Map Packs For Sale

8 replies to this topic

Poll: Map Packs For Sale (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you be willing to pay cash for packs of newly developed Maps?

1. Yes, bring on some new maps! (2 votes [11.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

2. No way! (3 votes [17.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

3. I will buy Mechs for cash but not Maps (12 votes [70.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 70.59%

4. I will not spend real cash on this game! (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. We have plenty of maps. We do not need any more! (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Cy Mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:28 AM

PGI makes their money to keep the game rolling along by selling MC and Mech Packs currently. There are lots of Mechs in the game. There is not a category nor a role that cannot be filled by one Mech or another. Sure there are Mechs that people want for nostalgic reasons but none are really needed.

However, there is a dearth of great maps in the game. It gets very stale dropping on the same maps over and over. Why are there not more maps? Simple, PGI does not make money on maps. The make money on Mechs so that is where they focus the majority of their staff.

Therefore, I would like to propose that PGI shift some resources to creating new maps and make Map Packs purchasable. I would be hap to drop $20 on a pack of 3-5 new Maps every couple of months. Especially, if there was a lot more diversity and size in the maps.

My proposal will no doubt be controversial and it does have at least one inherent problem which is a potential further splitting of the player base for those that will not or cannot spend real money on the game. However, it would also likely increase player retention because there would be more interesting venue in which to stage our battles. I am sure that the other issues could be easily overcome with an updated matchmaker system.

Edited by Rampage, 01 April 2016 - 08:29 AM.

#2 happy mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 10:13 AM

i would much more like to create better game modes that use the whole map and balance the existing weapons and mechs, than do the same stuff over and over using only 20% of the content

new maps or new mechs do not offer anything new for me currently (but polar and grim have potential)

also update to the ui and controls would be good (better chainfire, custom crosshair, scrollable chat, move+colour+resize ui elements), making the game more playable is always good for the money, customization is good to make people stay longer

#3 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:00 AM

I do agree that the area available on the current maps could be utilized a lot better with some relatively minor revisions.

#4 Vlad Striker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:55 AM

I want to return old Forest Colony maps (both).

#5 MetallicaSPA

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:03 PM

I think maps should be free, beacuse if only a certain number of players buy the maps, they will have problems to find people to play with. Cash for mech it`s ok, cash for maps doesn`t IMO

#6 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,578 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 02 April 2016 - 07:40 PM

View PostRampage, on 01 April 2016 - 08:28 AM, said:

My proposal will no doubt be controversial and it does have at least one inherent problem which is a potential further splitting of the player base for those that will not or cannot spend real money on the game. However, it would also likely increase player retention because there would be more interesting venue in which to stage our battles. I am sure that the other issues could be easily overcome with an updated matchmaker system.

Or opt for a TF2 method of allowing all people to play the funded maps but offer unique/exclusive cosmetic items as a reward for those who cough up. No player base separation required.

#7 happy mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 01:48 AM

View PostCycKath, on 02 April 2016 - 07:40 PM, said:

Or opt for a TF2 method of allowing all people to play the funded maps but offer unique/exclusive cosmetic items as a reward for those who cough up. No player base separation required.

it is the same now basically, you get cosmetic items and all get to play the content

#8 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 06:00 AM

one of the WORST things you can do to a multiplayer only game is introduced paid maps. Especially one with a small player pool like MWO. it's only going to split the player pool

#9 NoiseCrypt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 596 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:31 AM

The only way that i could see "paid maps" work was if they where available to everyone, but the players who paid would get some kind of "vanity" reward.
  • Cockpit Items.
  • Special edition mech with custom camo matching map1.
  • Some kind of feature on the map. If it was an urban map it could be player names on a street or door signs.
  • ... cant think of any more right now.
1) Existing mech variant, maybe even a +30% xp or cbills version. And the camo would only ever be available for that specific variant. Like the pack camos.

The most important thing is that the "vanity" rewards in no way should represent a real development/creation burden for PGI, because that would defeat the purpose of the "crowd founded" maps/(anything).

Edited by NoiseCrypt, 03 April 2016 - 07:32 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users