#21 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:41 AM

View PostArmandTulsen, on 03 April 2016 - 07:22 AM, said:

I swear, sometimes I think there are loyally blind shills who reply to these kinds of threads.

The OP makes good points. In terms of absolute content and progress, the game has been advancing at a snail's pace.

Everybody here knows you can't monetize maps in this kind of F2P model, so they get less priority in terms of development. But slap together a new mech, which happens to do maybe one or two things unique, but mostly a copy of an existing mech in terms of function, hardpoints etc., and suddenly BOOM! TWENTY BUCKS A POP FOR EARLY ACCESS!

Srsly, you guise? You guise....

So, what should they do? It's a F2P game, it needs to make money. As you said, maps don't make money, mechs do.They HAVE continued to add maps nevertheless, but you can't fault them for wanting to be able to keep the lights on and servers running, and put food on their tables.

Development is slow? Yes. Do you really feel this is deliberate? PGI just screwing with you? Whether it's because their team is too small, bad at their jobs, or some combination doesn't matter, if they could add content faster they would. Complaining about it is pointless because they clearly can't go any faster: getting better isn't going to happen, and getting bigger... Bigger requires more money. Catch 22: to make more money, they'd need to sell more mech packs, right? That means even less non-mech content. And there's definitely a saturation point where those who are going to spend are already spending everything they are going to.

Yeah. Development is slow.

But at least it's way faster now than it was back in the early days.

The OP here either has some SERIOUSLY rose coloured glasses, or he's just full of s**t. For all of PGI's faults (and they are legion) the game has been progressing much faster than it did back then, and certainly is a lot better (even if I desperately miss 8v8).

But people have this moronic idea that suddenly things are going to change dramatically. Spoiler alert: they aren't. The game is going to CO tinue slowly progressing as it has, and there aren't going to be huge sudden changes.

MWO is going to remain MWO, for good or ill.

#22 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:44 AM

It's always good to hear real talk

#23 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:48 AM

View PostAppogee, on 03 April 2016 - 02:50 AM, said:

Nah, they will be completely ignored.

PGI would need to care about your complaints and criticisms before they made the effort to resist them.

I'm $1200 in, by the way. But I'm still playing most days. I still have hope that things will improve.

I'm pretty sure i'm in for more, I drop once or twice most days, I gave up hope for improvement months ago, but I'm going get my monies worth some how, christ I could have bought a good second hand car with the amount I've spent here, just lucky I have an understanding wife that prefers me at home, and not out boozing since I had to give up sport

Edited by Cathy, 03 April 2016 - 08:48 AM.

#24 Tezcatli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:58 AM

Did you buy the most expensive founders pack? Is that why you spent hundreds of dollars on a game whose development pace has always been a case of 2 steps forward, one step back?

Development has always left the core game relatively the same. Everything since beta has been small feature additions and small improvements on existing things. Even CW is just a rework of the core game with a redeployment mechanic. Although I will say that they were doing a better job until they opted for 1 update a month recently. Which has not shown itself to be "higher quality" that they promised us.

You can blame them for their anemic pace. But you have to blame yourself for making poor choices with your money.

#25 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:05 AM

View PostPjwned, on 03 April 2016 - 03:15 AM, said:

Why did you dump so much money into a game that was obviously incomplete when you would have (and apparently did) end(ed) up regretting your decision to spend so much money?

Because 10 years without a Battletech video game.

Because this was supposed to be a Battletech team based game. A little something called CW was meant to fulfill a promise many of us invested in. It was being promoted as such until last December when all of a sudden it became a e-sports game.

Now it is hard to believe anything PGI says, they are the Trump of video games. "We will bring you Solaris and it will be YUGE! And CW phase 3 will be wonderful! Just keep buying our mech packs, you'll see!"

#26 Snowbluff

• Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:11 AM

View PostJackalBeast, on 03 April 2016 - 08:16 AM, said:

Readying for argument about how hard and grueling it must be to develop new mechs which, Spoiler Alert... implement already existing assets (as in from day 1).

... Do you know what people refer to as an asset in computer gaming? Because I can tell you right now that most of these models and rigging were not in the game at launch.

It becomes immediately evident to me that you don't know anything about computer games. Most of the mechs are mostly art development, but THAT'S HOW IT HAS BEEN SINCE THE INCEPTION OF BATTLETECH, as most things about a mech are dictated by tonnage and a few yes/no options. It just takes a bit more work for modern graphics.

#27 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:23 AM

"I wasted hundreds on this game."

Aww, how cute, you think you're a whale.

I'm sitting on just over 2K worth of cash spent. Sorry the game didn't meet your expectations, but you alone can measure the worth of the game to you.

I personally feel over these years, I've gotten my money's worth.

#28 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:25 AM

View PostTed Wayz, on 03 April 2016 - 09:05 AM, said:

Because this was supposed to be a Battletech team based game. A little something called CW was meant to fulfill a promise many of us invested in. It was being promoted as such until last December when all of a sudden it became a e-sports game.

