- - - - -

Affordable (Cbills) Starter Mechs

30 replies to this topic

#1 Abel Enders

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 10:39 AM

I'm not a new player, but I have some friends who are. Recently they asked me what some affordable, mostly ready-to-play mechs were, and I couldn't give them many good answers.

What are some mechs that require minimal up-front investment to get them to a competitive loadout? They are only looking at mechs for cbills currently, and ideally wouldn't cost more than a couple extra million cbills to bring them up to speed.

Example: A mech that comes with a decent stock engine, and maybe has some extras like DHS or endosteel included.

#2 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:02 AM

Probably stock engine Blackjacks or Crabs.

#3 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:26 AM

Hunchback.
Most are very usuable with just some minor upgrades (DHS, Endo etc)

#4 Darwins Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:31 AM

Extras like DHS and ES are already included into the cbill cost of the mech, so one way or another they will have to buy them (DHS are required for essentially every mech to be competitive). Hunchbacks are pretty good choices, though most will do better with larger STD engines and ES. Thunderbolts make good heavies with STD engines.

#5 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:31 AM

@Boogie: I find the fifty tonners too slow with the stock 200. The 4P needs a bigger engine as does the 4SP. That leaves the 4G which is somewhat obsolete in the current meta and the 4J which has no problems whatsoever but is the only variant out of several of that chassis.

I think Centurions are better than Hunchbacks with a 200 STD but still underwhelming.

Edited by Spheroid, 31 March 2016 - 11:33 AM.

#6 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:35 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 31 March 2016 - 11:02 AM, said:

Probably stock engine Blackjacks or Crabs.

Blackjack 1X, comes with a std225 and can be upgraded with endo+DHS (Medium laser for flamer ofc) for a total of a little bit over 5,5 mil c-bills in total for a functional mech.

The other Jacks all come with a std180 i belief, nothing you would want to keep.

Crabs come with an std250 (the cheap ones, the other with xl250), with endo+DHS a crab can be obtained for a little under 6 mil c-bills.

Enforcer 4P comes with ferro, endo and DHS. It has a fully functional loadout with std250, 2 Medium lasers and an AC/20 for a mere 4 mil c-bills.

Hunchbacks can be made functional with about 7,5-8 mil c-bills and are very effective mechs, espcially the 4G, 4P, 4J

Thunderbolts, for example with 5SS, can be outfitted for a total of 7,5 mil c-bills for a really good IS heavy (keeping the std260 engine, no upgrades expect DHS) a bit slower then needed but definitely asskicking.

#7 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:42 AM

@Loaded: You don't have to keep the 180, but for ridge humping with AC or PPC its fine. BJ-1X of course is combat ready almost immediately.

Edited by Spheroid, 31 March 2016 - 08:34 PM.

#8 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:54 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 31 March 2016 - 11:42 AM, said:

@Loaded: Don't have to keep the 180 but for ridge humping with AC or PPC its fine. BJ-1X off course is combat ready almost immediately.

Yes, ofc, but changing the engine too would push them over 8 mil for a std engine and over 10 mil for an XL engine.

I think it's also worth mentioning, that, for lights, clans are actually cheaper (not general but effective).

An Arctic Cheetah for example goes for a bit over 8 mil fuly customized (6 small pulse + ecm) while the IS counterpart, the Firestarter S goes for over 10 mil c-bills (meta 5 MPL, XL 295).

Similar are kitfoxes, adder, raven, spider and jenner. The IS counterpart is roughly 2-3 mil c-bills more expensive thanks to the XL engine needed to make them work properly.

A Kitfox as ECM Large laser sniper for example is done for a mere 7 mil, while its counterpart, the Raven 3L, will book with a wooping 13 mil (upgrades + XL280).

OP might want to specify what kind of mech is wanted to narrow it down more easily?

Inner sphere, clan? lights, medium, heavy?
Energy? mixed? dakka dakka dakka? Lurmz?

Edited by LOADED, 31 March 2016 - 12:17 PM.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:44 PM

I.S.
50 tons:
hunchback. Any.
Xl stock enforcer.
Centurion cn9al.
Crab with dhs stock.

55 tons:
Wolverine 7k.
Shadowhawk 5m.
Griffin 3m.

65 tons: dhs thunderbolt, tanky with std engine.

70 tons: black knight and grasshopper. Dhs versions.

75 tons.
Orion std variants.
Marauder std variants.
Warhammer std variants.

Clan:
50 Nova. Hbk iic?
55 tons: don't. Bad habits.
65 tons: ebon jaguar and hellbringer: warn about armor!!!!
30 tons kitfox: good for team play.

Edited by Koniving, 31 March 2016 - 01:55 PM.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:52 PM

If speed demon: Locust or spider or urban mech. I'm serious.

#11 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 31 March 2016 - 02:32 PM

While there are many good recommendations above, I think you need to evaluate your friends' abilities in order to properly make a choice.

Generally, it takes some skill or an ability to learn very quickly to play a medium well enough to generate a decent amount of c-bills per match e.g. >100,000 c-bills as a beginner. Without that skill or ability, it becomes a major grind to earn c-bills to build up a stable of mechs.

A heavy which is more forgiving of mistakes and generally able to carry a bigger weapons loadout may be more suitable for average new players or those with higher latency or lower spec computers.

#12 Cptn Goodvibes Pig of Steel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 125 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 31 March 2016 - 02:32 PM

Just shell out, make the investment and buy Timberwolf's. Like many Clan mechs, they are ready and right to go straight from purchase. It's all you really need in MWO. They can pretty much do everything that you need to do in MWO. If your funds don't extend this far, then go with Stormcrow's. Speaking in retrospect from a number of years playing this game, I'd personally not bother with anything else. Save your time and money, both of these mechs are fast, formidable, strong, the top line runners in this game and worthy of the investment.

