- - - - -

Fix Mwo Client After Reinstall Windows?

16 replies to this topic

#1 ExecutionerMechNeedLove

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:04 AM

I reinstall my WinXP (format C etc.), install drivers, microsot VC, netframework, DX9c, and other prog.
I launch MWO Repair tool and fix errors. but it is not help.

Any chance to ressurect MWO client without redownload 11Gb?
Maybe i just can added some info about game throught RegEdit manually? or something else?

#2 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:33 AM

I wouldn't recommend editing registry information. The installion process would also unpack files, create directiory structures, create config files, and possbily add information to your env and classpath. While it is possible to do all this yourself, the time it would take to collect this information from PGI, if they are willing to share, which I would doubt for security and cheating reasons, would far exceed the time it would take to redownload the game.

Finally, as an IT professional with far too many security certifications, I would be remiss if I did not encourage you to upgrade your OS. XP has been unsupported for over two years. You are exposing yourself to cosiderable risk by still using this OS.

Edit: Correcting spelling and grammar errors.

Edited by Spike Brave, 11 June 2016 - 09:37 AM.

#3 ExecutionerMechNeedLove

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:49 AM

upgrade your OS
not impossible on this PC.

many games check and create configs automatically after first launch (even if you delete it). probably, reg information it is only problem, because windows don't know that MWO exist.
but probably you right, maybe better just redownolad it. but it is too long... Posted Image

Edited by ExecutionerMechNeedLove, 11 June 2016 - 09:50 AM.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:33 AM

try running the installer and pointing it to the current location of the MWO files, there is a chance it will notice them amd realise it does not need to do the full game download, apparently this has worked for others in the past.

I second everything Spike Brave said, messing around with the registry is a bad idea unless you know what you are doing, if you had a backup of the old reg settings you could try restoring just the sections about MWO but even that could potentially break something.

Windows 7 or 10 could be a worthwhile upgrade if as you said it is not impossible to upgrade the OS on that PC, but I am assuming you meant not possible OR impossible rather than not impossible.

if it takes too long to download start it before going to bed, I am blessed with a fast internet connection which only took about an hour to download and install (shortly after that 12gb patch a few months ago), but that was not always the case, there was a time it took about 6 hours to download the (at the time) 5GB MWO

#5 ExecutionerMechNeedLove

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:54 AM

I think I trying install it at the same folder. Maybe it can work.

#6 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:55 AM

If your PC can run MWO, you can upgrade windows on it. Don't run XP on anything anymore, it's (even by Windows standards) horribly insecure.

#7 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,735 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:10 AM

You should not have to reinstall MWO.

On your shortcut, right click, properties. What is listed in Target and in Start in?

And what exactly is happening, because there is no special reg settings to start the game, using MechwarriorOnline.exe in the MWO\32bin folder.

You can try the shortcut setup to bypass the patcher to see if the game will launch.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 11 June 2016 - 11:42 AM.

#8 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,735 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:37 AM

0 Posted Image Is XP fully patched? Once the following has been installed, repatch XP again.

1st. XP 32/64bit? May have better luck forcing 32bit game play.

http://mwomercs.com/...client-missing/

2nd. Dx9c installers are not the same, meaning that you could install an older one and not have the necessary files installed.

https://www.microsof...ls.aspx?id=8109

This is the last time it was updated, version 9.29.1974. The dxwebsetup one (small download) will not always run. Use and save the redistribution package for re-installations.

3rd both versions
64bit Microsoft Visual 2010 version
https://www.microsof...s.aspx?id=14632

32bit Microsoft Visual 2010 version
https://www.microsof...ls.aspx?id=5555

Net4
https://www.microsof...s.aspx?id=17718

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 11 June 2016 - 11:38 AM.

#9 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:45 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 11 June 2016 - 11:10 AM, said:

You should not have to reinstall MWO.

On your shortcut, right click, properties. What is listed in Target and in Start in?

And what exactly is happening?

after formatting the C drive and reinstalling Windows you will have to install the majority of programs, even of they were saved on another drive, some programs may work without a repair but most will not, you may not have to re-download it but will have to reinstall, or at the very least repair the installation for MWO

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 11 June 2016 - 11:46 AM.

