31 replies to this topic

#1 A HeadlessChicken

• PipPip
  • The Warrior
  • The Warrior
  • 48 posts
  • LocationGO ROYALS!!!

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:02 AM

My PSU blew up and took out my MOBO and Video Card. Now I am in need of a new PC. I am seriously considering this one.

http://www.microcent...esktop_Computer

Basically, it is:
  • Intel Core i7-6700K Processor 4.0GHz
  • Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
  • G.Skill. 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM
  • 2TB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
  • 256GB Solid State Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
$1400

Pros:

It's pre-built so I don't have to mess with doing it myself.
If something happens to it, I can take it back to the store for 48 hour guaranteed free repairs (1 year) I can also get an extension on the warranty for a reasonable price.
I can immediately downgrade to Win 7, which I much prefer over Win 10

Cons:

You tell me. I tried looking up prices for the individual parts and have only found that I can save at most $100. PowerSpec uses off the shelf parts, so I tried to find analogs to what they would use.

#2 Cy Mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:30 AM

The killer on building your own system is that you have to drop the coin on the OS. These builders get the OS free from Microsoft because they are "partners".

You have to watch for areas where they might skimp on quality like the case, PSU, memory, etc. This one looks to have a decent EVGA PSU so that is a plus. They will often tend to buy the cheapest brand of video card, HD, MB etc. While that does not mean the quality is bad it does mean that when do a price comparison then you should do the same thing. Without actually going to Newegg.com and doing the component price comparison, I am guessing that I could build that system for $1000 plus or minus $100. But then you are your own warranty. For you, that warranty may be worth a couple hundred dollars.

#3 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:06 AM

Meh:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($348.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6+ ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($168.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk Z400s 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($68.37 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($314.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Apex Vortex 3620 ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit) ($124.75 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Belkin F9L1001 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($6.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $1257.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-03 14:03 EDT-0400

The card reader cost what? That K-Model CPU is covered by a what? When you go to overclock things, the PSU will WATT?

For comparison

Edited by Goose, 03 April 2016 - 10:08 AM.

#4 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:17 AM

Well, for $1400 i would hope those aren't bottom-of-the-barrel parts...

#5 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:29 AM

Considering you can save $150 by building the exact thing yourself, I personally would think that would be convincing enough (unless you currently make more than $150/hour). I have a good job, but I can definitely find somewhere else to use $150. Plus your case for the warranty extension... the extension is another $140. I can find A LOT of uses for a spare $300.

Disregarding the immediate cost front, it's a K-series unlocked CPU, top of the line i7 even, with a cheap cooler master heatsink that will not work for overclocking. The PSU is probably not something I would trust to hold up for very long when overclocking, either. So that premium you're paying for the unlocked CPU is a a waste.

If your argument there is "I can upgrade the cooler and PSU when I'm ready to overclock" then you should just be building your system yourself anyway. If your argument is "I'm not going to overclock" then you should be picking a system without an unlocked chip to save yourself some money

#6 A HeadlessChicken

• PipPip
  • The Warrior
  • The Warrior
  • 48 posts
  • LocationGO ROYALS!!!

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:36 AM

It uses this: http://www.microcent...rsal_CPU_Cooler\

I also have a 650 Watt EVGA PSU on hand.

Sorry, 600 Watt

#7 Ken Burkhart

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 11:29 AM

Honestly, I can't convince you to not buy that computer. I have owned 2 Powerspecs I bought from the Microcenter in Richardson(close to Dallas). The first one was a G212, earlier gen i7, 16GB RAM, 2xRadeon 6790s(I think). The only things I had to do with it was replacement RAM(under warranty), and power supply replacement. The power supply they used was a bit cheap(Deer under the hood, experts will know what I'm talking about), but my luck was such that when it went out, it didn't take anything else with it.

The one I'm typing this on is the latest/greatest X506, plus some upgrades. It uses all higher quality parts instead of the "cheap" stuff, including a Corsair power supply, ASUS brand MB, and even liquid cooling. I then upgraded it by adding another GTX980, and doubling the RAM to 32GB. It has not given me any problems yet either, though I haven't had it for long.

Honestly, I could build my own PC, but somehow I don't feel like it. I've seen enough people get burned having to RMA stuff that was DOA, and then there is the couple hours of build time(which isn't much, especially since I still had to take a few minutes to add my upgrades), but then I'm buying Powerspec, not Alienware, so the price isn't that bad on pre-built.