Now it is hard to believe anything PGI says, they are the Trump of video games. "We will bring you Solaris and it will be YUGE! And CW phase 3 will be wonderful! Just keep buying our mech packs, you'll see!"

I can understand buying a Founder's Pack and being disappointed with it ultimately, although just like everything else those were overpriced too and given the chance to buy a pack I wouldn't even bother buying it because that crap costs way too much for what you get.

Beyond the point of Founder's Packs though it should've been obvious how foolish it was to buy in for hundreds/thousands of dollars (let alone a fraction of that) considering the glacial pace of development, overall incompetence, consistently broken promises on nearly everything, and still overpriced everything. It's not like your money is being used efficiently nor has it been for some time, so rewarding PGI for doing a sloppy, untimely, poorly thought out, overall piss poor job sure as hell is not making the game reach actually worthwhile goals.

#29 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:31 AM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 03 April 2016 - 09:23 AM, said:

"I wasted hundreds on this game."

Aww, how cute, you think you're a whale.

I'm sitting on just over 2K worth of cash spent. Sorry the game didn't meet your expectations, but you alone can measure the worth of the game to you.

I personally feel over these years, I've gotten my money's worth.

Oh and since you have spent way less than me does that mean I can belittle your feelings too?

#30 Damia Savon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 608 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:33 AM

View PostPjwned, on 03 April 2016 - 03:15 AM, said:

Why did you dump so much money into a game that was obviously incomplete when you would have (and apparently did) end(ed) up regretting your decision to spend so much money?

I can't even believe how much people spend on this game with the $100+ mech packs that feature absolutely PATHETIC amounts of content when you compare how many full games + DLC you can get with that kind of money elsewhere.

At least other whales apparently enjoy their extremely overpriced content, but your buyer's remorse is your fault for being a chump.

Yep but someone has to keep the lights on right? People who "proudly" don't spend a dime on the game actually contribute nothing to it. Of course spending 100 to 1000 bucks, while a lot to an individual, is a drop in the overall bucket of that PGI needs monthly.

PGI is not a AAA studio and btech/Mechwarrior is not a AAA franchise. I doubt they have multimillions lying around to spend years developing a game with the hope of recouping their investment via sales. Free to play online games don't follow the same business model.

#31 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:34 AM

View PostPjwned, on 03 April 2016 - 09:25 AM, said:

Beyond the point of Founder's Packs though it should've been obvious how foolish it was to buy in for hundreds/thousands of dollars...

Hindsight is 20/20.

I was willing to fund PGI as long as their focus was a long term viable CW. When it became obvious it was not their focus then the faucet got turned off. Or in my case the fire hose.

#32 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:38 AM

View PostLOADED, on 03 April 2016 - 02:47 AM, said:

Vast majority of puggers are expecting arena style shotouts with as little wait/downtime as possible, PGI delivers just what the audience is demanding.

Yes, because obviously a million flies can't be wrong ...

View PostEl Bandito, on 03 April 2016 - 04:00 AM, said:

Thank you for supporting the game. Feel free to play again, or come back a year later. It will still be around, I think.

Do I detect a hint of apprehension? Posted Image

View PostJohnny Z, on 03 April 2016 - 04:16 AM, said:

Also stick around for faction play phase 3. MechWarrior Online is doing some ground breaking stuff.

As I asked in another thread, would you like to go into specifics on what these "ground breaking stuff" are?

#33 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:39 AM

View PostPjwned, on 03 April 2016 - 09:25 AM, said:

I can understand buying a Founder's Pack and being disappointed with it ultimately, although just like everything else those were overpriced too and given the chance to buy a pack I wouldn't even bother buying it because that crap costs way too much for what you get.
I've long maintained that the ONLY people who get to complain about money they've spent on this game are the Founders.

It's perfectly legit to say they didn't get what they felt they were buying, and game kickstarter/founders programs where a lot newer then, so people had less realistic expectations.

But every penny spent after launch? That's 100% on the players. They knew what they were getting for their money, and stupidity is no excuse.

Me, I've spent a fair chunk of change on this game since 2012, and I've never regretted a dime: I feel I've got great entertainment for my dollar. But that's a personal assessment! What's a good deal for me may not be for you, and that's ok.

Beyond the point of Founder's Packs though it should've been obvious how foolish it was to buy in for hundreds/thousands of dollars (let alone a fraction of that) considering the glacial pace of development, overall incompetence, consistently broken promises on nearly everything, and still overpriced everything. It's not like your money is being used efficiently nor has it been for some time, so rewarding PGI for doing a sloppy, untimely, poorly thought out, overall piss poor job sure as hell is not making the game reach actually worthwhile goals.

For you, sure.

For me? I don't care if they're using my money efficiently or not. I'm not investing in PGI, I'm buying a product.

I don't care if nvidia uses the money I spent on my GTX980 well or not. If they use it poorly, and in the future AMD's products are purely better, then I'll buy them instead then. I don't care.

