#81 Otto Cannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:30 AM

View Postsumdumfu, on 14 July 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

i don't know about that dude. if you're an expert and in fact know for sure then i defer to your expertise, but from what i've learned, sociopathy is something people are born with and is exhibited very early in development. self esteem is something that comes and goes, but i've heard numerous times from experts that 'you can't grow a conscience'. some people are just born without one. not all disorders stem from self-esteem issues; human psychology is not that simple.

You're right that it's not simple, low self esteem can be part of your personality if you're born with a genetic predisposition toward sociopathy or it can be inflicted by a neglectful or abusive family situation. Either way though I don't think I'd describe it as something that comes and goes. Everyone is born without a conscience too, as very young children we are all totally self-centered. In short though I'd say you are both 'right'. Nobody has the simple correct answer when it comes to these things.

Let's not get too serious here anyway, I think we can agree that cheating at games involving others makes you a giant pain in the rear regardless of your mental state. :)

#82 Belorion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:12 PM

View PostTabrin, on 14 July 2012 - 11:27 PM, said:

I'm surprised that there's four pages on this topic. It takes a cheater to understand a cheater. It's like trying to comprehend why the "Knock knock, Hello have you welcomed Jesus into your heart?" people don't get it when I tell them I'm not gay and don't have a Mexican boyfriend.

I don't think cheaters are hard to understand at all... in fact they are quite transparent. It is the person who doesn't cheat, that the cheaters don't understand.

#83 jlbdeath

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 79 posts
  • Locationvermont

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

i never cheated in an on line game but if the game has a single player mode different story. i will use an old game for an example ,mechwarrior 2. I just liked knowing i could make my mech do 200 kph or have unlimited ammo and armor. so the joy of going into the guts of a game is why some do it . by the way at 200 kph you splash all over when you hit a mountain no matter how much armor you have . funny as hell though. but to cheat in a live on line game is just crappy. the best thing to do is report it and hope some one does something.

#84 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

My daughter resently told me that she thought cheating in a video game was the unltimate sin while growing up, and that she would have rather cheated on a test at school than cheat in a video game.

Edited by Belorion, 16 July 2012 - 03:07 PM.

#85 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:49 AM

Define cheating. If you mean hacks, then you have to fight fire with fire. Only way to win that (without the ban hammer getting involved). Seen it myself (no I don't hack). Now, people say I cheat by going passive and using the zoom function to hit them even though they can't see me. THAT ISN'T CHEATING (for all the noobs out there). So yeah, for the going passive and zooming, get better, for hacks, you have to fight fire with fire (or fire with a big ban hammer).

Edited by DavidHurricane, 16 July 2012 - 07:50 AM.

#86 TripleHex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationOut of range of your weapons

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:48 PM

Eh, just listen to some Bobby McFerrin, and call it a day, OP.

#87 Powerferret

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 51 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:28 PM

Sometimes I don't mind cheaters. Sometimes it brings the rest of the players together against the cheater. I've played FFA games where everyone banned together against the guy using aimbots and stuff and we basically spawn camped him till he quit.

#88 aresfiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:55 PM

Hmm, my psychology is this

"I'm hit. Can I wipe it?"-.... Oh.... We're talking about in video games.

Normally, when I see cheaters the reason they do it is because they aren't good enough but need the self gratification of winning or need to make themselves feel better by having the door open to wipe it in people's faces about their kills.

#89 Kalenn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 206 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:11 PM

Sociopaths.

Not trolling, I'm entirely serious and my amateur interpretation of Wikipedia / the Internets says I know what I'm talking about. Someone who's cheating is expressly choosing to ignore the rules of whatever society he's participating in (MWO in this case). It's the real-world equivalent of stealing - taking something that one is not otherwise entitled to.

Given the server-side authentication as noted in this article, this should be less of an issue here, but wankers will always be wankers...

Edited by Kalenn, 16 July 2012 - 09:21 PM.

#90 Godhand

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationLazer Park, NY

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:12 PM

I'm actually getting sick of the holier-than-thou attitude prevalent in video games lately. As I've gotten old I find myself right back where I was as a teen; trying to follow the rules and engage multiple communities with a shiny happy disposition, but even when I am nice and sweet and follow the rules I somehow always wind up looking like the bad guy. So when it comes to cheating, I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't...if the community has nothing to offer me then I'm going to do whatever it takes to squeeze gratification out of a game. By any means necessary.

#91 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:31 AM

View PostGodhand, on 16 July 2012 - 09:12 PM, said:

I'm actually getting sick of the holier-than-thou attitude prevalent in video games lately. As I've gotten old I find myself right back where I was as a teen; trying to follow the rules and engage multiple communities with a shiny happy disposition, but even when I am nice and sweet and follow the rules I somehow always wind up looking like the bad guy. So when it comes to cheating, I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't...if the community has nothing to offer me then I'm going to do whatever it takes to squeeze gratification out of a game. By any means necessary.

