Need Run Heavy To Win

23 replies to this topic

#1 Chuck Jager

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 10:11 PM

Over the last couple of weeks my win rate goes down very quickly if I do not run a heavy with a try hard load out.

I am not the best player, but it feels like I am the only person who has done any aggressive play on my team. Is this a MM situation where the other team get the same average but they are closer in value, and I am stuck driving the short yellow bus.

I will watch the other team move in and my team run in the other direction. I have no problem stepping up, but if folks are running backwards while maybe chain firing it may be time to get another game. OR do I need to start another t5 farm account, because at least I may be able to play the mechs I like. $20 bucks gets a set of good mechs and the cadet bonus get me the modules and MM will see me as a new player in the average.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 23 March 2016 - 10:17 PM

I'm doing just fine with the DoA Archers in T1. Just play what you like. Compared to the immense challenge I faced back in last year, current T1 is diluted with less than capable pilots, much less T2.

Use the VOIP and bark out orders. Works better than chat, since players tend to think the guy who is sending clear and concise commands over the mic is a guy who knows what to do.

Edited by El Bandito, 23 March 2016 - 10:26 PM.

#3 Chuck Jager

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 10:26 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 23 March 2016 - 10:17 PM, said:

I'm doing just fine with the DoA Archers in T1. Just play what you like. Compared to the immense challenge I faced back in last year, current T1 is diluted with less than capable pilots, much less T2.

I think t1 is gonna be better. T2 is balancing the new steam players in t-4, while the opposing team may be all t3s. My waits are real short but the teams are very poor compared to when the PSR was implemented. I do not know if this is just imagination or a weird mix of new players moving up quickly and alt accounts messing with the MM.

Edited by Chuck Jager, 23 March 2016 - 10:37 PM.

#4 Anunknownlurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 362 posts
  • LocationBetween here and there

Posted 23 March 2016 - 10:31 PM

Play what you like.
Play as you like
Don't worry about winning or losing.
PSR is meaningless as anything other than a matchmaker and experience bar (damn, I'm in tier 2 and I'm average at best)
Stats mean nothing.
This is a PC game, its only purpose is to provide entertainment.

There are 23 other players in every game (afks excluded of course) and there is only so much any individual can do to affect the course of a battle; winning/losing is pretty much random and, more often than not, out of your hands. Of course, if you are piloting a tough, heavily armoured, heavily armed mech you are more likely to affect the outcome and are less dependent on how the rest of your team plays; but, like many others, I have had a major impact in an urbanmech (700 damage and 5 kills in my best game). Did I "win" the battle? Possibly not but I certainly had a effect on the result.

That being said, a TEAM that COMMUNICATES will almost certainly win against a group of players silently shooting mechs,

Peace

#5 Chuck Jager

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 10:38 PM

View PostJimmy DiGriz, on 23 March 2016 - 10:31 PM, said:

Play what you like.
Play as you like
Don't worry about winning or losing.
PSR is meaningless as anything other than a matchmaker and experience bar (damn, I'm in tier 2 and I'm average at best)
Stats mean nothing.
This is a PC game, its only purpose is to provide entertainment.

If I play what I want the game is poor at best and not entertaining. I have played in group Q and used to use solo to play the fun stuff, but now the MM is reversed for this.

#6 Anunknownlurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 362 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:20 PM

@Chuck Jager - fair enough. Sorry to hear you are finding MWO tough to enjoy at the moment. Maybe group queue is the way to go? At least you can have fun playing with friends.

Peace

#7 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:22 PM

See chuck, this game is competitive. You compete with other players. As you are only 1/12th of the reason you lose you shouldn't worry too much. Instead of insisting to play the way you want it, the game forces you sometimes to adapt and overcome old habits and preferences.

mediums can still be played, just think about how to counter your biggest errors and the momentary playstyle/meta. This is a part of the fun.
take me for an example. I'm a slow learner when it comes to changing habits, like leading charges in mechs that are completely not built for such endeavors.
it can also be quite frustrating when you are used to have good results in the group queue and go back to solo. Just don't let it frustrate you.

#8 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 March 2016 - 12:14 AM

edit: spoiler'd because dubious method, incorrect conclusion:
Spoiler

Edited by Tarogato, 24 March 2016 - 01:28 AM.

#9 KinLuu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 12:41 AM

View PostTarogato, on 24 March 2016 - 12:14 AM, said:

Dead even trend line - each of my weight classes have the same average win rate.

Your assaults are way below the trend.

#10 Digital Pseudonym

• PipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 12:57 AM

My Sainted aunt Bettie . . .
You guys worry far too much about winning . . .
to make a fudging graph . . .
Heavens to Betsie go out side get a girl friend / boy friend . . . go have a meal... go have sex ...stop worrying so much about a game.

#11 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:19 AM

View PostDigital Pseudonym, on 24 March 2016 - 12:57 AM, said:

My Sainted aunt Bettie . . .
You guys worry far too much about winning . . .
to make a fudging graph . . .
Heavens to Betsie go out side get a girl friend / boy friend . . . go have a meal... go have sex ...stop worrying so much about a game.

