Clan Mechs Vs. Is Mechs

5 replies to this topic

#1 Agent005

Rookie

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:18 PM

As a new player in this game, the thing I've struggled with most outside of actual combat is the pros and cons between IS and Clan mechs. I know the basic stuff like the fact that clan mechs have built-in XL engines that will be crippled if you lose a side torso (and destroyed if you lose both side torsos), they have interchangable parts, etc. but where things start to get a little confusing for me is when I look at the store and see that clan mechs are almost always several million c-bills more than any other IS mech in its respective weight class. Does that mean clan mechs are just outright better than inner sphere mechs? If so, is there any point to purchasing an inner sphere mech, apart from them being cheaper?

I've looked at various youtube videos and written guides and I don't really have a clear answer as to what the pros and cons are between clan and IS mechs. What about clan mechs would make me want to purchase them over inner sphere mechs, and what about inner sphere mechs would make me want to purchase them over clan mechs?

#2 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:27 PM

No, they're not necessarily better, but they come fully upgraded and including XL engines almost always. Big cost drivers of mechs are upgrades (DHS is 1.5MM and ES is up to 750K) and XL engines (4-6MM each, roughly). Since those are all included on clan mechs up front, you're paying for them all each time. On an IS mech, your "base price" is often lower, but fully upgraded, the costs are actually quite similar. I spec'd out a BLR-2C build yesterday that came in over 19MM, where the same-weight WHK is 15-16MM.

#3 rockspider

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 01 April 2016 - 10:28 PM

Look at it this way....

You can buy an IS mech much cheaper for the initial price. But it will cost you a good few million c-bills at the start to build it correctly and put on the engine and weapons you want whereas a clan mech costs much more initially but needs much less changes or add ons to make it decent.

IS mech... intial cost... 4 million. May cost you 6 million to put on an engine and weapons and make it good.
Clan mech.... initial cost... 9 million. May cost you 1 million to change a few weapons here and there.

So when you look at it like that the costs are pretty even mostly.

#4 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:15 PM

Regarding your second question, clan mechs and IS mechs are actually pretty well balanced. There are some great mechs on both sides, and some bad ones as well.

#5 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 02 April 2016 - 01:21 AM

Inner Sphere Mechs are all Battlemechs, that means you can change engine and pur on various upgrades, the Clan IIC Mechs and the forthcoming Kodiak are also Battlemechs so have upgrades available and can change engine.

Most Clan Mechs currently in game are Cmnimechs, they are more expensive than the same weight IS Mech because they come with XL engines, Double Heat Sinks and often also Endo Steel Internals and/or Fero Fibrus Armor, meaning they are more expensive than there IS equivalents, unless the IS equivelent also has that stuff in which case prices are rather similar, however to purchase than upgrade there IS equivalents to a similar configuration will almost always work out costing at least as much, usualy more.

As for Clan/IS balance I think they are pretty close, I see as many threads complaining that IS is overpowered as complaining Clan OP, in general clans do some things better IS do others better

#6 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 02 April 2016 - 01:46 AM

I own about 80 mechs and they are almost evenly divided between Clan and Inner Sphere.

Contrary to the partisan cry babies, all things considered Clan and Inner Sphere are very ballanced right now. The price difference you see was accurately represented above.

For the longest time they were quite unballanced. As per the storyline of Battletech Clan mechs are vastly superior to Inner Sphere mechs.

When this game first introduced Clan mechs they dominated hands down. Then through the introduction of quirks and adjusting some wepon specs and dynamics things slowly started to shift.
Things in some instances went a little too far for the Inner Sphere and then PGI rolled them back not too long ago, and now we have the best ballance since the introduction of the Clans.

So at this point you can flip a coin and pick a side.
If you or your unit arent doing well then you can only blame yourself.

Because there are so many mechs with different loadouts and quirks it is hard to give a simple description of Clan and IS differences.

Think of them like cars.

Clans are like a refined European sports car. High tech with efficient modern engineering.

Inner Sphere is like a classic hotrod. More simple and straightforward. Tough classic designs with a lot of mojo.

If you cant tell, I enjoy and play both equally.
If forced to pick, I would probably go Inner Sphere.
While I do not think they are better I find them slightly more fun.

At the end of the day a mech is just a tool, and any tool is only as good as its user.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users