Hunting From The Dark, The Eater Of The Dead, Devourer Of Souls....

52 replies to this topic

#41 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 06:31 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 25 March 2016 - 01:38 PM, said:

the JA-KL-1532-Jackal

Found it. I'm working a generation or two back in terms of 3D models (so PS2-quality since I'm building a 'lot' of models). So it won't be this impressive, but you'll be seeing them move too, so yeah. Heh.

#42 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:16 AM

View PostKoniving, on 19 April 2016 - 06:31 AM, said:

Found it. I'm working a generation or two back in terms of 3D models (so PS2-quality since I'm building a 'lot' of models). So it won't be this impressive, but you'll be seeing them move too, so yeah. Heh.

Sweet. Should be fun. You'll see this one moving too, but since it's a hobby project, things take time in between IRL. Kiriage is still doing the texture mapping, tweaking details. But the rigging and animation he did for my old King Crab is impressive.

#43 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:40 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 26 March 2016 - 07:33 PM, said:

I'd be curious to get a closer look at that hidden hip joint, personally.

ask and ye shall receive (eventually)
Posted Image
Sneak peak of the hidden hip in action

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 19 April 2016 - 07:45 AM.

#44 GonaDie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationThe biggest party you have ever seen

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:10 AM

How does that work?

#45 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:18 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 April 2016 - 07:16 AM, said:

Sweet. Should be fun. You'll see this one moving too, but since it's a hobby project, things take time in between IRL. Kiriage is still doing the texture mapping, tweaking details. But the rigging and animation he did for my old King Crab is impressive.

Replicating concept art is pretty easy though time consuming; in fact the less complex it is the more time consuming it seems to be which baffles me. Probably due to the need to 'insert' details as the imagination gets too wild with less detail.

(Random concept art I found back in 2004)
Spoiler

My textures will pretty much be non-existent. I'll need to source 'em out. UV mapping is easy, the texture work is a bit like digital painting, not as easy as one might like and I suck at "borrowing" textures and making them work.
Spoiler

This S.A.W. (Squad Automatic Weapon) was based loosely on 5 seconds or so of watching some movie called uh... Something about marines on a ship and some sort of squid monster. I saw this thing firing and was like "Must have." The sound of it, the way the barrels spun, all of it screamed "You'll use this someday."
Spoiler

So I should certainly have a fun time with weapon system appearances. Which I'll need to because the project almost finished is this:
Posted Image

I've stayed true to everything, even the weird way the arms are sloped so that their convergence is tighter as you go up and wider as you go down (seems like it'd really be useful if trying to use its lasers against infantry) ...but the legs. Hydraulics? No, no no no no. Myomers are muscles and it simply can't do. Not to mention it only pivots on a single axis for all of the joints, running/walking/balancing is practically impossible. So that thread I mentioned I'd start calls for both cockpit interior layout concepts (welcoming things as simple as 'noun on location') as well as for some leg redesign ideas that keep with the look this mech has. (As mentioned I'd be doing many versions of each mech and the intention for some is to have 'pick and choose' parts and for others to have different visual versions so that newer generations of variants look 'newer' than older ones.)

The planned post, minus the pretty much empty 3D interior or other images (Wings 3D is not cooperating with allowing me to view the interior with a wide enough FOV and my other program literally simplifies 3D objects to 'blocks' with heavily overcreased hard edges. And Max... my trial expired. I generally had mixed feelings on Max anyway.

Spoiler

#46 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:46 AM

View PostKoniving, on 19 April 2016 - 09:18 AM, said:

Replicating concept art is pretty easy though time consuming; in fact the less complex it is the more time consuming it seems to be which baffles me. Probably due to the need to 'insert' details as the imagination gets too wild with less detail.

(Random concept art I found back in 2004)
Spoiler

My textures will pretty much be non-existent. I'll need to source 'em out. UV mapping is easy, the texture work is a bit like digital painting, not as easy as one might like and I suck at "borrowing" textures and making them work.
Spoiler

This S.A.W. (Squad Automatic Weapon) was based loosely on 5 seconds or so of watching some movie called uh... Something about marines on a ship and some sort of squid monster. I saw this thing firing and was like "Must have." The sound of it, the way the barrels spun, all of it screamed "You'll use this someday."
Spoiler

So I should certainly have a fun time with weapon system appearances. Which I'll need to because the project almost finished is this:
Posted Image

I've stayed true to everything, even the weird way the arms are sloped so that their convergence is tighter as you go up and wider as you go down (seems like it'd really be useful if trying to use its lasers against infantry) ...but the legs. Hydraulics? No, no no no no. Myomers are muscles and it simply can't do. Not to mention it only pivots on a single axis for all of the joints, running/walking/balancing is practically impossible. So that thread I mentioned I'd start calls for both cockpit interior layout concepts (welcoming things as simple as 'noun on location') as well as for some leg redesign ideas that keep with the look this mech has. (As mentioned I'd be doing many versions of each mech and the intention for some is to have 'pick and choose' parts and for others to have different visual versions so that newer generations of variants look 'newer' than older ones.)