There are plenty of others who follow the rules, and have a good disposition. I find that doing things "the right way" is gratifying in and of itself. I would rather lose a well fought match where everyone was trying their hardest that to steam roll a scrub trying to cheat.

#92 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:34 AM

I've... already given the indepth, psychological reasoning... why is this thread still going?

#93 Outrider01

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:48 AM

View PostGrugore, on 14 July 2012 - 09:21 AM, said:

I think you're the one who doesn't get it. This post is discussing people who hack games in order to gain an unfair advantage over other players, thus ruining the game for others. There are people who do it just to **** with people. I know this for a fact. They do it just because they like causing pain and misery to others. Competitive advantage is one thing, and your reasons for it may be accurate, but some people cheat just to make other people miserable.

No, I do get it. But take a step back and look...would you cheat at anything to win? The goal is to only win, doesn't matter what the result is so long as you win even if that result is making other people miserable as you put it. Let me put it this way, you challenge a friend to race and both take off; he runs the 5 miles and you run around the corner to hop into your car where you beat him (the advantage to win by using a vehicle). Regardless if that was against the rules, you make it to the finish line first by any means necessary...would you cheat to do it since there are no real repercusions then the fact you left your friend in in the dust? Thats pretty much what a cheater does, he doesn't care so long as he wins and will use any advantage to do so. Same thing in war and in game, so long as you win the ends justify the means to you personally...its the rules, morals and ethics that change the point of view between people.

#94 Dragonlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

I honestly do not understand this need people have to cheat.

I myself have no problem cheating if I play a SINGLE PLAYER game only against the computer.
I often do that after having beat the game without cheating just for the fun of it, and since nobody is gonna get hurt by it It dont see it as a problem.

However, if I play in a multiplayer game or MMO game where there are other real people I play aiagnst, then I am a stickler for rules you could say.
I could never get myself to cheat in a game where I play against other people, I get far more satisfaction from beating a difficult opponent in a fair fight than if I were to cheat.
And I would honestly feel bad if I were to beat another player by cheating, I just could not get myself to do it.
I honestly cant see the fun in winning if there is not challenge involved in doing so, but I guess some people just have to win for the sake of winning and nothing else.

Edited by Dragonlord, 18 July 2012 - 02:04 PM.

#95 kotya

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Odesa

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:28 AM

Oh.
How I hate those ppl.
I hope all those will be blocked preperly!!!

#96 Noesis

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:30 AM

Do I need to compensate for anything that I might find in this thread?

Would like to know before reading.

#97 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:30 PM

I don't cheat in games. Have found no need for it. One story to tell about cheating though...when I was a member of Clan Blood Spirit during one of the Planetary Leagues (NBT), We won handily against our opponents. So well did we play, the other team accused us of hacking. We didn't take the bait because, well, CBS pilots didn't cheat/hack - that was part of being CBS in a league for us - to be Kerensky's true Clan Blood Spirit. The other Clans and even a few of our IS opponents found out about the accusation and derided the losing team for a while? That was the one and only time. Some people cheat, yes, but not everybody bthat hands you your hat is cheating - they may just be that good. Hard to tell the difference, though.

#98 Ninjamoose

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 54 posts
  • LocationProbably in front of my computer.

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

As a guy who hacked the everliving daylights out of other games, for me it was mostly because of how easy it was.

#99 Bloody Moon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:51 AM

View Postkotya, on 10 May 2013 - 04:28 AM, said:

Oh.
How I hate those ppl.
I hope all those will be blocked preperly!!!

Nice Necro!

#100 Skoaljaw

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 126 posts
  • LocationAnywhere, USA

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:45 AM

I can sum it up in three words= Little {Godwin's Law} Syndrome. The need to cheat stems from the need to have power over others, no matter the cost. It satisfies the part of the brain that is not getting enough stimulation to it for what ever reason (genetics, parenting, socialization, nature vs nurture, etc). Its just another part of human nature that we've gotta deal with. Even though the psychology world has made incredible strides in understanding human behavior, we're still in the later half of our freshman year so-to-speak. The best way to get through it for the non-cheaters is to recognize that they (the cheaters) have issues that need to be addressed. In the digital age, the people that suffer from this have an avenue were they have nearly free reign to explore and exploit their troubled behavior. My personal opinion is that so long as they aren't causing any real physical or monetary harm and its only pixelated blood they spill, then just report 'em the best you can and penguin-skin that crap from your mind. Hope this sheds a little light on the subject.

Interesting- replace {Godwin's Law} with the name of the guy who ran Germany during World War 2 as it has been filtered out.

Edited by Skoaljaw, 05 June 2013 - 06:47 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users