Likewise, I was buying a product with PGI - mech packs - not promises on future development. If they don't have a product I want to buy in the future, I won't buy it. I won't cry about it either, I just won't buy it. I don't fault people for not buying now, either... But I won't call people who do buy foolish, either, as those people are funding the game I'm enjoying. If nobody buys, the game vanishes very quickly.

Thinking things will improve if people stop buying is stupid. That's not how it works.

#34 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:43 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 03 April 2016 - 04:16 AM, said:

All players playing are on teams I don't see what your complaint is to begin with.

View PostCoolant, on 03 April 2016 - 07:39 AM, said:

You made a statement ("It was a team game, now it's not) that assumes fact when actually you provide no proof, not even any evidence. What is your background or expertise that we should just take your word as absolute truth?

I think he's referring to the time when there was no solo-only queue.

View PostCoolant, on 03 April 2016 - 07:39 AM, said:

And you end with a statement assumed as fact. No evidence, no proof, no references. We have to assume your statement as absolute truth because it comes from you and that is enough. That's just arrogance in the highest degree.

Well, I think we can agree that the "Here, have another Mech pack!" running joke does have some basis in truth. Posted Image

#35 Tickdoff Tank

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,647 posts
  • LocationCharlotte NC

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:57 AM

I have spent a considerable amount on MWO, and I am mostly satisfied with my expenditures. I am not crazy about a few of the mechs that I have bought, but that is nothing new. I have bought cars that did not turn out to be as good as I originally thought they would be, and a car costs a lot more up front than MWO.

#36 Damia Savon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 608 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:59 AM

View PostJackalBeast, on 03 April 2016 - 08:16 AM, said:

This. So this.

Readying for argument about how hard and grueling it must be to develop new mechs which, Spoiler Alert... implement already existing assets (as in from day 1). Same vein as to why weapon types haven't changed. Here's a hint, it's not because of timeline.

Not quite sure, but I think we've all just witnessed a rare White Knight Cheerleader hybrid in action

Yes apparently there are only two type of people on these forums...white knights and idiotic, clueless, whiney, baby tantrum throwing imbiciles. Which one are you, oh wait.

#37 NoiseCrypt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 596 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:13 AM

View PostFeralBerserker, on 03 April 2016 - 02:38 AM, said:

I'm sorry, but I have spent hundreds of dollars on this game since it's inception. Literally, since a month after it was accessible to the public I have been dumping dollars into this game because it was great. Unfortunately, due to life circumstances, I haven't been able to play for a considerable amount of time, probably a little more than a year. I would just accept this game being destroyed during my absence as a fact of life, if I hadn't literally spent at least $500 dollars (much more likely in excess of $1,000).

What the hell happened to this game? It was a team game, now it's not. You could choose the mode you played on, now you can't. Load time for a server always sucked (because clearly the old way of servers didn't work well... except that it did) but it still has not improved. This game was alpha or beta when I started playing, I can't even remember because it was that many years ago. Why has this game only gotten worse as time has gone on, and not gotten any better? More mechs, but not more maps. Seriously, what game has been out for almost half a decade (maybe even half a decade now, who knows?) and doesn't have more than two dozen maps? Hell, does it even have one dozen maps? And maps that were good and team based have been boiled down to a skirmish mode. And skirmish mode... wait, what? Isn't this a team-based game? Why is there skirmish mode in a team based game?

I could go on and on about what a waste of money this game was for me. I could elaborate on how this personal expenditure could be made worthwhile by better development. I could do all sorts of things. Yet, I feel like my complaints and criticisms will be met with obstinate resistance. The bottom line is that after years of loyalty, even with lapses in participation due to the way life is and the obstacles it presents, this game was a waste of money. Not a waste of time. Because it used to be fun, and I enjoyed the limited time I got to play it. But now it is just greed and capitalism at it's 'finest'.

Maybe you just need to try something new...

http://magic.wizards.com/

https://www.games-workshop.com/

http://store.steampowered.com/ ( They even have sales ;) )

#38 man du

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 129 posts
  • LocationIn my LCT-1V, chewing on your ankles!

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:22 AM

Hi, random nobody here! I've spent a few hundy's on this game and haven't regretted a single cent(except for my Atlases maybe, I'm still trying to wrap my head around Assaults).

That said, my first and best purchase in this game was every single Locust variant and 'Mechbay and I still fanboy a little every time I jump in one(every day). I have since purchased more 'Mechs of various weight classes which are all dear to me but them Locusts. . .

Edit:Punctuation.

Edited by man du, 03 April 2016 - 10:22 AM.

#39 EgoSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:24 AM

It has *always* been a goal of PGI to have MWO be an e-sports game. This isn't something that "changed in December suddenly". That you've been blind to that since there are quotes going back at least to 2012 is your issue. But more relevant - is that there hasn't been any major shift in the development to only e-sports as you seem to imply. The focus has only shifted in your mind, not PGIs. E-sports and CW/FW are an "AND" not an "OR" and the focus is *still* on non e-sports items - glacial as the pace may be.

Edited by EgoSlayer, 03 April 2016 - 10:25 AM.

#40 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:24 AM

And don't forget, they are going to build a PayWall. And make us pay for it! Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users