Looking For A Clan Assault, Suggestions?

11 replies to this topic

#1 Washcloth Repairman

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 11:06 PM

I was thinking either GAR-C or a Dire Wolf, I'd like that DWF-W(C), but don't have the nearly 9000 MC and I've already spent more real money than I should have. I tend to do best with ballistic weapons, ok with missles and rather poorly with lasers.

I like the Gargoyle because I'd like to experiment with a 400-engine capable frame, but I'm not married to it. I'm looking for any advice or suggestions when it comes to Clan Assault mechs.

#2 Moebius Pi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 211 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 11:38 PM

The Gargoyle is notoriously bad: I've seen quite a few people use every energy point they could for a SPL knife-fighter with it with some success, but generally it's an experiment in frustration for most that bought it, underslung, under-armed and generally "rainy day pet project". Wouldn't recommend it as a result as a first pick if dipping into the Clans unless you're a masochist vs something more friendly, they don't have many solid options to tinker with unlike the Dire.

Direwolf (if planning on CW) is in a really bad spot right now; too much tonnage for to slow of speed relegating it to niche mass assault waves or defense "Imma turret". The turn rate on it isn't so hot either. -REALLY- fun for going hog wild on Dakka mind you, and if that's your thing, you'll get quite a bit of enjoyment. Just keep in mind the Whale is fairly beached at the moment in terms of mobility and twist. You'll get left behind in soloqueue quite often too, since most folks play for themselves and could give a rat's *** about supporting the assaults it seems lol. Still... the Dakka etc. is truly a thing to behold.

Honestly, despite the limitations I've been digging the Warhawk more and more as far as Clan Assaults go, and I'd likely recommenced them over the others (with the Executioner getting some special attention once you get a feel for them). Though I loathe using them, it's a solid LRM platform, can do Gauss/Laser vomit pretty well, A couple of ghost-heat breaking LPL builds, Mini-Dakka (UAC jam chance arm and AC10's etc.), as well as some heavy hitting SRM based builds. It does have quite a bit of issues and a very frustrating Heatsink locked torso, and many builds rely on either the SRM CT or Energy CT variants, but at the least you get 2 CTs that differ when eliting them. That and with spead tweak it's -just- shy of 70 kph on the move, which while not fast is quite a bit more tolerable.

On the CW note of them, they don't eat up so much tonnage to outright cripple your deck either. You can still get some solid lighter weight choices in with a Warhawk in your deck without making quite the sacrifices you do with a Dire or Executioner. That said, you won't have quite the experimental freedom of builds you can pull off on a Dire.

Executioner: Some hate them, some love them. I like them, -but- unless you're cramming in SPLs etc. you're basically getting similar loadouts to a Timber (or even less punchy) in a much heavier mech. Not the best hitboxes, very underslung arms, but interesting with the MASC improvements and really enjoyable when you get on a roll. That said, most find them ugly as hell and frustrating given the loadout issues with the hardlocked MASC and Jump Jets. So I'd be hesitant on recommending it over Warhawks atm if your heart is set on a Clan Assault, they're a bit too feast-or-famine for most players and the locked tonnage does a number on build variety (though not as badly as one would think, and they might become more popular post-Power Draw/Alpha tweaks, maybe, but who knows for sure).

The Highlander IIC can skirt ghost-heat readily by abusing the amount of DHS it can cram in and do some fairly nasty DPS builds (which may become more popular after that whole Alpha striking switch, but who knows), though right now it isn't a big alpha king. That said, it's a very, very frustrating mech; even with some great results from it, I really, -really- can't recommend it right now personally. It has outright been my most frustrating mech to use and level, you -really- feel how sluggish it is and the problems it has with its hitboxes. Until they give it some Torso Twist increases quirk wise at the very least, it's just in a really bad spot despite the potential it could have had, and this coming from someone who has gotten some surprisingly badass matches out of it. It's just way, way too feast or famine for now.

#3 Washcloth Repairman

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:28 AM

Is there any Heavy or Assault Mechs that can carry 5 or 6 UAC/2, and plenty of ammo? Maybe an EMC or AMS too?

#4 Washcloth Repairman

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:51 AM

Nevermind, I found one. It was right in front of me the whole time.

#5 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:57 AM

Seeing as you are not affiliated with Clan I strongly suggest I.S. dakka. The after quirk dps on some of those builds is insane.

I have good results running UAC-20 + UAC-10 + 2x ermlas on my Warhawk. Engagement ranges are usually less than 300 meters though. I don't know if that is what you wanted.

Are you looking to spend c-bills? Your post was not clear on that.

#6 Washcloth Repairman

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:09 AM

I was open to spending some MC but now I don't have any, so yeah, CB. Thanks for the advice, but I don't see the Dakka anywhere?

#7 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:11 AM

IS mech:

Mauler

#8 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:27 AM

^ Dakka is slang for boated ballistics. I think it comes from Warhammer 40K lingo.

I recommend Jagermechs or Maulers specifically.

Edited by Spheroid, 04 April 2016 - 08:27 AM.

#9 Steinkrieg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 144 posts
  • LocationNOLA

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:13 AM

You can run full ****** dakka on DWFs. I have a 4 cUAC5 and a 6 cUAC2 built out that are fun.

Re: Gargies - the best thing I came up with is this with Range 5 and CD 5 modules for the cERSLAS - GAR-D. If you are really good at assisting off of main pushing assaults, you can rip through the enemy that they core. The cERMLAS are there as backup and kill shot, and I do not use them in my normal rotation of fire unless I know I can kill with them because of the added heat. You could conversely run something like this build - GAR-D, which gives you more mid range poke.

EXEs fill a roll of flanker and counter flanker, and you have to get used to that. Being a 95 tonner, you want to run it as a main pusher or counter pusher, but it does not do well in those roles. You'll probably want to run a cUAC20, 4 cERSLAS, and a cLPLAS. Not a high alpha, but it can sustain quite well as an assister and you will steal kills.

I have no experience on the Highlander IIC, but years on the Highlander. If they are at all similar, it can be a nasty nasty mech in the right hands. I'd default to the opinion of those above on it.

I agree with a previous poster that the WHK are likely the best and easiest to get used to running. They run great LRM builds and brawling builds, as well as being a decent sniper. It really needs speed tweak in order to shine, though. That extra kph does wonders for it. Again, you'll probably not want to lead the charge with it, but if a 100 tonner is leading a push or charge, you will realy need to follow it as it can clean up better than the GAR and EXE.

#10 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:39 PM

The B33F almost sold me on Dire Wolfs:

#11 zudukai

• Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 09:44 PM

know the acronyms? IMO
(maybe kdk) whk, exe, hgn-2c, dwf, gar.

in that order, they all kinda suck though..

#12 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:26 AM

View PostWashcloth Repairman, on 04 April 2016 - 07:51 AM, said:

Nevermind, I found one. It was right in front of me the whole time.

King Crab - oh wait, you already have those (and you tore my Dire Wolf's face off earlier on Viridian Bog, too)

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users