#8 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 12:22 PM

View PostHedlessChickn, on 03 April 2016 - 10:36 AM, said:

It uses this: http://www.microcent...rsal_CPU_Cooler\

I also have a 650 Watt EVGA PSU on hand.

Sorry, 600 Watt

...then you've already made my point for me.

Feel free to overpay for no reason. It's your cash, after all. It's just unnecessary and financially less responsible.

#9 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 03 April 2016 - 01:11 PM

View PostxWiredx, on 03 April 2016 - 12:22 PM, said:

...then you've already made my point for me.

Feel free to overpay for no reason. It's your cash, after all. It's just unnecessary and financially less responsible.

The OP can correct me on this but the point may not be "buy premade vs build myself"...

Not everyone feels comfortable fiddling with computer guts. I can do it, but i recognize some never have and don't have the desire, confidence, nor the propensity to do it. (Fyi, never ask me to fix your 10-speed bike... ever).

So if the OP would clarify, are you looking to be talked out of this prebuilt vs another, or are you open to building your own?

Because that really changes the discussion...

#10 A HeadlessChicken

• PipPip
  • The Warrior
  • The Warrior
  • 48 posts
  • LocationGO ROYALS!!!

Posted 03 April 2016 - 01:50 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 03 April 2016 - 01:11 PM, said:

The OP can correct me on this but the point may not be "buy premade vs build myself"...

Not everyone feels comfortable fiddling with computer guts. I can do it, but i recognize some never have and don't have the desire, confidence, nor the propensity to do it. (Fyi, never ask me to fix your 10-speed bike... ever).

So if the OP would clarify, are you looking to be talked out of this prebuilt vs another, or are you open to building your own?

Because that really changes the discussion...

I have built my own in the past. I'm not afraid to do it again. The problem is this. The last time I built my own, both the Video Card I bought and the RAM I bought were borked. This was back when the store was 15 minutes away, so no big deal. It took a couple drives to get it all sorted out. Now, I live an hour and 15 minutes away from MicroCenter.

My thinking is this. If I buy this prebuilt, and it doesn't work, I can take it back and have it replaced. I won't have to waste my time trying to figure out which parts are and are not working, so on and so forth.

Mainly what I am looking for is a place to start. I need a system that can be easily upgraded for the next several years. This one seems to fit that bill.

Not to mention that if something does fail in the warranty period, instead of having to RMA, etc, I take it back to them and they repair/replace it free of charge.

Unless I can save several hundred dollars otherwise, I really don't see why I wouldn't go with this. Which is why I titled the thread as I did.

#11 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 03 April 2016 - 02:01 PM

Maybe you'd be better served by upping your static control game?

#12 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 03 April 2016 - 02:32 PM

Unless the OP was building his computer in the middle of a desert in the dry season, wearing wool socks on a plush carpet, and using a pair of birmans as shoulder pads, I'm not really inclined to blame ESD. I have personally found it extraordinarily difficult to produce any kind of problem out of it, and for two components?

Whatever the case, ESD, bad package treatment by the store, a ****** PSU wrecking your parts, whatever, you should not build computers expecting parts to fail and trying to go to extraordinary measures like buying from a store to avoid it (keeping a metal folding chair next to you to discharge before starting work or buying a $7 anti-static device? Eh, sure?). I wouldn't even purchase an extended warranty.

Done properly, I would put the failure rate of a self-built machine over a prebuilt any day. You're doing the wiring, the seating, the handling of the components, vs some guy getting paid mediocre wages to run through all that as fast as he can. Besides, it RMAing a part by mail or driving it back to the store really less of an imposition than lugging a tower 3 hours, round trip?

Moreover, Goose's build probably does achieve the kind of value over that rig that you assert would make it worth your while to accept the risk of wholly-improbable hardware failures. With the PSU on-hand you are saving almost $200 (get W10 Home and there's your 200). His 970 is probably better than Micro Center's, you can shop around for a better SSD than Micro Center is probably giving you (why not go 850 Evo?), you can hand pick case and fans for cooling and noise, etc. The worst you might make out is paying nearly as much for unambiguously better stuff (or you could go the other way, and actually land cheaper than Goose's build in all sorts of ways, by rethinking some of what Microcenter is selling you; he was just replicating their build).

I just cannot see how giving up the control to get the best parts to suit you, and get the best prices on them, ends up being a smart move. I think you're grossly underestimating the dollar value you can attach to that.

Edited by Catamount, 03 April 2016 - 02:33 PM.

