9 replies to this topic

#1 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 05 April 2016 - 09:57 PM

Okay, okay. Maybe the folks running this thing are oddballs who PREFER Skirmish, and who find it interesting and all that. And there's nothing WRONG with that, per se. Only, SKIRMISH is actually pretty boring to watch, and as others have pointed out elsewhere, doesn't do much to incentivize good strategy and an exciting-to-watch-or-participate-in match.

NO, no, it simply won't do for THE MWO World Championship 2016.

CONQUEST is the mode most used right now, I think. It's the MRBC mode, anyhow, and that's a pretty cool competition to watch.

Also, I see some potential for DOMINATION, similarly. It also incentivizes the opposing teams to move in and engage one another, and really kinda REQUIRES that they close the range, at least with PART of the team (all the more important with 8-mech teams, instead of 12s). Maybe a slightly customized comp-only iteration of Domination would be appropriate, where there's a shorter timer for the win, meaning it's IMPERATIVE for each team to get SOMEONE into range QUICKLY, or risk losing it all, and not to leave that SOMEONE hanging in there. So, SPEED gets some emphasis, and really for the whole team.

So yeah. Conquest is tried and true. Domination is FUN, and has potential, as it can force the engagement. Both put some emphasis on the mechs' SPEED. Pick one of those, and try to make yourselves forget that you ever chose Skirmish, even as a placeholder. It's okay. We still <3 y'all!

Really.

We do.

TL;DR- ditch Skirmish, use Conquest or a modified Domination instead.

#2 Cy Mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:11 PM

The new Assault mode is supposed to be out in May. Use Conquest and the new Assault mode. That should make for some interesting offensive and defensive strategies.

#3 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:19 PM

Y'all ready for this?
  • Game Mode: Conquest
  • Format: Best of 3; teams switch sides each round
  • 3rd/Tie-Breaker Round (If Applicable): Domination
  • Player Count: 8 versus 8
  • Match Timer: 10 Minutes
  • Map: TBA
  • Region:
    • North America (The Americas)
    • Europe (Europe and Africa)
    • Oceanic (Asia and Oceanic)
  • Time of Day: Day
  • View Mode: First Person Only
  • Tonnage/Class Rules: 2,2,2,2 (No Duplicate Chassis)
Boom

#4 MT Slayer

Banned-Cheating

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 05:35 AM

NO NO NO and heck no
there are a lot of us from closed beta and on who are FOREVER burnt out on conquest
and love skirmish

Edited by MT Slayer, 07 April 2016 - 05:36 AM.

#5 MechWarrior5152251

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:05 AM

If you don't know how to actually shoot and destroy enemy mechs you are just wasting your money entering a competitive tournament. Most people playing this game would be much happier sticking to pve.

#6 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 10:30 AM

View PostMT Slayer, on 07 April 2016 - 05:35 AM, said:

NO NO NO and heck no
there are a lot of us from closed beta and on who are FOREVER burnt out on conquest
and love skirmish

It isn't so much about the game mode as it is about ensuring balanced team play.

For example, on Terra Therma one of the teams is actually closer to the center and can always get there first. In skirmish, don't expect that team to leave one of the most advantageous positions on the map, so you're forced to either:
- Wait out the full timer for a draw.
- Push into a terrible situation that you're most likely going to lose.

Very few maps are truly balanced equally between both teams. Conquest prevents teams from camping these locations.

#7 lpmagic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 319 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 10:54 AM

View PostMT Slayer, on 07 April 2016 - 05:35 AM, said:

NO NO NO and heck no
and love skirmish

I don't like skirmish much either on a personal note.

But

If you don't force teams to take care of something, anything, they will get static, it has been proven over and over again. You set things up for long range fighting, and trust me , teams will find the spot they WANT to camp, and they will, you can't get around it, we tried almost every possible thing in the comp scene to make skirmish work in a scenario of competition, skirmish created the campers, and promotes static game play, every time, all the time, and is like watching paint dry. go back and watch some OLD RHOD stuff, and I'm telling you, you will be bored to tears. Conquest forces teams to try to control 2/3 rd's of the map at all times, or, kill all the enemies and then cover the map. Skirmish lets me field 8 mechs, put them where they are nigh on invulnerable to approach, and wait for a pick, or, take a draw. I promise I'm not being a jerk here, it really matters that there HAS to be an objective. <S>

#8 lpmagic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 319 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:02 AM

View PostAresye, on 05 April 2016 - 10:19 PM, said:

Y'all ready for this?
  • Game Mode: Conquest
  • Format: Best of 3; teams switch sides each round
  • 3rd/Tie-Breaker Round (If Applicable): Domination
  • Player Count: 8 versus 8
  • Match Timer: 10 Minutes
  • Map: TBA
  • Region:
    • North America (The Americas)
    • Europe (Europe and Africa)
    • Oceanic (Asia and Oceanic)
  • Time of Day: Day
  • View Mode: First Person Only
  • Tonnage/Class Rules: 2,2,2,2 (No Duplicate Chassis)
Boom

I like most of this Aresey

But (lol)

I think best of 5

I think 15 minute time limit (or better yet move it to 20 on a private load)

I think vary the drop calc in multiple variations thereof, 2,2,2,2 is fine and fun, but pigeon holes a few too many strategies and does not allow for quite enough variation, I feel like there should be some tonnage drops, and some L,M,H,A drops sprinkled throughout.

Remember we have no idea if this is going to be "weekly" for 6 months, or like "bi weekly" or "monthly" we have no idea of the format. This particular tourney stands a good chance to displace other leagues until it's over thus it should be somewhat tailored to be at least a little longer then 3 matches just to make up for all the down time we will likely experience, i know i for one would be upset at 3 drops every 2 weeks, you prolly would too :)

#9 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:21 AM

View Postlpmagic, on 07 April 2016 - 11:02 AM, said:

Remember we have no idea if this is going to be "weekly" for 6 months, or like "bi weekly" or "monthly" we have no idea of the format. This particular tourney stands a good chance to displace other leagues until it's over thus it should be somewhat tailored to be at least a little longer then 3 matches just to make up for all the down time we will likely experience, i know i for one would be upset at 3 drops every 2 weeks, you prolly would too Posted Image

Rumor has it that it will be a Round Robin format, as PGI doesn't have any metrics to seed teams correctly.

Personally, the mere possibility of a Round Robin style tournament with 100-150 teams over 3 months absolutely terrifies me. That would be a nonstop supersonic flight straight to burnout.

#10 lpmagic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 319 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:45 AM

View PostAresye, on 07 April 2016 - 11:21 AM, said:

Rumor has it that it will be a Round Robin format, as PGI doesn't have any metrics to seed teams correctly.

Personally, the mere possibility of a Round Robin style tournament with 100-150 teams over 3 months absolutely terrifies me. That would be a nonstop supersonic flight straight to burnout.

ya me too, but I suspect it will be like 50 teams per region (ish) (NA might have as many as a hundred or so) and stretched over 3-5 months it won't be all that hectic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users