#13 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 03:03 PM

View PostCptn Goodvibes Pig of Steel, on 31 March 2016 - 02:32 PM, said:

I'd personally not bother with anything else. Save your time and money, both of these mechs are fast, formidable, strong, the top line runners in this game and worthy of the investment.

I would not recommend either of them for starter.
Both are exellent mechs, and that is a trap for newbies.
You will make yourself a prime target driving one. Combined with the newbie skill "getting in bad situations" you'll end up dead most of the time.
The stormcrow in particular spreads incoming damage so well just by running arround that the pilot won't develop the proper skill for brawling, shielding & tanking.

I asure you, if you take someone who started of with hunchbacks and thunderbolt and someone else who started with stormcrows and timberwolfs, the first person will be the better pilot in the end.

#14 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 03:22 PM

As weird as it is to say, I'd say Stormcrow or Arctic Cheetah. They're forgiving and relatively easy to use. And before you look at the price tag and say it's expensive, need I remind you that these actually come with pre-installed Clan DHS (no DHS tax = 1.5m saved), and pre-installed superior Clan XL engine (most IS mechs come with STD engines installed, which means you need to fork out another 4-5mil CBills just to get a reasonable loadout on them). The cost actually stacks up fairly well against IS mechs.

Not to mention that you don't need to buy a whole new mech to get different loadouts. Just switch out an OmniPod to get different hardpoints.

Edited by Fox With A Shotgun, 31 March 2016 - 03:23 PM.

#15 Abel Enders

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 04:05 PM

Wow, thanks everyone! Posted Image

View PostLOADED, on 31 March 2016 - 11:54 AM, said:

OP might want to specify what kind of mech is wanted to narrow it down more easily?

Inner sphere, clan? lights, medium, heavy?
Energy? mixed? dakka dakka dakka? Lurmz?

Between them, they seem to like most weapon types and play styles. Really, they both want just a greater variety in their mech choices. They're willing to put in a little work for it, but don't have much cash to spare (if they rarely do, mastery packs and early adopter for the extras). Chassis that are good 'n cheap in threes for mastery are a bonus. I don't think they have an IS/clan preference.

Really, the examples everyone has given are totally what I was looking for, and any more suggestions for low buy-in mechs that perform well are very appreciated!

Edited by Abel Enders, 31 March 2016 - 04:12 PM.

#16 Abel Enders

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 04:35 PM

View Postp4r4g0n, on 31 March 2016 - 02:32 PM, said:

While there are many good recommendations above, I think you need to evaluate your friends' abilities in order to properly make a choice.

Generally, it takes some skill or an ability to learn very quickly to play a medium well enough to generate a decent amount of c-bills per match e.g. >100,000 c-bills as a beginner. Without that skill or ability, it becomes a major grind to earn c-bills to build up a stable of mechs.

A heavy which is more forgiving of mistakes and generally able to carry a bigger weapons loadout may be more suitable for average new players or those with higher latency or lower spec computers.

For sure, but really in the end it's their choice... but I can make suggestions to them! They are both decent enough to make a little money grinding, but one of them really likes assaults so his grind has been going predictably slow. His next favorites are probably lights, but he dies sooo fast in them he can't be making much money at all. He seems to like some of the heavies too, so he probably should look closer at those.The other is pretty new but is at least a bit more consistent, and drives around her crabs and laser vomits mostly, but seems to like some of the bigger mechs, too. Both of them just want some ideas to give them some affordable variety, but not so much like "next mech to purchase" but rather "generally as their stable grows". So any suggestion that's a good value is a good idea, and is welcome Posted Image

#17 mikerso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 367 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 04:38 PM

Most are not gonna agree with this answe, but do not buy a mech that people say is forgiving. It will make you think all mech are forgiving. Go lights first, still affordable, but fragile. They will teach you valuable skills that translate to all weight classes.

#18 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 31 March 2016 - 04:48 PM

View PostKoniving, on 31 March 2016 - 01:44 PM, said:

Clan:

55 tons: don't. Bad habits.

Your'e fired! Posted Image

#19 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 31 March 2016 - 05:01 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 31 March 2016 - 11:31 AM, said:

@Boogie: I find the fifty tonners too slow with the stock 200. The 4P needs a bigger engine as does the 4SP. That leaves the 4G which is somewhat obsolete in the current meta and the 4J which has no problems whatsoever but is the only variant out of several of that chassis.

I think Centurions are better than Hunchbacks with a 200 STD but still underwhelming.

I dont completely disagree but by the time they notice that a bigger motor would benefit them they will have the cash to buy it,

The 4P is really the the only that needs to upgun the motor a bit (never messed with the SP). The G and H can be used just fine with the stock motor if used for more of a peek n poke role.

#20 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 05:31 PM

Yeah - I would say the Timbers and other heavies are forgiving, but if you are dropping in those mechs you often will be relied on to carry the team. Same in assaults - if you're going to get wrecked you can really hamstring a team. I think you will actually do worse if you take up that spot from someone who can obliterate people and let you run striker mode to their heavy platform.

Whereas one light or medium getting aced or doing mediocre (which is fine, you're learning the game) won't spell doom as much.

I vote for hunchbacks, wolverines. Enforcers and griffins seem to be good too. Blackjacks, too, but to hit some good playstyles you really need XL engines. Stormcrows are forgiving. Arctic cheetahs, jenners, and firestarters can all be pretty forgiving too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users