Cyclops!

BattleMechs Loadout

138 replies to this topic

#1 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 02 April 2016 - 05:55 PM

Wow this 'Mech blows! Having the same tonnage as the Mauler, Cyclops is basically an inferior version of it.

Posted Image

This thing needs serious hardpoint inflation if PGI decide to bring it into the game! Why did people vote for it?

EDIT: I didn't include variants with FutureTech or tech not in the game.

Edited by Hit the Deck, 02 April 2016 - 05:57 PM.

#2 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 April 2016 - 05:59 PM

I'd love to see what Alex could do with the design though. The Cyclops looks kind of dorky, but it has the potential to look super awesome and scary as sh*t

#3 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:01 PM

View PostHit the Deck, on 02 April 2016 - 05:55 PM, said:

Wow this 'Mech blows! Having the same tonnage as the Mauler, Cyclops is basically an inferior version of it.

Posted Image

This thing needs serious hardpoint inflation if PGI decide to bring it into the game! Why did people vote for it?

Cyclops really is a smaller, weaker, faster Atlas. If the Cryhards hadn't whined their way out of InfoWar, it might have a legit place, but minus some buckwild quirks and ECM, I really don't see it being fantastic or even particularly good. Another opportunity missed, courtesy of the CoS UberComps who feel the only thing that should be in the game is whatever makes clicking a pixel and winning easiest.

(And yes, I am aware not every competitive player is against immersion, depth, infowar, etc. So if you aren't assume this is not referring to you and save us both some aggro)

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 02 April 2016 - 06:04 PM.

#4 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:05 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 April 2016 - 06:01 PM, said:

InfoWar

Basically the only reason for Cyclops to exist.

#5 Chimera_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 446 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:06 PM

The best way to inflate the hardpoints would be to give it expanded head slots and a head energy hardpoint. Let people put a PPC or ERLL in the eye.

Really though, I'd love to just see a version of it that doesn't look like a fat pit droid from Star Wars. The MW4 Mektek version was considerably more cool looking imo, and I'm sure Alex could make something that looks far better than even that.

#6 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:08 PM

Rumor says that PGI have a concept art of it ready.

#7 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:15 PM

Posted Image

Even Clan battlemechs receive hardpoint inflation, it's pretty much a given.

The Cyclops is another mech I'm not huge on, why take it over a Mauler, Banshee, Battlemaster?

#8 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:17 PM

View PostChimera11, on 02 April 2016 - 06:06 PM, said:

The best way to inflate the hardpoints would be to give it expanded head slots and a head energy hardpoint. Let people put a PPC or ERLL in the eye.

Really though, I'd love to just see a version of it that doesn't look like a fat pit droid from Star Wars. The MW4 Mektek version was considerably more cool looking imo, and I'm sure Alex could make something that looks far better than even that.

Posted Image

Pit droid can be mean with a little work. But I'd love to see Alex's take, for a certainty!

View PostLT. HARDCASE, on 02 April 2016 - 06:15 PM, said:

Even Clan battlemechs receive hardpoint inflation, it's pretty much a given.

The Cyclops is another mech I'm not huge on, why take it over a Mauler, Banshee, Battlemaster?

sadly, without more depth in game, which too many people wet themselves over in the PTS3 affair, there isn't really a lot of point for any more IS Assaults to be added.

#9 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:21 PM

Cyclops is good because of its electronics.

A feature which isn't really used in this game.

Maybe if they gave every variant ECM.

#10 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:24 PM

I'd love it when they finally announce the Cyclops as the next Mech release, they also announce the (re)introduction of info warfare! Imagine the reworked Command Console, new command wheel interface, better map, passive sensor, meaningful scouting role, etc. Then the Cyclops hopefully wouldn't be a waste and have a specialty as a valuable command center Assault.

#11 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:26 PM

View Postdervishx5, on 02 April 2016 - 06:21 PM, said:

Cyclops is good because of its electronics.

A feature which isn't really used in this game.