The planned post, minus the pretty much empty 3D interior or other images (Wings 3D is not cooperating with allowing me to view the interior with a wide enough FOV and my other program literally simplifies 3D objects to 'blocks' with heavily overcreased hard edges. And Max... my trial expired. I generally had mixed feelings on Max anyway.

Spoiler

I think the Flea is a GREAT candidate for the Bishop/Kiriage Hip.

If you want I'll see if I can slap some concept work for it today (all the joint's use a slight ball joint type design ot give skeletal play for the myomer muscles, though myomers don't totally rule out hydraulics especially in legs, it's just that they would be functionally there solely as shock absorbers.

But for a brief idea, look to the original inspiration of the Flea
Posted Image
which is my inspiration for the Jackals hip.

View PostGonaDie, on 19 April 2016 - 08:10 AM, said:

How does that work?

very well, actually, you can get a little bit of the idea from the ATST in my reply to Koniving. When kiriage gets a chance to pose and play with animations some more it'll be more apparent.

#47 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:29 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 April 2016 - 09:46 AM, said:

I think the Flea is a GREAT candidate for the Bishop/Kiriage Hip.

But for a brief idea, look to the original inspiration of the Flea
Posted Image
which is my inspiration for the Jackals hip.

Had this concept last year though never thought to apply it to the Flea; mine was instead for an original Mech design called the Nin Kei, a SecurityMech (which started at 15 tons but later got bumped to 20 tons due to a number of flaws with design and the desire for most versions to run an I.C.E. or Fuel Cell with only one variant making the shift to Fusion Engine.) Its leg design originally had Ed 209 (classic) for a base then was given two versions, one with 'long' hips (would actually be the thighs and it'd be Cicada-like in terms of lengths between actuators but still a similar standing position) and the other more AT-ST though actually got the idea for both from a Bird I drew.

The AT-ST-like hip design won out.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Last image I made of the Nin Kei before losing steam for it (I got a bit farther but wasn't liking its looks; this is what I get for literally 'concept-art-as-I-build' rather than sketching it ahead of time; I'm much better at replicating things).

The reasoning for the leg design actually had to do with two abilities I wanted it to have. The first was to be able to step over fences in an urban environment and the other was to be able to make use of the tracks on its legs should an actuator or the muscles get damaged through the commercial-grade armor.

Edit: (Having looked at my Blackjack again, it turns out I'm working on Short Painter's Blackjack not Shimmering Swords').

Edited by Koniving, 19 April 2016 - 04:26 PM.

#48 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 09:17 PM

Necro time...because despite all of the distractions and other facts of IRL... it appears this is close to fruition.

Kiriage contacted me to say it's all but ready to 3D print.....

so now I'm curious if there is a market for it?

#49 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 09:23 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 18 April 2016 - 08:50 AM, said:

IMO it should get a PPC mount like the SHD-2K with 3 energy hardpoints in the upper shoulder. That would give some NICE potential.

I double down on this position with Light PPCs coming in.... though I have a feeling SN-PPCs will fit it better.

#50 Requiemking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:36 PM

I actually think the Jackal might be fairly nasty with a single HPPC in that RT mount.

#51 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 12:28 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 13 May 2017 - 07:36 PM, said:

I actually think the Jackal might be fairly nasty with a single HPPC in that RT mount.

It might could. Especially if a variant only has a single mount. hopefully the Hvy PPC won't be too heat to damage crippling in the MWO version, what with being 10 tons and 4 bloody crits, and still having a minimum range.

It better do 15 pinpoint, and tbh, to be worth taking over the SNPPC or C-ERPPC, it probably needs to have scaling minimum range damage or somethings. Yeah, it does 5 more pinpoint dmg, potentially than the clan PPC, but at twice the crits, 166% the mass, and with shorter range and a minimum range. It's paying a healthy tax to do what it does.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users