How To Banshee-3S?

14 replies to this topic

#1 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 712 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:02 PM

This is the last Banshee I've got on the way to eliting them, and it seems to be the worst one quirks- and hardpoints-wise. I've looked at all 3 suggested builds on Metamechs but didn't like either of them.

Then I proceeded to Li Song Mechlab loadout configurator and slapped together some builds:
  • 3xLPL + AC/20
  • 3xLPL + UAC/5 - I was looking at the AC/20 build right now, and realized it's probably not the best choice. UAC is much smaller and lighter, has better sustained DPS, and same burst damage. It allows for a few extra heatsinks, which is never a bad thing when you're boating LPLs, right?
  • ALRM20 + LPL + AC/20 - UAC is probably better here, too, but then I don't really have anything to use that freed up tonnage with, other than a bigger engine, or downgrade LPL to LL and add a 2nd LL in the RT...
  • They said I can boat anything, so I boated heatsinks - I actually have high hopes for this! There seems to be a thing with Banshees and STD heatsinks.
What are your thoughts on my builds? What are my mistakes, what can I do better? What BNC-3S builds can you suggest?

Note that I'm not looking for super meta builds, but I need a build that actually works and is fun to use.

P. S. Can you give me some general Banshee tips, while we're at it? I seem to be dying too fast in them. The mech looks like it can shield with arms, but I can never pull it off because of how slow it is. Usually, my center torso goes off first...

Edited by DavidStarr, 01 April 2016 - 02:56 AM.

#2 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 02:40 AM

BNC-3S

i had excellent success in this build,also the 40-SHS build is probably the second best choice since its 20 true doubles,great heat management and range

#3 Mercarryn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 293 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 01 April 2016 - 02:58 AM

Unlike the other Banshees, the 3S does not have that high engine cap, thus you should use it more like a 5 ton smaller Atlas.
A STD 325 reactor should work already, giving you ok speed, while leaving enough space and weight for the weapons.

Most of the 5 energy hardpoins in its RT are on the shoulder, giving you the ability to put large lasers for sniping into them. Bear in mind though, that your first energy weapon installed will always wander to the hip.Stay away from using the missile rack. The missile rack only increases the right torso hit location.

#4 Kurbeks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 337 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 03:25 AM

Short range MuthaFaka - BNC-3S

Edited by Kurbeks, 01 April 2016 - 03:26 AM.

#5 Kurbeks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 337 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 04:06 AM

Ghost heat from 4LL, but ok BNC-3S

Can exchange that for ERLL if you like those. Also can drop more armor and move to 330 or 335 engine. But not worth in my eyes.

Edited by Kurbeks, 01 April 2016 - 04:07 AM.

#6 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 712 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 01 April 2016 - 04:41 AM

Thanks to everyone who responded!
I would also love to hear feedback on my builds - to improve my MWO theorycrafting abilities, if nothing else.

And what's your opinion on AC/20 vs. AC/10 vs. UAC/5 for 3S?

#7 Kurbeks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 337 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 06:06 AM

1) On mechs that have only 1 Ballastics slot Ac20. AC10 and UaC5 are far too weak and heavy to be put in single slots. Only ac/20 or gauss. Besides UAC will jam after several shots.
2) Don't have 3S, as i sold it when mastering Banshees. But it probably have 3 Energy slots on shoulder, so you have to put 2 small lasers first in right torso and then 3 LPL. To move bigger guns to shouldes. Waste of 1 tonn until PGI fixes mech lab.

Something like this -BNC-3S Can also drop 1 tonn of AC20 ammo for 1 heatsink

Edited by Kurbeks, 01 April 2016 - 06:09 AM.

#8 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 06:12 AM

Laserdrill

#9 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 712 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 01 April 2016 - 06:26 AM

View PostKurbeks, on 01 April 2016 - 06:06 AM, said:

1) On mechs that have only 1 Ballastics slot Ac20. AC10 and UaC5 are far too weak and heavy to be put in single slots. Only ac/20 or gauss. Besides UAC will jam after several shots.

Just a note: the loadout software I'm using does take UAC jammming into account, and UAC/5 still has higher sustained DPS even than AC/20.

And great pro tip with the small lasers.

Edited by DavidStarr, 01 April 2016 - 06:56 AM.

#10 Kurbeks

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 337 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:21 AM

You have to face stare with UAC and 1 UAC5 isn't going to scare anyone into shielding. While with AC/20 + LPL you just let go and shield, spread incoming damage to arms

Edited by Kurbeks, 01 April 2016 - 07:24 AM.

#11 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 712 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:30 AM

Very good point, esp. given my survivability issues!

#12 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:26 AM

I like all the Banshees. Yes even the La Malinch (with weapons in arms which is unusal for Banshee)
But hang on, is it worth to only use single heatsinks on the 3S?

I have tried to use PPC for it just because of fun factor, its useful but maybe not optimal for some.

Oh and the 3e, thats one nasty dakka master or laser master. Depends if you prefer left or right side use of torso Posted Image

#13 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:57 AM

View PostTordin, on 04 April 2016 - 07:26 AM, said:

But hang on, is it worth to only use single heatsinks on the 3S?

40 SHS = 25 ish double heatsinks,with 2 large lasers and 6 mediums its very heat efficient

#14 Quinton

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 134 posts
  • LocationThe Wasteland

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:34 PM

I modified some of your loadouts and made them a bit more efficient:

they said i can boat anything so i boated heatsinks: BNC-3S

This is the exact same damage profile, DHS is 1% more efficient cooling wise AND allows you to have near max armor PLUS you get BAP for better sensor range, detection of shutdown mechs yadda yadda yadda. (also, BAP because i had 1.5 tons left and it was that or AMS, you can change that however you wish)

LRM20 +LPL+AC10: BNC-3S

This trades off some sustained DPS capabilities for massive burst damage. getting rid of the AC/10 for LPLs makes the damage profile (speed of shot , cooldown, range, etc) the exact same so you can reduce weapon groups and make fighting less complex.

BNC-3S

This is another way you could do it, a little less efficient cooling wise but faster shooting.

Something to always consider: Try to always keep as much armor as possible, knocking 20+ pts of armor of a part is a lethal mistake in many cases, even if most people don't aim for that part, taking enough collateral damage to it will show that its weaker than other parts and people will jump on that. In this case i'm talking about your legs in general.

In general try to fit a BAP onto any mech with a heavy missile load, the increased sensor range, and quicker lock on is immensely helpful.

#15 DavidStarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 712 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 12 April 2016 - 12:26 AM

I gotta say, even with suggestions from this thread, with the Ac/20 build and doing my best to swing the torso and shield with arms, I still can't do with 3S as well as with 3E. The difference is huge both in damage per game and in kills per game:

Posted Image

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users