Maybe if they gave every variant ECM.

even then, ECM is so nerfed now, it's not quite the "fix" for bad robots it once was. Useful, but I fear not enough. Ah, if only Infowar had happened (admittedly, the base numbers that PGI set a lot of the PTS at, combined with the lock on lasers, etc, did make it rather much to swallow cold turkey. A pity they got so butthurt/burned etc from the results they just killed all aspects instead of selectively editing the concept)

View PostHit the Deck, on 02 April 2016 - 06:24 PM, said:

I'd love it when they finally announce the Cyclops as the next Mech release, they also announce the (re)introduction of info warfare! Imagine the reworked Command Console, new command wheel interface, better map, passive sensor, meaningful scouting role, etc. Then the Cyclops hopefully wouldn't be a waste and have a specialty as a valuable command center Assault.

And the QQ of the 1% would just be icing on the cake. Like a sweet serenade....

#12 Chimera_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 446 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:36 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 April 2016 - 06:26 PM, said:

even then, ECM is so nerfed now, it's not quite the "fix" for bad robots it once was. Useful, but I fear not enough. Ah, if only Infowar had happened (admittedly, the base numbers that PGI set a lot of the PTS at, combined with the lock on lasers, etc, did make it rather much to swallow cold turkey. A pity they got so butthurt/burned etc from the results they just killed all aspects instead of selectively editing the concept)

I think the CTF-0XP is a good example of how little of a difference ECM can make for a mech that has bad hardpoints.

#13 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:38 PM

Maybe by the time the Cyclops comes out PGI will do its typical overcompensation and ECM will be OP again.

Edited by dervishx5, 02 April 2016 - 06:38 PM.

#14 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:46 PM

View PostChimera11, on 02 April 2016 - 06:36 PM, said:

I think the CTF-0XP is a good example of how little of a difference ECM can make for a mech that has bad hardpoints.

I actually do OK in mine, so I have to admit, that doesn't really make a good mental image for me, lol. My Tempest, I am not too impressed with though, overall. (though partly because trying to use it as God and Comstar intended, with LRMs but not relying on others to fetch locks for me, tends to expose me to a lot of the most effective anti ECM in existence... direct fire weapons.

That said It was more effective when ECM was better.

#15 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:53 PM

Posted Image

Cyclops = low hardpoints + bad hitboxes = not gonna touch it, even with quirks. Have you seen that protruding CT?

#16 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 07:02 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 02 April 2016 - 06:53 PM, said:

Cyclops = low hardpoints + bad hitboxes = not gonna touch it, even with quirks. Have you seen that protruding CT?

does it protrude more than an Archers? Posted Image

#17 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 07:02 PM

The Cyclops isn't inferior, by any means, to the Mauler. The point of the Cyclops was to be a C&C mech while the Mauler has always been a fire support platform. Speed and communications was what made the Cyclops deadly. In MW:O, the Cyclops would be fantastic. The lack of intel warfare in this game or any semblance of proper HUD interaction with teammates would make the Cyclops inferior, not the mech itself.

#18 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 02 April 2016 - 07:06 PM

View PostTrauglodyte, on 02 April 2016 - 07:02 PM, said:

The Cyclops isn't inferior, by any means, to the Mauler. The point of the Cyclops was to be a C&C mech while the Mauler has always been a fire support platform. Speed and communications was what made the Cyclops deadly. In MW:O, the Cyclops would be fantastic. The lack of intel warfare in this game or any semblance of proper HUD interaction with teammates would make the Cyclops inferior, not the mech itself.

Of course I mean in MWO when I wrote the OP.

#19 Otto Cannon

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 02 April 2016 - 07:06 PM

I've always loved the Cyclops, so I can only hope Russ gives it a reason to exist in MWO.

#20 Chimera_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 446 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 April 2016 - 07:14 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 April 2016 - 06:46 PM, said:

I actually do OK in mine, so I have to admit, that doesn't really make a good mental image for me, lol. My Tempest, I am not too impressed with though, overall. (though partly because trying to use it as God and Comstar intended, with LRMs but not relying on others to fetch locks for me, tends to expose me to a lot of the most effective anti ECM in existence... direct fire weapons.

That said It was more effective when ECM was better.

Hmm...I don't actually have a 0XP, but 4/5 hardpoints are low in the arms and it only has 5 to begin with. I've never seen anyone do particularly well in it, but maybe my love of HBRs with their great mounts blinds me to the potential of the 0XP?

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Tempest...I think it may be a better example of ECM's inability to polish turds.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users