interfaces listed there, for example: {1660430C-B14A-4AC2-8F83-B653E83E8297}. Find the correct one with your IP address listed. Under this {NIC-id} key, create a new DWORD value:

"TcpAckFrequency"=1 (DWORD value, not present by default interpreted as 2, 1=disable nagling, specifies number of outstanding ACKs before ignoring delayed ACK timer). For gaming performance, recommended is 1 (disable). For pure throughput and data streaming, you can experiment with small values over 2. Wifi performance may see a slight improvement with disabled TcpAckFrequency as well

In the same location, add a new DWORD value:[/color]

TCPNoDelay=1 (DWORD, not present by default, 0 to enable Nagle's algorithm, 1 to disable)

To configure the ACK interval timeout (only has effect if nagling is enabled), find the following key

TcpDelAckTicks=0 (DWORD value, not present by default interpreted as 2, 0=disable nagling, 1-6=100-600 ms). Note you can also set this to 1 to reduce the nagle effect from the default of 200ms without disabling it.[/color]

For Server Operating Systems that have Microsoft Message Queuing (MSMQ) installed, or if you have the MSMQ registry hive present, also add TCPNoDelay to:
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSMQ\Parameters

TCPNoDelay=1 (DWORD, not present by default, 0 to enable Nagle's algorithm, 1 to disable)

Note: Reportedly, disabling Nagle's algorithm can reduce the latency in many MMOs by almost half! Yes, it works with Windows 7 and Windows 8.[/color]

System Responsiveness Gaming Tweak

Exists in all versions of Windows from Vista to 8.1/10.

Multimedia applications use the "Multimedia Class Scheduler" service (MMCSS) to ensure prioritized access to CPU resources, without denying CPU resources to lower-priority background applications. This reserves 20% of CPU by default for background processes, your multimedia streaming and some games can only utilize up to 80% of the CPU. This setting, in combination with the "NetworkThrottlingIndex" can help some games and video streaming. Recommend to reduce the reserved CPU for background processes from the default of 20%.
  • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile]
"SystemResponsiveness"=dword:00000000 (default: 20, recommended: decimal 10 for general applications, 0 for pure gaming/streaming)

More Gaming Tweaks

In the same Registry hive as the above two tweaks, you can also change the priority of Games, compared to other types of traffic:[/color]
  • [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\Tasks\Games]
"Scheduling Category"="High" (default: "Medium", recommended: "High")

"SFIO Priority"="High" (default: "Normal", recommended: "High")
"Background Only"="False" (default: "False", recommended: "False")
"Priority"=dword:00000001 (default: 2, recommended: 1)
"Clock Rate"=dword:00002710 (default: 2710, recommended: 2710)
"GPU Priority"=dword:00000001 (default: 2, recommended: 1)
"Affinity"=dword:00000000 (default: 0, recommended: 0)

Some players also tried and suggesting changing their DNS to something like google 8.8.8.8. Specificaly for me, this made things worse; particulary for the web browsing. So I advise against changing your DNS, unless your current one is really, really crappy. In most cases, you should keep using your default ISP ones because those are mostly pretty well optimised for your location, unless you have a really horrible ISP those are ussualy the most reliable.

But anyway, if you apply the first tweaks or all of them you should get rid of your DC problems, if not that it has to be a hardware failure, but I'm pretty sure it's on the software side that can be fixed with these changes (it worked for me and also reduced ping by a bit).

Edited by NeoCodex, 23 March 2016 - 05:49 AM.

#6 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,070 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 05:51 AM

i think the potatoes in the server room need more tin foil.

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 23 March 2016 - 05:53 AM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 23 March 2016 - 05:39 AM, said:

Is this only during full screen mode? I used to get crashes, but then switched to full window and have had no major issue since

On full screen mode. I do not use full window mode because it is supposed to be more taxing on the PC.

#8 NeoCodex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 799 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 06:18 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 23 March 2016 - 05:53 AM, said:

On full screen mode. I do not use full window mode because it is supposed to be more taxing on the PC.

Only if you are running several games at once, yes. Otherwise, it makes no difference unless you're running on a potato with 4GB RAM and a dated GPU. Fullscreen mode is a relic that should be removed from DirectX/Windows.

There really is no reason not to run borderless window unless you never alt-tab out of the game - I do all the time between matches and running FS would take so much longer for loading and unloading render back and forth the the memory. Pointless.

Edited by NeoCodex, 23 March 2016 - 06:21 AM.

#9 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 23 March 2016 - 06:43 AM

View PostNoiseCrypt, on 23 March 2016 - 05:43 AM, said:

Please state your potato and means of usage... "something doesn't work.. fix it..." is the most useless request ever...

Even better... random issue should be solved with random troubleshooting...

What color thermal-paste do you use between your CPU and its cooler-element ?

Actually as a computer repair guy i love those problems. Probably because I charge by the hour and if they can't be arsed to give me details well... I have to throw **** at the wall until something sticks and who knows how long that'll take. Posted Image

Still better than people who want to help...

#10 Damia Savon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 608 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 23 March 2016 - 10:22 AM

View PostAlardus, on 22 March 2016 - 02:44 PM, said:

So fun.

Did you put in a support ticket? The support folks are pretty helpful and may be able to figure out what you are DCing so much.

Since there are not a ton of posts complaining of the issue it is probably something on your PC, Network or provider rather than something on PGI's end. Then again, who knows.

Good luck. I hate DCing during a game.

#11 NeoCodex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 799 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 05:25 AM

I sent the support ticket about this and they helped me out with the network throttling index, then I researched a bit further on what it is and why it helped, so I found and added all those registry tweaks in the post above.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users