#10 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,735 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 12:14 PM

Luckily MWO is not one of them. As long as the necessary programs that MWO requires "are" installed it will run. I just moved my copy of MWO to another harddrive, while running XP. Recreated the shortcut and good to go. I use the same folder be it with XP, Win 8.1 and Win10.

#11 Spangle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 110 posts
  • LocationNorthumberland, UK

Posted 11 June 2016 - 01:59 PM

When I did a fresh install of Windows 10, MWO is on another drive, I just redownloaded the client (60Mb) pointed it to the directory on the other drive and once installed it fired straight up

#12 ExecutionerMechNeedLove

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 02:08 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 11 June 2016 - 11:37 AM, said:

Is XP fully patched? Once the following has been installed, repatch XP again.

yep. it is the same windows which i use before to play MWO.

View PostTarl Cabot, on 11 June 2016 - 11:37 AM, said:

1st. XP 32/64bit? May have better luck forcing 32bit game play.

32bit (x86)

I upgrade DX version by link, cuz i have different version (and i already have the same version of netFR and VCredist, for 32bit win)

i try "-nopatch" in and then MWO show me:
"Error. Failed to initializate game!"

without nopatch it say me, that MWOClient can not be run directly.
any ideas?

If your PC can run MWO, you can upgrade windows on it.

sure it can, my PC is not weak. i can upgrade windows, but i need winXP.
so... i know what i'm doing xD. w7-10 is not an option, so please, no need to tell me upgrade my win =)

When I did a fresh install of Windows 10, MWO is on another drive, I just redownloaded the client (60Mb) pointed it to the directory on the other drive and once installed it fired straight up

ok, i trying this way little later.

Edited by ExecutionerMechNeedLove, 11 June 2016 - 02:14 PM.

#13 ExecutionerMechNeedLove

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 02:33 PM

oh, thx guys. it working.
i download installer, and go to the same folder. it scan files, create icon, and it's Ok.

now my Executioner can execute again! nyah

#14 ExecutionerMechNeedLove

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 03:00 PM

Wait! it is to early to say "hooray!" Posted Image
when i start game, it launch MWOnline.exe in process, then MWOpatcher.exe, and open game-launcher
when i press "play button" it leading to "Error. Failed to initializate game!"

hm...

Edited by ExecutionerMechNeedLove, 11 June 2016 - 03:01 PM.

#15 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 03:05 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 11 June 2016 - 10:55 AM, said:

If your PC can run MWO, you can upgrade windows on it. Don't run XP on anything anymore, it's (even by Windows standards) horribly insecure.

Well it is still good for a legacy machine... I've been meaning to get my Old 2K system up and running.. Just patch up to the latest and use it as an off line gamer machine.. I got a handful of 32 bit games that just won't run on 64 bit systems.. For the life of me i can't get mech 4 to run on this machine because of vid card issues. I also have a copy of Blade runner, (all 4 disks in mint!) and an old starwars game. I also use it to just play some older games from mid 90's to very early 2k's.. give my other computer a break and longer life.. :) Just found the new HD i bought for it to get it running too!

But yea,, ya might as well upgrade to windows 10.. Win 7 is going to be unsupported in just a few more years, so it is kinda forced upgrade for me, as i might as well just update and keep this OS supported for another 4-5 years at least.. to bad i can't get another copy with my vista key.. that system was rock solid for me for years, despite how many people said it sucked, i never had any issues running anything on it.

#16 ExecutionerMechNeedLove

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 03:11 PM

on previous windows i have
NetFrame 2.0
NetFrame 3.0
NetFrame 3.5
NetFrame 4.0

now i have only 4.0

it is possible that i need not only 4 version of NF, but and previous versions too?

#17 ExecutionerMechNeedLove

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 03:51 PM

Yes guys. Problem is solved. thx all.

You need NetFramework 3.5 to play MWO on windows XP.
probably, win7 or higher have it buy default, but winXP - not.

so...hi there!
Spoiler

yay...look like i overdone with drugs low graphics too much to acuire my 100 fps xD
Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users