#13 A HeadlessChicken

• PipPip
  • The Warrior
  • The Warrior
  • 48 posts
  • LocationGO ROYALS!!!

Posted 03 April 2016 - 02:43 PM

View PostGoose, on 03 April 2016 - 02:01 PM, said:

Maybe you'd be better served by upping your static control game?

Hardwood floors in the nude work?

#14 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:15 AM

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.29 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M550 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($106.17 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($293.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Raidmax Vortex ATX Mid Tower Case ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($86.49 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1228.75
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-04 12:11 EDT-0400

Considering the Prebuilt in the OP is currently on sale for $1200 vs $1470, I'd say get the Prebuilt

#15 A HeadlessChicken

• PipPip
  • The Warrior
  • The Warrior
  • 48 posts
  • LocationGO ROYALS!!!

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:37 AM

View PostLord Letto, on 04 April 2016 - 08:15 AM, said:

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.29 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M550 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($106.17 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($293.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Raidmax Vortex ATX Mid Tower Case ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1228.75
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-04 12:11 EDT-0400

Considering the Prebuilt in the OP is currently on sale for $1200 vs $1470, I'd say get the Prebuilt

That settles it. Buying it tomorrow. It was $1400 when I first looked at it. Adding in another year of support, and still paying less? Done deal. Thanks for the good eye.

#16 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 756 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:57 AM

im no expert, but $1400 is a bit expensive if you ask me, especially considering that it only has a 970. If you going to spend $1400, your PC should run an 980 instead

#17 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 01:04 PM

View PostHedlessChickn, on 04 April 2016 - 08:37 AM, said:

That settles it. Buying it tomorrow. It was $1400 when I first looked at it. Adding in another year of support, and still paying less? Done deal. Thanks for the good eye.

If you say you are immediately downgrading to a copy of win 7 that you already have, there is no reason to buy win 10. Still cheaper to build it yourself, and you can do the simple things like get a better case and CPU cooler the first time, instead of buying it twice.

And their 1 year warranty isn't going to cover a thing if you overclock it.

#18 A HeadlessChicken

• PipPip
  • The Warrior
  • The Warrior
  • 48 posts
  • LocationGO ROYALS!!!

Posted 04 April 2016 - 01:13 PM

View PostBig Tin Man, on 04 April 2016 - 01:04 PM, said:

If you say you are immediately downgrading to a copy of win 7 that you already have, there is no reason to buy win 10. Still cheaper to build it yourself, and you can do the simple things like get a better case and CPU cooler the first time, instead of buying it twice.

And their 1 year warranty isn't going to cover a thing if you overclock it.

It comes with Win 10 and a Win 7 downgrade. I do not have another copy of Win 7, nor do I have the original key. The PC that blew was an HP refurb that lasted me 6 years. I won't bother to overclock it until the warranty is over. And again, you have to consider the fact that they have a 48 hour repair guarantee. If they can't do that within the promised 48 hours, they reimburse you with a gift card, and still guarantee the repair.

I still haven't seen anything that has convinced me not to buy this, especially now that they've dropped it another $200.

#19 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 04 April 2016 - 02:16 PM

Meh

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($85.49 @ OutletPC)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1121.08
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-04 17:40 EDT-0400

I'd still pay less to not have someone else building my PC (you said you already had a PSU), while being restricted to their components, and not even being able to OC the machine.

If parts blow out after that one year, are the better individual manufacturer warranties still going to apply? Most components are 2-3 years. If you buy the extended warranty, that's longer that you're abstaining from OCing... so why are you even ponying up for a k model? Besides, labor and store markups aren't costs that just get dropped, so what corner are they cutting here? It's bad enough when you do know, let alone when you don't.

I also admit some bias, too, though. My PC is one of my most important possessions. I'm not leaving it to someone else to pick out what I should buy and assemble it; there's neither guarantee of quality nor the level of ownership of the product that I want. It would be outright negligence! Posted Image I want my build, that I put the work into - let the console peasants buy the prebuilts Posted Image

Edited by Catamount, 04 April 2016 - 02:18 PM.

#20 A HeadlessChicken

• PipPip
  • The Warrior
  • The Warrior
  • 48 posts
  • LocationGO ROYALS!!!

Posted 04 April 2016 - 03:16 PM

One other caveat I should heave mentioned. I used to work there and I personally know 2 of the techs and one of the managers of the tech dept. I also know the store manager as well. I am really not concerned about the quality of their work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users