I have a beautiful wife and she makes me the best tasting meals of my life, but I still worry about getting to Diamond in LoL. ;)

#12 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:27 AM

View PostKinLuu, on 24 March 2016 - 12:41 AM, said:

Your assaults are way below the trend.

I guess trend is a ****** way to do it, you're right. Meh. Okay, let's do this the right way, then...

Posted Image

Hmm, tells a different story, you're right.

I concede, heavy mechs OP. Don't let Alardus in here.

#13 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:48 AM

View PostChuck Jager, on 23 March 2016 - 10:11 PM, said:

Over the last couple of weeks my win rate goes down very quickly if I do not run a heavy with a try hard load out.

I am not the best player, but it feels like I am the only person who has done any aggressive play on my team. Is this a MM situation where the other team get the same average but they are closer in value, and I am stuck driving the short yellow bus.

I will watch the other team move in and my team run in the other direction. I have no problem stepping up, but if folks are running backwards while maybe chain firing it may be time to get another game. OR do I need to start another t5 farm account, because at least I may be able to play the mechs I like. $20 bucks gets a set of good mechs and the cadet bonus get me the modules and MM will see me as a new player in the average.

Somehow T2 seems to be kind of a sh***y place to be. And yes, I suspect PGI is still using their old MM algo of padding higher tier players with lower tier players.

A team of 12 average players is going to cream a team of 4 top players with 8 beginners. But MM seems to think the 4 guys can carry harder.

Back in T3, even in a loss, you could get a good game going. Now it's just 4-5 guys standing in the back staring at walls, hoping the big bad mechs throwing missiles and lasers at them would go away if they just stayed there long enough.

#14 PyckenZot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 870 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAnderlecht, Belgium

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:57 AM

It is very simple, you are 1/12th of your team and so is every player.

You can bring whatever mech you like to the drop. It still is a game and you should be dropping to have fun. Of course, if having fun means winning, then you have to take into account that for every "bad" mech and/or pilot in the drop, someone will have to compensate. Similarly, playing a good mech and/or pilot you will need to compensate for the underperforming ones. With or without PSR, MWO (and every single one of the online team shooters) is a lottery. Your try-hard TBR can be put into a team of lurmers and trashcans. Not the best odds for winning. And again, the inverse can happen.

Most of these posts are due to people being focussed on the PSR arrow and K/D ratings rather than having fun. For those the answer is simple. Get into a group, play 12-mans and see how good you truly are in teambased playing.

Otherwise, with all the best thoughts possible, please stop whining and just enjoy blowing Big Stompy Robots up.

Edited by PyckenZot, 24 March 2016 - 01:59 AM.

#15 thehiddenedge

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 326 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 02:22 AM

It's funny how many lights and mediums I see getting the best match score and essentially winning the game by using distraction tactics on the enemy team.

Yeah meta heavies are easy to do well in, but there are many more viable choices out there if you take the time to adapt to a different play style.

I was always someone who hated lurms, just could never get the hang of them . Somebody gifted me an Archer pack and i refused to run splat builds in them because I'm one of those crazy guys who care about the lore. I did terrible at first, but now that I understand the play style a bit better, I've been averaging about 500 damage with a couple KMDD's. Not carry-worthy performance, but a solid part of the team.

#16 Lynx7725

• 1,710 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 02:27 AM

View Postthehiddenedge, on 24 March 2016 - 02:22 AM, said:

I was always someone who hated lurms, just could never get the hang of them . Somebody gifted me an Archer pack and i refused to run splat builds in them because I'm one of those crazy guys who care about the lore. I did terrible at first, but now that I understand the play style a bit better, I've been averaging about 500 damage with a couple KMDD's. Not carry-worthy performance, but a solid part of the team.

You can try medium LRM boats such as the Hunchback. Those have a good blend of LRM firepower with speed, and can be good with light harassment tactics. Lots of opportunities to do flank shots (and pile up the match points), with the mobility to match.

#17 TheCharlatan

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 02:30 AM

View PostTarogato, on 24 March 2016 - 01:27 AM, said:

I guess trend is a ****** way to do it, you're right. Meh. Okay, let's do this the right way, then...

Posted Image

Hmm, tells a different story, you're right.

I concede, heavy mechs OP. Don't let Alardus in here.

They really need to nerf those Commandos/Myst Lynxes... Posted Image

Edit: and... Awesomes?

Edited by TheCharlatan, 24 March 2016 - 02:30 AM.

#18 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 24 March 2016 - 02:31 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 23 March 2016 - 10:17 PM, said:

Exactly! Afterall I am almost T2, so you know that is true :D

#19 Anunknownlurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 362 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:44 AM

It's been said before and it's worth re-stating - play enough games, win enough games, don't suck....we will all get to tier 1 no matter your skill.

#20 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:46 AM

Solaris 1 vs 1 means no one has to carry and no one gets carried. Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users